by 79Royal » 27 Sep 2009 17:26

brendywendy hes had one very good half
& a good cameo as a sub
in th etwo games weve played our best.
he does well (erratically) when the rest of the team functions
but shouldnt be our 1st choice
currently he seems to be our only choice

+1

Kebe is the best we have in his position. I can't stand him, but if we want a right winger, he's the only out and out one we have. I'd rather see Davies play wide right, not likely to hit the byline, but might balance us a bit better and give Cummings some cover. Not likely to happen though, so we'll have to get used to seeing Kebe until January at least.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FAO Jimmy Kebe

by Archie's penalty » 27 Sep 2009 17:27

brendywendy hes had one very good half
& a good cameo as a sub
in th etwo games weve played our best.
he does well (erratically) when the rest of the team functions
but shouldnt be our 1st choice
currently he seems to be our only choice

But that's the nature of the times. Everyone else has gone!

I wouldn't mind trying Howard at left-wing and Mcanuff on the right.

Reckon Kebe would be a good impact substitute.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 27 Sep 2009 18:13

He's also looked far better on the left rather than the right. Just not as good as McAnuff.

Importantly involved in 3 of our 7 goals so far this season.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Sep 2009 22:32

Maguire Yeah Jimmy made O'Dea leave a nothing ball from deep and Jimmy made Federici stay stuck to his line.

Perhaps he didn't do that but he did set up the move in the first place, lazily watching the ball roll past him down the right touchline when he could easily have made the effort to stick out his leg and put it out for a throw. Even in a strong team he would be a passenger, bordering on a liability. In the present set up he's Christmas come early to the opposition.

Ryn

by Ryn » 28 Sep 2009 13:26

statto
By the way, think about over the years, Rougier, Soel, Oster, Kebe, Brooker - Is there a secret pact amongst the idiot boo boys to pick on right wingers?

Or is getting the type of winger everyone wants, ie Glen Little, really not that easy?

Soel is probably the best comparison to Kebe, as he had flashes of great ability but they were too infrequent.

Rougier was a striker who didn't score goals, that's why he was dumped on.

Oster and Brooker were just consistently poor.

Finding a player like Glen Little, is, evidently, extremely hard.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 28 Sep 2009 13:35

I like Kebe but second half on Saturday he was dreadful. It's psychological in part I think - just has a heart the size of a pea. Pushed off the ball a lot, no aggression, no goalscoring instinct (eg. when Bryn weaved through and got to the touchline, you'd think your right-midfielder would be getting into the back post, you know, where goals are scored. Instead the dinked cross is headed away easily by a left-back with nobody withink 10 yards of him and Jimmy stood miles away).

He needs a boot up his arse and also to be more direct. His strenth is his pace which is how he should stretch people - turn and run at them, shit them up.

Ryn

by Ryn » 28 Sep 2009 13:36

Maguire I like Kebe...

He needs a boot up his arse and also to be more direct. His strenth is his pace which is how he should stretch people - turn and run at them, shit them up.

+1

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 28 Sep 2009 13:44

i don't rate kebe very highly but unfortunately he the best we have right now.

it seems to be fashionable to hate kebe at the moment and every time we perform poorly it seems to be all his fault.

he does lose the ball quite a bit, but personally I'd rather watch him run at the defence and lose the ball, than watch it be passed around the defence for 10 mins before federeci hoofs it up the pitch.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 28 Sep 2009 13:45

I agree that he has too many faults. But with his size and speed he can terrify backs when he's hurtling at them down the wing. One thing Coppell understood from his own playing days is that a team with two very fast wingers can be irresistible.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 Sep 2009 13:55

facaldaqui I agree that he has too many faults. But with his size and speed he can terrify backs when he's hurtling at them down the wing. One thing Coppell understood from his own playing days is that a team with two very fast wingers can be irresistible.

But speed alone is not enough and that is something else that Coppell should have understood from his own playing days. Coppell had it, Kebe doesn't!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Sep 2009 13:57

Maguire I like Kebe but second half on Saturday he was dreadful. It's psychological in part I think - just has a heart the size of a pea. Pushed off the ball a lot, no aggression, no goalscoring instinct (eg. when Bryn weaved through and got to the touchline, you'd think your right-midfielder would be getting into the back post, you know, where goals are scored. Instead the dinked cross is headed away easily by a left-back with nobody withink 10 yards of him and Jimmy stood miles away).

