Are you happy with the current state of RFC?

Poll ended at 04 Oct 2009 11:33
Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 79
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Sep 2009 11:33

The poll does what it says on the tin.

You're either happy with the way things are and can confidently see a run of good results very soon OR

You're entirely unhappy with the way things are and need to see changes, whether that be the management, style of play or team selection.

I predict the answers will be NO in the majority with only the usual suspects and their rose tinted glasses blindly voting yes. :evil:
Last edited by Royal Lady on 27 Sep 2009 11:35, edited 1 time in total.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Are you happy with the current state of RFC?

by cmonurz » 27 Sep 2009 11:34

I think 'indifferent' would actually poll highest, were it an option.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Sep 2009 11:36

Hmm - but I wanted to see a clear split between yes and no. Though I accept what you're saying. I've only run it for a week, so we'll see.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Sep 2009 11:53

Certainly not happy no. We are going in one direction at the moment and thats down.
I still think Rodgers needs two more months before he can properly be judged but if by the start of advent we are still struggling he has to go.
Can anyone seriously suggest his handling of James Harper our longest serving player was anything other than appalling?
He showed a real lack of man management in that instance and has shown his inexperience in so many other ways before and since.
He may turn out to be an excellent manager but needs to cut the bull-shit and stand up to Madejski and ensure money is made available to sign a decent striker in January. Otherwise he can have no excuses. After all he took the job on knowing that there would be cuts in the playing staff budget.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 27 Sep 2009 11:55

PEARCEY Can anyone seriously suggest his handling of James Harper our longest serving player was anything other than appalling?

I thought it was disgusting tbf.

I agree BR needs a couple more months and if some are to be believed on here, we will have new owners with vast sums of cash in by Christmas. Interesting January if true................

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 27 Sep 2009 12:16

Certainly anyone who has a lifetime of watching Reading, can be anything but happy. We were "promised" that we would get to the Premiership and yahoo we did !!.

But that sadly is where it has gone all wrong, scared stiff by the costs of being a top league club, Madejski has done his damndest to see we dont go back there, he has got what he wanted, in alll honesty how many had heard of him till he took over he club ?. He has used it perfectly, upped his public persona, got his knighthood and now has turned his back on the club and has no interest in it, he has got what he wanted out of it, and for him the first season in the top league was "job done". In his tv documentary when he was wearing a Reading shirt, what was all that about ??

I feel for BR as he has been brave or maybe stupid to take over at the "poison challlice" that Reading is becoming with this joke of an owner. He is taking all the flack for our present position, but Madejski has to take the majority of the blame, he has become a lame duck owner selling of the familly jewels and to hell with whats left. I found it amusing his comment recently that Reading had "broke the bank" to get promoted last season, he lost me there ???

The club has to be sold and soon, the value is plummeting and if changes are not made in ownership then who the hell is going to wat to come here in January, when we are being run and controlled by someone whose only interest is to destroy the club with his "brick by brick" dismantleing techniques.

Shevchenko

by Shevchenko » 27 Sep 2009 12:25

Delighted. Although we haven't got a large bank balance to dip into, the difference between what the club makes and what the club spends must surely be on the positive side.

We have a chairman who's written off plenty of club debt in his time and is a supporter of the club: He wont risk putting the club into financial trouble for the chance of an immediate positive response.

We have a manager who wants to be here: he's not here for a large wage. We have players who are playing for the club they support. Players who give 100% because they love the club as much as we do. We have players who, if they keep playing first team football will, in the next 5 years, be playing international football.

The only thing that isn't good, is the number of middle class, piano owning, daily mail reading, out of town commuters who wear their Man Utd and arsenal shirts most of the year, who come to Reading games when we're playing top premier league clubs and are nowhere to be seen when we're a division below.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2009 12:29

Shevchenko Delighted. Although we haven't got a large bank balance to dip into, the difference between what the club makes and what the club spends must surely be on the positive side.

We have a chairman who's written off plenty of club debt in his time.

We have a chairman who has talked about writing off plenty of debt in his time. But where is the hard evidence to show how much and when?

As for breaking the bank last season, I assume he's referring to his piggy bank?!

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 27 Sep 2009 12:41

Shevchenko
The only thing that isn't good, is the number of middle class, piano owning, daily mail reading, out of town commuters who wear their Man Utd and arsenal shirts most of the year, who come to Reading games when we're playing top premier league clubs and are nowhere to be seen when we're a division below.

The middle classes don't read dross like the Daily Mail, only those who aspire to that 'status'.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Sep 2009 13:20

I won't be voting as the two options available don't fit with my current feelings.....

