Reading Hall of Shame?

162 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Reading Hall of Shame?

by Ian Royal » 14 Sep 2009 19:18

Brebner would have been a massive player for us if that stupid Scottish git hadn't flogged him on the cheap back over the border, the second things got tough.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 14 Sep 2009 20:11

Mid Sussex Royal Malcolm Swain = good shout - in fact most of that season's squad come to think of it.

We finished 16th in Div 4 and were hammered 5-0 at Workington in front of 1100 fans.

Things are not that bad now !

Steve Death,Les Chappel ,Wagstaffs and Terry Bell were good in their day

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 14 Sep 2009 20:21

Riseley Malcolm Swain was given the most awful time by the South-bank. The polite booing of the modern generation cannot compare to the spiteful taunting of us oldies.

To be honest I felt a bit sorry for him,he was only a young lad,but I have never heard a player heckled like it since

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 14 Sep 2009 20:24

URZZ Matthew Robinson..

Ooof, ......and back to the opposing midfield.

+1

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 14 Sep 2009 20:43

Ian Royal Brebner would have been a massive player for us if that stupid Scottish git hadn't flogged him on the cheap back over the border, the second things got tough.

He needed the move to clear his gambling debts.

ONLY 1 ROBIN FRIDAY

by ONLY 1 ROBIN FRIDAY » 14 Sep 2009 20:49

Ray Hiron .......................Circa 1975/76............... Signed from Portsmouth when well past his sell by date, can remember him shoting for goal from near penalty spot and go for throw in and that was one of his better effofts! :oops:

Far Canal

by Far Canal » 14 Sep 2009 20:52

Clearly everyone has erased Andy McLaren from their collective memories. I can quite understand why.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_McLaren

SeniorRoyal

by SeniorRoyal » 14 Sep 2009 21:32

I agree that Malcolm Swain got more stick than any other Reading player.If another Reading player was fouled,some wag (not that type) would always shout out to kick Swain instead.I know he was woeful,but he did not deserve all the abuse.

Sean Evers must have been the worst player we paid decent money for.Robert Fleck was not much better.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 14 Sep 2009 21:58

ankeny Malcolm Swain

Excellent (or shite) shout. A truly appalling footballer.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 Sep 2009 22:18

leww_rfc Shame on you all, Kebe is the reason we are on 6 points and not 3, he helped win that game in barnsley!!

He's the reason we're not in double figures yet, he's shit.

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 14 Sep 2009 22:42

Royalee
leww_rfc Shame on you all, Kebe is the reason we are on 6 points and not 3, he helped win that game in barnsley!!

He's the reason we're not in double figures yet

Spot on, along with all the other reasons.

Here's more:
Sal Bibbo
Phil Burns (once celebrated by Taking The Biscuit for a "legendary" save at Dean Court)
Anyone remember Gerry Britton? He played a few matches up front in McGhee's first season, he was desperate.

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 14 Sep 2009 22:53

Royalee

Yes, its all his fault.. :roll:

Looking at this season:
Forest Home(H) - he played 90 mins, 0-0.
Newcastle (A)- played 66 mins, came off when 1-0 down.
Swansea(A)-didn't play at all, 0-0, suppose it's his fault we didn't win.
Sheff U(H)-didnt play at all, we lost 3-1, completly his fault.
Barnsley(A)-set up all 3 of our goals, our first win.
Doncaster(H)- he played 90 mins 0-0

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Sep 2009 00:03

leww_rfc
Royalee

Yes, its all his fault.. :roll:

Looking at this season:
Forest Home(H) - he played 90 mins, 0-0.
Newcastle (A)- played 66 mins, came off when 1-0 down.
Swansea(A)-didn't play at all, 0-0, suppose it's his fault we didn't win.
Sheff U(H)-didnt play at all, we lost 3-1, completly his fault.
Barnsley(A)-set up all 3 of our goals, our first win.
Doncaster(H)- he played 90 mins 0-0

So what you're saying is, from the 4 out of 6 games he's played we've got over 80% of our points? And scored 75% of our goals?

