New signings

1201 posts
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

Re: New signings

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 16:18

How the oxf*rd would you know.

I trust Brendan far more than you on who this club needs.

Yes well you would, if its good for Brendan its good for me, - the fact that you rate Howard just about sums you up! Cock!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:18

Royal Rother
Hogmeister Royal
West Stand Flash lets hope the Howard deal goes through otherwise we look a little lightweight in midfield.

Whilst we may disagree about the quality of central midfield, we are certainly not short of quantity. For just three starting places (assuming 4-5-1) I make it that we currently have nine players (choose your own preferred order)... Harps, Marek, McAnuff, Tabb, Bryn, Karacan, Davies, Gylfi and Cisse. So an on any given day you'd expect 7 of those to either be on the bench or not involved at all(albeit some of those names can and do play in other positions, of course).

So I don't think we're lightweight there and, in fact, central midfield is the primary position where we could easily let a couple go.

I tend to agree, Howard doesn't seem very necessary. Certainly can't see it happening if Harper and Marek stay on our books. What'd be the point?

Maybe Brendan believes Howard would up the quality of the midfield....

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:19

Gus the teenage cow
W&E Royal
Gus the teenage cow brenda said we were getting in 3 or 4 after rasiak and mcanuff

ok so o dea is on and howard is on his way (no fees for both, surprise, surprise)

i want at least one decent permanent signing and ideally two

two from these three and I'll be satisfied:

stock, campbell-ryce, king

Since when do you decide which players we sign or don't sign?

????

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:21

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY How the oxf*rd would you know.

Yes well you would, if its good for Brendan its good for me, - the fact that you rate Howard just about sums you up! Cock!

Bless.

Brendan Rodgers = Highly respected coach.
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY = Keyboard warrior.

Yes, I can see why your opinion is of more value to the club.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 16:21

Im sure that Rodgers said to Bugs "go and get Brian Stock" so he went and got Brian Howard...he's not having a good time lately!

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Sep 2009 16:22

I want Marek to go and Harps to stay and then for Howard to come in. He gives us something different. And Marek let's face it, has had his chance and blown it. Harps is more adaptable so if any of the two stayed I'd expect it to be him. Marek is talented but is awful at tackling and lightweight. Howard, from what I have seen, is pretty nifty and bright (he was Barnsley's captain and playmaker).

But what could happen is Both stay. Marek rots in the reserves and Howard fights Mcanuff and others for a starting place in the first team.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 01 Sep 2009 16:22

How many times have our scouts watched Stock and Howard?

I'd guess between them over 100 times.

We all know from the opions people have of our players from the outside. It's impossible to make a judgement on a player without watching them pretty regular.

The little I've seen of both them seem different types of players. The fact we're going to Howard shows the type of player we want, which rules out Stock.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 16:23

winchester_royal

Bless.

Brendan Rodgers = Highly respected coach.
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY = Keyboard warrior.

Yes, I can see why your opinion is of more value to the club.

Lets give you the benefit of the doubt for now - lets see how Howard gets on and then I can take the full p**s out of you!

Hogmeister Royal

by Hogmeister Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:23

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Im sure that Rodgers said to Bugs "go and get Brian Stock" so he went and got Brian Howard...he's not having a good time lately!

:lol: Surely you don't mean that "his stock has fallen"?

...I'll get my coat

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 Sep 2009 16:24

People on the Team board in resorting to childish insults shocker.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:24

Archie's penalty I want Marek to go and Harps to stay and then for Howard to come in. He gives us something different. And Marek let's face it, has had his chance and blown it. Harps is more adaptable so if any of the two stayed I'd expect it to be him. Marek is talented but is awful at tackling and lightweight. Howard, from what I have seen, is pretty nifty and bright (he was Barnsley's captain and playmaker).

But what could happen is Both stay. Marek rots in the reserves and Howard fights Mcanuff and others for a starting place in the first team.

Ermm....I don't think so.

W&E Royal

by W&E Royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:24

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Im sure that Rodgers said to Bugs "go and get Brian Stock" so he went and got Brian Howard...he's not having a good time lately!

Perhaps we're not in for Stock, perhaps we were and he turned us down, perhaps Rodgers doesn't rate him, perhaps Donny were quoting £3-4mill!! Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps!!!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Sep 2009 16:24

Must admit if Harper and Matejovsky don't go I don't see the point of yet another midfielder whether he be Stock or Howard....

Would be good for Clodagh to explain this one.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 01 Sep 2009 16:25

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe How many times have our scouts watched Stock and Howard?

We all know from the opions people have of our players from the outside. It's impossible to make a judgement on a player without watching them pretty regular.

The little I've seen of both them seem different types of players. The fact we're going to Howard shows the type of player we want, which rules out Stock.

its down to money - Stock is rated at £3m, well above anything that we are going to pay - Howard as has been stated is a "makeweight" and cheap --like buying a Ford and a Mercedes ..you pay for the quality

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2009 16:26

winchester_royal
Royal Rother
Hogmeister Royal Whilst we may disagree about the quality of central midfield, we are certainly not short of quantity. For just three starting places (assuming 4-5-1) I make it that we currently have nine players (choose your own preferred order)... Harps, Marek, McAnuff, Tabb, Bryn, Karacan, Davies, Gylfi and Cisse. So an on any given day you'd expect 7 of those to either be on the bench or not involved at all(albeit some of those names can and do play in other positions, of course).

So I don't think we're lightweight there and, in fact, central midfield is the primary position where we could easily let a couple go.

I tend to agree, Howard doesn't seem very necessary. Certainly can't see it happening if Harper and Marek stay on our books. What'd be the point?

Maybe Brendan believes Howard would up the quality of the midfield....

Maybe he does (I'm sure there are many players who could do that) - but if we keep adding numbers to the midfield willy-nilly it just leaves us with some wasted wages which would be silly.

In answer to an earlier Q - if Marek and Harper both go then Brian Howard would be a useful addition to add experience to the midfield ranks.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Sep 2009 16:27

winchester_royal
Archie's penalty I want Marek to go and Harps to stay and then for Howard to come in. He gives us something different. And Marek let's face it, has had his chance and blown it. Harps is more adaptable so if any of the two stayed I'd expect it to be him. Marek is talented but is awful at tackling and lightweight. Howard, from what I have seen, is pretty nifty and bright (he was Barnsley's captain and playmaker).

Why not? They're both left-footed no?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 16:28

Archie's penalty
winchester_royal

Why not? They're both left-footed no?

No.

Also McAnuff is a winger, and Howard plays in the middle.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 01 Sep 2009 16:28

I wonder if the scenario is that the Howard move was initiated because we thought we would get rid of Harps and/or Marek this window. Maybe BR has decided to let the Howard move progress with a view to loaning out one or both of those two players in the next few weeks.

Sonko on loan to Hull, by the way. Off topic I know...
Last edited by CMRoyal on 01 Sep 2009 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Sep 2009 16:29

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe How many times have our scouts watched Stock and Howard?

its down to money - Stock is rated at £3m, well above anything that we are going to pay - Howard as has been stated is a "makeweight" and cheap --like buying a Ford and a Mercedes ..you pay for the quality

It would only be a very slight exaggeration to say that our best signings over the last few years have all been of this ilk.

(And not all of our worst...)
Last edited by Royal Rother on 01 Sep 2009 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Sep 2009 16:30

winchester_royal No.

Also McAnuff is a winger, and Howard plays in the middle.

From what I have seen of Howard he can play across the midfield and is very left-footed. Anyway let's see what happens.

I hope Marek goes!

1201 posts