Coppell - Can He Save Us???

222 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Would we be in the same position if Coppell stayed?

by Schards#2 » 27 Sep 2009 12:00

Royal Lady Like I said though, Woodcote has gone very very quiet of late. Won't be able to admit he was wrong though and will still slate Coppell!

Given Rodgers U Turn on using academy players, maybe he's sat in his car outside the ground waiting for the team to be announced again.

I wonder if he keeps the engine running.

<<makes mental note to bring length of hose to next home game>>

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Would we be in the same position if Coppell stayed?

by sandman » 27 Sep 2009 12:11

It's not just Coppell you have to consider it's his backroom team as well.
The goal we conceded yesterday was pathetic defensively.Would the same sort of goal have been scored if Downes was still defensive coach?

An assistant manager is often sighted as the guy the players can turn to as a confidant when things are going badly, Dillon was very good at that. Can anyone honestly say the same about Dean Austin and Lampard snr, you don't see either of them in the technical area.

adamh4608

steve coppell

by adamh4608 » 28 Sep 2009 12:24

If you could bring coppell back in as manager would you

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

Re: steve coppell

by readingbedding » 28 Sep 2009 12:26

Why would getting any new manager do any good.
The cat's out of the bag, the experienced players have gone...Many managers would have trouble getting the sort of results the now big club RFC fan would expect.

I VOTED YES THOUGH.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 12:27

not yet. Maybe in December

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 28 Sep 2009 12:29

No.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Sep 2009 12:30

A motivated Coppell who wants to do the job? - Absolutely Yes.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Sep 2009 12:33

Probably not, but wouldn't be definitely against it at some point in the future.

He's got form for returning to previous clubs !

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 28 Sep 2009 12:37

i'd like to see him return in some capacity, maybe replace mr hammond as director of football?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 28 Sep 2009 12:38

The Knitting Circle i'd like to see him return in some capicty, maybe replace mr hammond as director of football?

That would be asking him to do exactly the part of the job that he disliked !

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Sep 2009 12:40

I doubt Coppell would want the job.
He would be a lunatic to say yes in fact...
Most managers that the now BIG TIME RFC FAN would expect would now steer clear.

6 months is a long time in football.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 28 Sep 2009 12:43

I'd love Steve Coppell back.

He would have a new team to play with. Far fewer egos, and possibly new owners with deeper pockets. Under those circumstances, yes yes please.

specialjon

by specialjon » 28 Sep 2009 12:45

No thanks. He had his chance to get us to be a regular premiership team and failed. Time to move on.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 28 Sep 2009 12:46

specialjon No thanks. He had his chance to get us to be a regular premiership team and failed. Time to move on.

Quite right.

Onwards and downwards.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 28 Sep 2009 12:46

Schards#2 A motivated Coppell who wants to do the job? - Absolutely Yes.

But he doesn't want the job, Schards.

He stuck around last season because he knew he had one crack of the whip to get us back into the top-flight, before all of the big earners would have to be off-loaded. He knew that was the case and, upon failing to take us up for a second time, he was right to call it a day because building a new team from scratch was probably beyond him.

I respect a lot of what you say, but please, get a grip eh? Coppell knew exactly what he was doing when he walked and therefore it seems pretty strange to be wanting him back all of a sudden.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 28 Sep 2009 12:51

The Knitting Circle i'd like to see him return in some capacity, maybe replace mr hammond as director of football?

Despite my irrational dislike of the man, and the role he is allegedly carrying out, if he is the man responsible for pulling in nearly £30M (net!) in transfer fees in the last 3 years or so, then really he is a genius. Not ONE of the players sold has gone on to establish themselves with their new clubs, so clearly it was SSC that was responsible for them reaching the heights they did with us, and Squeaky deserves credit for squeezing as much as he has out of the various buyers. I'm not sure any previous RFC had the where-with-all to wheel and deal like that.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 28 Sep 2009 12:53

Thomas L'Heureux
Schards#2 A motivated Coppell who wants to do the job? - Absolutely Yes.

But he doesn't want the job, Schards.

He stuck around last season because he knew he had one crack of the whip to get us back into the top-flight, before all of the big earners would have to be off-loaded. He knew that was the case and, upon failing to take us up for a second time, he was right to call it a day because building a new team from scratch was probably beyond him.

I respect a lot of what you say, but please, get a grip eh? Coppell knew exactly what he was doing when he walked and therefore it seems pretty strange to be wanting him back all of a sudden.

He left because he didn't want the job, or indeed any job, at that time. That's why I caveated my answer the way I did, I wouldn't want the Coppell of the minset of the end of last season back.

If he came back from a six month break refreshed and up for a new challange I would welcome him with open arms. I don't think that's going to happen but if it did, I can't think of anyone with a better track record of getting results on a minimal budget and getting the best out of average players than Coppell. Can You?

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 28 Sep 2009 12:54

Sun Tzu
The Knitting Circle i'd like to see him return in some capicty, maybe replace mr hammond as director of football?

That would be asking him to do exactly the part of the job that he disliked !

he disliked it when he had the rest of the hussle and bussle of management life to tend to. maybe without all that hassle he might flourish in this kind of role? i would have thought bringing him back as manager is a knee jerk reaction to a slow start and would be quite unlike us.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 28 Sep 2009 12:56

No, he had reached his shelf life last Summer when we were relegated. No shortfalls of the current management team will make up for that.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 28 Sep 2009 12:57

Brilliant, i think im gonna take some time tonight and sift through the Anti Coppell comments from the 2nd half of last season, put some names to quotes, and post them on this thread. There would be some very stupid looking posters i can assure you.

Yes im worried we might go down like most, but to want Coppell back after losing all our best players (not Rodgers fault), and building virtually a new team after 9 games is in my opinion totally retarded and a fair reflection of modern day football supporters.

222 posts