Should a new keeper be a January priority?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Should a new keeper be a January priority?

by SLAMMED » 18 Oct 2009 13:41

Barry the bird boggler No, Feds is OK for this level and there are other priorities

+1

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 18 Oct 2009 14:03

Barry the bird boggler No, Feds is OK for this level and there are other priorities

He is vulnerable in all sorts of areas. He's a jack in the box, you never know what's coming next. No one keeper has scared the shit out of me as much since Kwaak (sp?) and Sheppard.

Ryn

by Ryn » 18 Oct 2009 14:03

The Real Sandhurst Royal Nothing wrong with Fed's it the manager that is our problem.

+1

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 18 Oct 2009 14:23

There's much more to worry about in our side than a slightly iffy keeper. Even Marcus had his faults - for his size he wasn't the most commanding in the box. Federici can't have 30/40 games under his belt. He will improve, and if we are going to invest, I'd sooner it was in a proper full-back, a creative midfielder, a proper winger, or a goalscorer.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 18 Oct 2009 15:41

No we dont. Hamer should be given a chance first, he was Brentford`s player of the year last season

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Oct 2009 15:45

This is another sign of the stupidity of a lot of Reading fans. Any player not playing must be our saviour, and any player playing must be the cause of our problems and needs replacing.

Stick Hamer in for 5 games and everyone will be calling for Federici to come back in and save our season. Bring in a new keeper on loan and play him and everyone will be calling for Federici or Hamer to come in.

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 18 Oct 2009 15:48

No. Federici is alot better than Hamer.

Don't forget he also has TEN other players in front of him that can TRY to stop a team building up a chance.

This post was posted by FRF, a member of the Goalkeepers Alliance Group.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Oct 2009 19:15

Between Wycombe Royla and Dirk Gently they sum him up quite well. He can make excellent reaction saves. In all honesty, lots of professional keepers will make them. Federici's distribution is extremely good. But his judgement and positional sense is just appalling. Mcanuff's backpass was awful, why he's passing it back to his goalie from inside their half God knows but ti was an appalling effort, you can see with a shank like that the moment it's played if it could even possibly get back to you. Federici was absolutely no where near that ball, gives the goal away. Even if their guy latches onto it, if Federici goes back, he still has to be beaten with Cummings closing him down as well. By rushing out he gives the goal away.

The 3rd goal again was a lovely finish but awful goalkeepeing to be honest, once he comes for it he's got to get something on it, doesn't, 3-1.

As Wycombe says you can make 4 or 5 really good stops but if you are making stupid mistakes like this it's 2 goals against. It's not the first time this season at all.

Not a big fan of his, never have been and I would also agree there are other areas of the pitch that need addressing too, but Federici won't be the long term number 1 here.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 Oct 2009 19:26

Feds might be a weak link yes but I'd also look at our very weak RB position. Bertrand is only here on loan so we need a decent permanent left back. Ingi is getting old and injury prone, O'Dea is on loan and sometimes dodgy, Mills hasn't set the world alight so we should really get a decent pair of centrebacks. We need a right winger who can play more consistently than once in a blue moon, we have no midfield and need a decent midfield pair, and we have no decent strikers who can actually score goals. So I'd think about getting in players for all these positions.

But at least we have McAnuff.

And at least Madejski's bank balance is good.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 18 Oct 2009 19:51

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT No. Federici is alot better than Hamer.

Don't forget he also has TEN other players in front of him that can TRY to stop a team building up a chance.

This post was made by FRF who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

:wink:

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 18 Oct 2009 20:12

We have severe problems in scoring because we are so uncreative. Defensively were are OK.

If we were failing to win because we were letting so many goals in, strengthening at the back would make sense.

Our chronic lack of goals, just 5 in 15 games at home since January, hints that just maybe the priority should be elsewhere.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 18 Oct 2009 20:25

Federici just isnt quite up to it. He isnt as bad a keeper as cummings is a fullback or Kebe is a winger though

He looked ok at times during his short spell in the side but he lost us the Sheff Utd game with his blunder there, and he cost us yesterday with some shocking goalkeeping

People saying he's won us games with saves etc, the keepers job is to make saves, and most of the ones he makes are pretty regulation and shot stopping is the easiest bit of being a keeper

I doubt we can replace him though, that would probably cost too much money (which is fair enough) but we do need to try and limit his errors, and make them less costly by scoring the odd goal :roll:

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 19 Oct 2009 11:41

Feds is a good Championship goalkeeper who will be a very good one once he's sorted out some of his positional play and decision making. The amount of work he's having to do at the moment, it's no surprise that he's making the odd rick. I say keep him in the team, he will be one of the division's best by the end of the season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Oct 2009 12:09

CMRoyal I say keep him in the team, he will be one of the division's best by the end of the season.

:lol:

No chance.

midfield diamond

by midfield diamond » 19 Oct 2009 12:42

A Fed is to RFC what Ben Foster is to Man U - not consistent enough.
Major error by the Club to let USA go thinking A Fed was an adequate replacement. Presumably Hammond made that decision, or was told by SJM to simply get rid of everyone on over £x per week and don't argue.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 19 Oct 2009 16:23

A Fed is the new Simon Sheppard.

Letting USA go looks like one of Rogers biggest errors so far.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 19 Oct 2009 16:24

Big Ern Letting USA go looks like one of Rogers biggest errors so far.

Do you want to re-think that one?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 19 Oct 2009 16:28

Wycombe Royal

No.....I will stand my gound sir, even if I have realised my mistake. :oops:

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 19 Oct 2009 23:49

Big Ern
Wycombe Royal

No.....I will stand my gound sir, even if I have realised my mistake. :oops:

Yes, let's all stand our gound.
Perhaps AFED could learn to stand his gound too.
Let no gound go unstood.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Oct 2009 00:02

Funny thing is Federici was getting panned a few weeks ago for NOT coming off his line. Now he's getting panned for doing it.