I think he's shit, but he's quite clearly not the reason we haven't been winning. That's the combination of a team as a whole and the system and tactics employed. Ther is a very strong case for him being responsible for 3 of our 6 points though, as you so rightly say.

Even if he is a frustratingly useless waste of space most of the time.

Ryn

by Ryn » 15 Sep 2009 07:55

Kebe did in fact set up the three goals against Barnsley. For 60 minutes of that same match he was absolutely woeful.

Every other game he has played he has been woeful.

He's only playing because there's nobody else fit enough to play there.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 15 Sep 2009 10:17

Royal Rother
prostak
Deathy James Lambert

Think that's a little unfair. Pissing it all away isn't the same as being out-and-out worst.

Indeed - I missed Robin Friday but, for me, James Lambert was one of the most exciting / gifted players to play for Reading in the next couple of decades. Shame it all went awry and he never followed through on the early promise.

He's 36 today!!

Sorry, disagree with this. "He's just a tea boy at Monaco".

It never caught on (!) but that was his only claim to fame. He never really dazzled apart from the Forest game. He was far too cocky for his own good and would often dip in and out of games as and when he pleased. Like Mass Sarr but minus the McDonalds addiction.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 15 Sep 2009 10:36

Percy's Rocket I agree about Swain but Dick Habbin was widely regarded as the worst ever player we had seen from the South Bank and I am not sure I have seen anyone worse since.....and Jon Murray was the laziest.

Percy, how dare you! Habbin, Chappell, Freeman, Cumming - what a quartet they proved. Percy would have been nothing - nothing, I tell you - without the service....

BTW, wasn't there a geezer on loan called Robinson - right midfield - early 80s - he was rank poor.

And there was the night at Bradford when one of the young'uns came on as a sub - Giacometti? - and he was so bad that McGhee took him off again after about 15 minutes.

savannah

by savannah » 15 Sep 2009 11:09

Paul Holsgrove and Paul Brayson both seem deserving of a spot on the list.

And Bas Savage, what a blag...professional footballer...

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Sep 2009 12:57

SeniorRoyal I agree that Malcolm Swain got more stick than any other Reading player.If another Reading player was fouled,some wag (not that type) would always shout out to kick Swain instead.I know he was woeful,but he did not deserve all the abuse.

When I was a young lad growing up down in furthest East Kent , I used to follow Ramsgate - though being born in Battle Hospital and getting dragged up in B'nell 'til I was 11 - was primarily a Reading fan.
Anywho Swain and (Ray?) Flanagan were part of a double-signing made by the Rams in the early-mid 70's - Flanagan was quite a flashy player and the 'crowd' :? took to him - poor Swain (and I'm sure its the same one) however was absolute dump even at that level and soon drifted into the Reserves.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 15 Sep 2009 17:32

Four Of Clubs
SeniorRoyal I agree that Malcolm Swain got more stick than any other Reading player.If another Reading player was fouled,some wag (not that type) would always shout out to kick Swain instead.I know he was woeful,but he did not deserve all the abuse.

When I was a young lad growing up down in furthest East Kent , I used to follow Ramsgate - though being born in Battle Hospital and getting dragged up in B'nell 'til I was 11 - was primarily a Reading fan.
Anywho Swain and (Ray?) Flanagan were part of a double-signing made by the Rams in the early-mid 70's - Flanagan was quite a flashy player and the 'crowd' :? took to him - poor Swain (and I'm sure its the same one) however was absolute dump even at that level and soon drifted into the Reserves.

Did Flanagan play with Denis Allen ?Thus Flanagan and Allen(One for the oldies)

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Sep 2009 17:37

ankeny Did Flanagan play with Denis Allen ?Thus Flanagan and Allen(One for the oldies)

... doubt it - and besides thinking back, I'm certain his name was actually 'Flannigan' - F&A DID turn out for the Addicks I believe? :wink:

162 posts