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 27 Sep 2009 13:28

Poor poll.

Its clear as day that we are in the proverbial 'transition' period from one regime to the next and on that basis, we need to look at the current strength of the club/team/manager in that context.

Considering the dramatic nose-dive toward the end of the Coppell era, it was evident that he had run out of 'steam', as had the team - the form that side had was nothing short of relegation fodder. The club had a choice - it opted for a young manager, who resumé with working in youth football was second to none and had a strong affiliation with the club, I guy who cared about Reading. Its clear he had his own philosophy and players to implement that - which suited Mr Mad, who wished to minimise loss through cost cutting measures - to a)minimise his loss b)the club - to make a possible selling of the club much more attractive.

After de-constructing the Reading squad, BR has bought in several players, promoting a lot of the youth to the first team as a consequence of ^^. Thus, the effects are a disjointed and frustrating - glaring mistakes will be made (need not mention these as we all know what these are) but one has to be pragmatic and see 2 months down the line. The only mistake that I can see that we have already suffered, and will continue to suffer from, is the failure to sign Smith - a lot of the problems we face on the pitch indicate this - but hey, shit happens, we need to find a way around the problem.

I got annoyed when he decided to keep Kebe on yesterday, but in hindsight - Jobi had not played this season, recovering from an injury, it was best to choose him over Jimmy.

Summary;
As for the finance, it appears that for a football club - we are acting within our means and the bank balance, is at least, acceptable for in this business.

The manager, despite his naivety and some times nauseating positivity, is a young, hungry and intelligent guy with an eye for talent (and nurturing it). He'll master his role.

The team, still a few bits of deadwood out there - but IMO - missing only a right winger and quality striker. Once those roles as satisfied, we'll look half dangerous and the defence will then have not so much pressure to keep a clean sheet. Top marks for the fullbacks, Keeper isn't all that bad, the best centre-mid pairing will begin to shine soon, hopefully becoming more consistent.

On that basis, I see the light - of course results and performances aren't there yet - but we aren't that far off....

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Sep 2009 13:53

Tails Poor poll.

Its clear as day that we are in the proverbial 'transition' period from one regime to the next and on that basis, we need to look at the current strength of the club/team/manager in that context.

Considering the dramatic nose-dive toward the end of the Coppell era, it was evident that he had run out of 'steam', as had the team - the form that side had was nothing short of relegation fodder. The club had a choice - it opted for a young manager, who resumé with working in youth football was second to none and had a strong affiliation with the club, I guy who cared about Reading. Its clear he had his own philosophy and players to implement that - which suited Mr Mad, who wished to minimise loss through cost cutting measures - to a)minimise his loss b)the club - to make a possible selling of the club much more attractive.

After de-constructing the Reading squad, BR has bought in several players, promoting a lot of the youth to the first team as a consequence of ^^. Thus, the effects are a disjointed and frustrating - glaring mistakes will be made (need not mention these as we all know what these are) but one has to be pragmatic and see 2 months down the line. The only mistake that I can see that we have already suffered, and will continue to suffer from, is the failure to sign Smith - a lot of the problems we face on the pitch indicate this - but hey, shit happens, we need to find a way around the problem.

I got annoyed when he decided to keep Kebe on yesterday, but in hindsight - Jobi had not played this season, recovering from an injury, it was best to choose him over Jimmy.

Summary;
As for the finance, it appears that for a football club - we are acting within our means and the bank balance, is at least, acceptable for in this business.

The manager, despite his naivety and some times nauseating positivity, is a young, hungry and intelligent guy with an eye for talent (and nurturing it). He'll master his role.

The team, still a few bits of deadwood out there - but IMO - missing only a right winger and quality striker. Once those roles as satisfied, we'll look half dangerous and the defence will then have not so much pressure to keep a clean sheet. Top marks for the fullbacks, Keeper isn't all that bad, the best centre-mid pairing will begin to shine soon, hopefully becoming more consistent.

On that basis, I see the light - of course results and performances aren't there yet - but we aren't that far off....

Best post on here all weekend.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 27 Sep 2009 13:58

No.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 27 Sep 2009 13:59

Here's my view on the current state of RFC:

Financially, I can't think that we are in bad shape at all. I believe it was Nicky Hammond or Nigel Howe (someone in the boardroom) said that we were one of the few clubs to have made a profit last year. Now consider the amount of money we managed to get, but who we brought in as well, with Mills costing £2 million, and Cummings, McAnuff, Rasiak and Howard probably costing a fair amount as well. So we probably still have some money to buy a striker, and aren't in need to demand more, just we always have to be cautious in spending it.

