Reading Hall of Shame?

162 posts
strap
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading Hall of Shame?

by strap » 13 Sep 2009 19:59

Royalee Kebe, Rougier, Oster, Keith Jones, Paul Smith, Simon Shepherd, Emerse Fae, Greg Halford, Sam Sodje, Alan Bennett, Michael Duberry, Keith Scott, Paul Brayson, Jimmy Crawford, Elroy Kromheer, Peter Van Der Kwaak, Scott Howie, Stuart Gray, Jim McIntyre, Mass Sarr, Byron Glasgow, Sean Evers, Robert Fleck, Andy Hughes, Ray Houghton, Martyn Booty, Paul Bodin, Michael Meaker, Paul Holsgrove, Neville Roach, Alan Maybury, Peter Grant, Martin Williams, Dean Morgan, Lloyd Owusu, Paul Brooker, Dean Gordon, Michael Dobson, Aaron Brown, John Halls, Bobby Mihaylov, Shaun Goater, Bas Savage.

You need to add Paul Lemon to that Hall of Shame. Actually a few aren't really deserving.

Lloyd Owusu tried hard, and at least had a rapport with the fans
Duberry was solid at times, and we've had far worse
Jim McIntyre when he moved into midfield made a few apps of note, albeit in a shite team
Byron Glasgow was just silly with the drugs thing
Andy Hughes wore his heart on his sleeve if nohing else
I actually thought Ray Houghton had a few decent starts in an abysmal side
Booty and Bodin we've had worse
Dobson can't reallt count as he was only brought in as loan cover

Be interesting to see how many starts this lot made. I know Holsgrove managed something approaching 80!!! When Kebe gets to that number he will without doubt be the worst player to ever have worn the hoops. McAnuff will be fit soon and hopefully we will never have to see Kebe in the 1st XI EVER again.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 13 Sep 2009 20:02

Malcolm Swain

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 13 Sep 2009 20:07

how in gods name has Mark Reilly not been mentioned yet?

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Sep 2009 20:18

Royalee
PEARCEY
Royalee Kebe, Rougier, Oster, Keith Jones, Paul Smith, Simon Shepherd, Emerse Fae, Greg Halford, Sam Sodje, Alan Bennett, Michael Duberry, Keith Scott, Paul Brayson, Jimmy Crawford, Elroy Kromheer, Peter Van Der Kwaak, Scott Howie, Stuart Gray, Jim McIntyre, Mass Sarr, Byron Glasgow, Sean Evers, Robert Fleck, Andy Hughes, Ray Houghton, Martyn Booty, Paul Bodin, Michael Meaker, Paul Holsgrove, Neville Roach, Alan Maybury, Peter Grant, Martin Williams, Dean Morgan, Lloyd Owusu, Paul Brooker, Dean Gordon, Michael Dobson, Aaron Brown, John Halls, Bobby Mihaylov, Shaun Goater, Bas Savage.

Very harsh on Scott Howie , Martin Williams and Martyn Booty. They were not that bad for us.

Wycombe away springs to mind with Howie. Martin Williams was a sign of how poor we were at the time and Booty was utterly useless.

I remember Williams scoring a bullet of a header at Wycombe...brilliant goal. Howie was a decent keeper....all keepers have bad games here and there. Booty was a standard full-back. Nothing special but not utterly useless.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 13 Sep 2009 20:24

Malcolm Swain = good shout - in fact most of that season's squad come to think of it.

We finished 16th in Div 4 and were hammered 5-0 at Workington in front of 1100 fans.

Things are not that bad now !

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Sep 2009 20:25

Michael Barnes, Gary Donnellan - clueless

James Lambert was one of the most talented players we've ever had :roll:

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2009 20:27

strap

You need to add Paul Lemon to that Hall of Shame. Actually a few aren't really deserving.

Lloyd Owusu tried hard, and at least had a rapport with the fans
Duberry was solid at times, and we've had far worse
Jim McIntyre when he moved into midfield made a few apps of note, albeit in a shite team
Byron Glasgow was just silly with the drugs thing
Andy Hughes wore his heart on his sleeve if nohing else
I actually thought Ray Houghton had a few decent starts in an abysmal side
Booty and Bodin we've had worse
Dobson can't reallt count as he was only brought in as loan cover

Be interesting to see how many starts this lot made. I know Holsgrove managed something approaching 80!!! When Kebe gets to that number he will without doubt be the worst player to ever have worn the hoops. McAnuff will be fit soon and hopefully we will never have to see Kebe in the 1st XI EVER again.