As a confirmed Kebe hater I have to confess that what you say is correct; his pace is an asset but he's about as useful as a Formula 1 car without any brakes. He has absolutely zero footballing brain, as you allude to above with regard to his p*ss-poor positional sense. The fact that we have gone from a struggling Premier League team to a struggling Championship team in the 20 months in which Kebe has been a Reading player just sums up how badly downhill the club has gone and how standards have dropped.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 28 Sep 2009 13:59

I thought we were a lot more entertaining now than under Coppell and i loved Coppell. I applauded after the game as the players did try. Only thing i worry about Rodgers is, is that he likes to change the formation and players around. Must be confusing for the lads.

The Knitting Circle

by The Knitting Circle » 28 Sep 2009 14:03

Geekins I thought we were a lot more entertaining now than under Coppell and i loved Coppell. I applauded after the game as the players did try. Only thing i worry about Rodgers is, is that he likes to change the formation and players around. Must be confusing for the lads.

to be fair he hasn't changed it around anymore than coppell did towards the end of last season.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Sep 2009 14:22

floyd__streete
Maguire I like Kebe but second half on Saturday he was dreadful. It's psychological in part I think - just has a heart the size of a pea. Pushed off the ball a lot, no aggression, no goalscoring instinct (eg. when Bryn weaved through and got to the touchline, you'd think your right-midfielder would be getting into the back post, you know, where goals are scored. Instead the dinked cross is headed away easily by a left-back with nobody withink 10 yards of him and Jimmy stood miles away).

As a confirmed Kebe hater I have to confess that what you say is correct; his pace is an asset but he's about as useful as a Formula 1 car without any brakes. He has absolutely zero footballing brain, as you allude to above with regard to his p*ss-poor positional sense. The fact that we have gone from a struggling Premier League team to a struggling Championship team in the 20 months in which Kebe has been a Reading player just sums up how badly downhill the club has gone and how standards have dropped.
Shouldn't the manager and coaching team be ensuring that ANY players positional sense is improved upon - telling them where they should be for set pieces etc etc. I watch Jimmy sometimes and he looks like he's got no clue where he should be - if a retard mong like me can see that, why can't Rodgers and why can't he spend time working with him on his positioning during training? :|

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 28 Sep 2009 14:57

Royal Lady
floyd__streete

Shouldn't the manager and coaching team be ensuring that ANY players positional sense is improved upon - telling them where they should be for set pieces etc etc. I watch Jimmy sometimes and he looks like he's got no clue where he should be - if a retard mong like me can see that, why can't Rodgers and why can't he spend time working with him on his positioning during training? :|

How do you know he doesn't? :|

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Sep 2009 19:37

floyd__streete

That bloody ridiculous quick freekick he took in the first half is a prime example of the quality of footballing brain he has. Tries to catch Watford out by playing a quick ball to Rasiak(?) whilst he's got 4 defenders on him and is completely without support.

Stick a reliable player in front of Cummings and I think we'll see a much more productive right wing. Davies, Church, Long, Hunt... I'd rather not move McAnuff out there given how well he played on the left.

Kebe could be the ideal second half replacement for McAnuff. Can you imagine being the right back having just spent all game dealing with that quick, direct, tricky customer only to have old rubber legs runninig at you!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Sep 2009 21:27

The only good impact that Kebe could make on the pitch would be if he was pushed out of a plane, about 20,000 feet above the Mad Stad and without a parachute. If he hit the pitch then that would be quite an impact. Kebe is shit. Accept it. Move on. I know because the voice beyond the cabbage patch said so.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 28 Sep 2009 21:57

If Kebe leaves in January who will be the next player to be hounded out of the club?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Sep 2009 22:06

Choose from any of the following:

Adam Federici
Liam Rosenior
Chris Armstrong
Kalifa Cisse
Matthew Mills
Brynjar Gunnarsson
Jay Tabb