As for the team, I can only really blame Rodgers for his decisions so far. Coppell left us in what has arguably been the greatest years for Reading FC, and I think the club would want to continue this high standard. What is needed is continuity, which Rodgers has definitely not done so far. We've had to change our style of play, had to bring in a lot of new faces and say goodbye to a good amount of the first team. We have yet to settled into this style and Rodgers hasn't exactly helped by not naming the same first XI for two consecutive games, and changing the formation. There have been one or two positives, with Darren O'Dea looking like a real coup (even if he's only staying until January) and have been happy seeing Sigurdsson playing well. But I still think we need some good results within the next month, otherwise we might be saying goodbye to Rodgers.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 27 Sep 2009 14:11

Shevchenko Delighted. Although we haven't got a large bank balance to dip into, the difference between what the club makes and what the club spends must surely be on the positive side.

We have a chairman who's written off plenty of club debt in his time and is a supporter of the club: He wont risk putting the club into financial trouble for the chance of an immediate positive response.

May I have a couple of puffs of whatever it is you're smoking please?!

It is true he isn't (yet) charging exhorbitant interest rates on the LOANS he has made the club. However, there is no evidence whatsover in the Club's accounts that he has ever written off ANYTHING.

I do wish people would do some research before blindly banging away at their keyboards. Here's another one for you - how much rent do you think Mr Mad charges for RFC to use the Hogwood complex? What? You thought RFC owned it? Sorry chap, wrong again. Mr Mad owns that, and receives £18,000 per year in rent from RFC for its use. Not a lot I grant you, but what happens when he decides he doesn't want hairy-arsed footballers trudging all over his nice pristine lawns anymore? So much for the rhetoric about "infrastructure" development!

At the last time of looking, the Hotel is 100% owed by RFC, and generated a profit of nearly 500k last accounts. So a nice little earner there. It was built using an interest free, (repayment on demand :shock: ), loan of c £17M from Mr Mad. So I can accept that he's "donated" interest costs for that. Perhaps that is what you were referring to? Although in the current low interest rate regime, he wouldn't be getting much for it on deposit.

Whilst it would be sad to see him relinquish his ownership on a sentimental level, from a club development perspective, like SSC last year, his time here is now at an end. Whether "wealthy Arabs" are the best way forward of course is an entirely different argument. Given the nonsense currently going on at Portsmouth, personally I'd steer clear of them by a million miles. "Shifty looking" doesn't begin to come close, or is that being too sterotypical? Probably, but you get my drift.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2009 15:15

Rather unspecific question there.

Am I happy with the results? No
Am I happy with the performances? No
Am I happy with the management? No
Am I happy with the players we have? Mostly yes.
Am I happy with the general principles the club is run under? Yes
Am I happy with the DoF & Chairman? Yes
I'm I happy with Rodgers being given a little more time? Yes

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Sep 2009 15:27

Ian Royal Rather unspecific question there.

Am I happy with the results? No
Am I happy with the performances? No
Am I happy with the management? No
Am I happy with the players we have? Mostly yes.
Am I happy with the general principles the club is run under? Yes
Am I happy with the DoF & Chairman? Yes
I'm I happy with Rodgers being given a little more time? Yes

Are Hammond & Madejski not part of "the management" then ? :|

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Sep 2009 15:28

No-one likes being near the bottom of the table, but at least Rodgers has created a platform which we can build from in the future.

We are only going to get better, on paper we have a team that is too good to go down, and there are a number of talented youngsters coming through, learning through experience.

TBH after all the change this summer, which was financially necessairy, it would have been unreasonable to expect more from the first couple of months.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Sep 2009 15:34

ecstatic :roll:

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 27 Sep 2009 15:36

winchester_royal No-one likes being near the bottom of the table, but at least Rodgers has created a platform which we can build from in the future.

We are only going to get better, on paper we have a team that is too good to go down, and there are a number of talented youngsters coming through, learning through experience.

TBH after all the change this summer, which was financially necessairy, it would have been unreasonable to expect more from the first couple of months.
I disagree.

The only platform you need build from is results. Once you have a winning mentality, then you can tinker with how you get the wins and get more "pretty" with your football. We aren't in the luxurious position to fanny around doing 1-2's between the defenders when we've got a serious points and goals defecit to worry about.

No team is too good to go down and if these youths were THAT good, Coppell would've used them more last season rather than signing the likes of Tabb.