Adding to that reasoned reply, Holsgrove was excellent for his first six months, Andy Hughes was tolerable in a five man midfield and did on occassion score, and Peter Grant cannot appear on that list if Glen Burville and Derrick Christie have been left off.

What about:
Mike Conroy
Colin Gordon
Colin Duncan for that matter
David Bass
Robert Codner
and a personal favourite Ian Juryeff

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Ollie Kearns yet.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2009 20:27

Kim Sainsbury

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 13 Sep 2009 20:29

Deathy Based on players I've seen in the 17 years watching Reading:

CB: Paul Bodin,

Harsh judging his as a centre back when he played left back for us.

Can I add Keven Doyle was a rubbish right back and I never rated Shaka in central midfield ?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2009 20:29

In all honesty give it a couple of seasons and I'll be looking back and thinking fukcing hell Shane Long what a DONKEY whatever happened to him?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 13 Sep 2009 20:37

Andy Gurney seems to have escaped without a mention as well.

"One man went past Andy
Went past Andy Gurney
One man and his guide dog
Went past Andy Gurney"

:oops:

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 13 Sep 2009 20:49

ankeny Malcolm Swain

You've got it in one.

Older supporters will have no hesitation in backing you up with that one. Younger fans think they have seen shite when they watch Kebe play but they should have seen Malcolm.
Running him close for worst ever would be Martin James, with a mention for Michael Barnes and Gary Donellan (as suggested by Schards).

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 13 Sep 2009 21:16

I have chosen my hall of shame team, they had to be players who played a significant number of games for Reading (excluding Michael Dobson etc, who I think is a bit unfair to include as he hardly played)

GK: Simon Sheppard

DR: Martyn Booty
DL: Steve Swailes
DC: Barry Hunter
DC: Elroy Kromheer

MR: Michael Meaker
ML: Jimmy Kebe
MC: Andy Hughes
MC: Ray Houghton

FW: Keith Scott
FW: Shaun Goater

S1: Steve Mautone
S2: Paul Brooker
S3: Sean Evers (didnt play much but has to be in as he was so ridiculously expensive)
S4: Stuart Gray
S5: Jimmy Crawford

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2009 21:19

wasn't Shaun Goater our top goal scorer one season?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Sep 2009 21:23

Has anyone mention Alan Maybury yet? On loan from Leeds, virtually killed off our rmotion chances with an early sending off at home to Man City. March 99?

Rax

by Rax » 13 Sep 2009 21:24

Focher how in gods name has Mark Reilly not been mentioned yet?

+1

THE WORST player that I have seen by a country mile - and that includes some pub teams!

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 13 Sep 2009 21:25

2003/4 Goater was our top scorer yeah.

Half of these were scored in the first 3 games before Pardew left when the team was playing well. The other half were penalties. Think he top scored with about 12. He was still utter shiet though. Just stood there and expected. No pace. No first touch. No skill. No work rate. No off the ball movement. No passion. No vision or creativity. No nothing.

1st choice in my shame team, as he came with such high expectations and a fairly large tranfer fee. Similar story with Ray Houghton.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Sep 2009 21:25

Andy Hughes and Lloyd Owusu steal the show IMO, TBF they tried hard, but had the combined talent of a gnat.

John Oster also gets commendation for his RW performances in our relegation season.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 13 Sep 2009 21:27

come on paul Brooker was worse than Oster

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Sep 2009 21:31

roberto_11 2003/4 Goater was our top scorer yeah.

Half of these were scored in the first 3 games before Pardew left when the team was playing well. The other half were penalties. Think he top scored with about 12. He was still utter shiet though. Just stood there and expected. No pace. No first touch. No skill. No work rate. No off the ball movement. No passion. No vision or creativity. No nothing.
exactly the same qualities that made him such a success at Man Citeh....12 goals and still in the hall of shame? God help Carl Asaba

162 posts