Harper Appreciation Thread

234 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Harper Appreciation Thread

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Sep 2009 18:03

He got 6 that season, what is your point, I was eating BTW.

In our first season in the Prem he got 3 and sidwell got 4, I still do not see the point tho.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 02 Sep 2009 18:10

Harps was a very good player and great character, from the things you hear about him e.g. first into training he is a credit to his profession.

I don't think I've ever seen a player who hugs the referee, squirts the contents of a water bottle into the face of one of his coaches and congratulates his opponents for making a good pass and I don't think I ever will again.

People may not have appreciated him properly but as one of the 05/06 players he'll always be a Reading legend.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Sep 2009 18:43

Harpers So Solid Crew He got 6 that season, what is your point, I was eating BTW.

In our first season in the Prem he got 3 and sidwell got 4, I still do not see the point tho.

My point was that he scores goals when on form, even as a defensive midfielder, but just goes into his shell when he's not.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 02 Sep 2009 18:55

1) Good only if in a good team.

2) Best (sideways) passer of the ball I've seen.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 02 Sep 2009 18:56

I thought this was a Harper appreciation thread?

Anyway - good luck fellah. You were a bit mental but we loved you for it. I'm sorry it had to end this way. Thanks for all you've given my club.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 02 Sep 2009 19:08

I for one am sorry to see him go.

I cannot understand why we've allowed him to leave on loan....if we don't want him, sell him or give him a free transfer! :?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Sep 2009 19:14

sandman Harps was a very good player and great character, from the things you hear about him e.g. first into training he is a credit to his profession.

I don't think I've ever seen a player who hugs the referee, squirts the contents of a water bottle into the face of one of his coaches and congratulates his opponents for making a good pass and I don't think I ever will again.

People may not have appreciated him properly but as one of the 05/06 players he'll always be a Reading legend.

Amen +1

Archies Volley II

by Archies Volley II » 02 Sep 2009 19:29

sandman Harps was a very good player and great character, from the things you hear about him e.g. first into training he is a credit to his profession.

spot on.

ChunkyMonkey

by ChunkyMonkey » 02 Sep 2009 19:44

Loved the guy for all the good work he did even when we knew that relegation from the Premiership was on the horizon.
His goal away at Villa that season said it all for me.
And he looks like my younger brother.
Definately be missed

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Sep 2009 19:56

ChunkyMonkey Loved the guy for all the good work he did even when we knew that relegation from the Premiership was on the horizon.
His goal away at Villa that season said it all for me.
And he looks like my younger brother.
Definately be missed

Agree with all that apart from the fact I don't know what your younger brother looks like!

PardewsLoveChild

by PardewsLoveChild » 02 Sep 2009 20:06

Really sad day for me seeing Harps go,i know it's the best for him and the football club but still very sad.

Got to know Harps really well from when i done the team coach and he was the most genuine footballer you could ever meet,always playing jokes on people and very LOUD with it.He would often come and sit down the front and talk to me on the way home from some long away trip(to keep me awake he used to say!!!!),always offering to lend me DVD's or CD's or trying to get me to stop and let him have a drive :shock: If we ever stopped in a services he would always ask me what i wanted and make sure i was taken care off.Often after games we would be driving around some town looking for a chip shop with him navigating,"Left here Si,right here Si" he would say then when i ended up facing the wrong way down a one way street he would vanish to the rear of the coach :lol: When i finally found one me and Ronnie G would go and get the food and Harps would be the only player EVER to come with us and help with 40 portions of chicken/fish/sausages and chips!!!!!!

Two things i will always remember about Harps.....

1,A reserve game away at Q.P.R. and i was helping place the water bottles around the pitch,during the game i was sat at the front of the stand on my own and there was a stoppage in the game and over came Harps wanting a drink,i threw him a bottle of water which he then squirted all the contents over me :roll:

2,Brentford away,yes THAT game,Harps did'nt play that day and i had the (mis)fortune of sitting in between Harps and Jamie Ashdown during the game.We were 1 - 0 down and i was being my negitive self as usual when Pardew brought on Curo,"Don't worry si,Curo will score" said Harps,"No he won't,we've fcuked it" i said,anyway you know the rest,Curo scores and there was me being hugged in a Ashdown/Harper sandwich jumping for joy with John Mackie climbing all over us for good measure :D

Those moments will live with me forever.....Greame Murty used to say that if the team was all components of a car Harps would be the engine oil.You can't run a car without oil in it's engine !!!!!!!!!!!!

Many Thanks Harps for everything you've done for my club......You're a Legend.............

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Sep 2009 20:12

Great post dude.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 02 Sep 2009 20:19

londinium Captain's arm band around leg.

Coppell impersonation on team bus 'Wine gums'

Goal against Palace away

Offering refs water bottles and not giving it to them

Team photos with hand on Kitsons knee.

and who can forget

rock, scissors, stone with Nicky Shorey was it.. some one enlighten me as to what match it was as i wouldnt mind seing that again.

Legend.... that is it.

Any help on The rock, paper scissors game anyone?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Sep 2009 20:26

300+ games for Reading, says it all really.

Job done Harps!

Percy's Rocket

by Percy's Rocket » 02 Sep 2009 20:33

It is a shame so many people knock him because he has done so much in the midfield for RFC and I think we will miss what he brings to the squad..I hope BR who had clearly made his mind up does not regret the decision...Karacan has to step in to this vital role..will he be as good ?

Harps was a great character too and totally committed to the cause as previous entries have shown.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 02 Sep 2009 20:37

Kthnxbai...hope you enjoy the local derby Harper - at least that atmosphere will be good before you pass the ball to the Wednesday striker for the winning goal on your home debut.

test icicles

by test icicles » 02 Sep 2009 20:47

Royalee Kthnxbai...hope you enjoy the local derby Harper - at least that atmosphere will be good before you pass the ball to the Wednesday striker for the winning goal on your home debut.

prick

REALROYAL

by REALROYAL » 02 Sep 2009 20:49

No Harper... So who is going to run back pointing and never getting the ball?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Sep 2009 21:05

REALROYAL No Harper... So who is going to run back pointing and never getting the ball?
wrong thread m8

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 02 Sep 2009 21:06

Woodcote Royal Your attention span is starting to impress me, Floyd, keep it up!!! You might learn something.

:lol:

What am I going to learn from you exactly, Sir? How to make friends and influence people, perhaps 8) ?

Wax Jacket well I hope he has a good time at Sheff U, plays well and doesn't irritate the shit out of people with his painful non-stop 'banter'

Well, quite. The kind of people who find James Harper in any way amusing are probably the same people who laugh at The Catherine Tate Show. Goodbye Harper; I will miss your pointing and the ludicrous way in which you wear your socks. Thanks for some good memories - goals against Palace and Liverpool stand out - amongst 8 years spent predominantly passing the ball back to our centre-halves.

234 posts