40%
No
60%

Total votes: 158
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Post QPR: Should Rodgers remain?

by facaldaqui » 21 Oct 2009 11:32

Ferris, if Rodgers didn't have much say in buying Mills, things are worse than I thought. But I can't believe it. And you can forget getting a manager like Curbs if we now buy over a manager's head.

The whole Mills affair is one of the mysteries of the season. To spend 2 million on one player goes against all the theories here that Rodgers was starved of money or that Madejski doesn't want to go back to the premier. But it makes sod all sense in isolation. If Rodgers had, say, 4 million to spend, there's no rhyme or reason to lumping a whole 2 million pound of it on one player.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 21 Oct 2009 11:53

Ferris, if Rodgers didn't have much say in buying Mills, things are worse than I thought. But I can't believe it. And you can forget getting a manager like Curbs if we now buy over a manager's head.

The whole Mills affair is one of the mysteries of the season. To spend 2 million on one player goes against all the theories here that Rodgers was starved of money or that Madejski doesn't want to go back to the premier. But it makes sod all sense in isolation. If Rodgers had, say, 4 million to spend, there's no rhyme or reason to lumping a whole 2 million pound of it on one player.

Why would you be surprised - hapless hammond is always boasting about how influential he is at the club behind the scenes. Him and McDermott were responsible for recommending Fae, Mateovsky, Kebe, Cisse as alternatives to the real premier league players we couldn't afford at the time as SJM lined up to sell/wouldn't pay the wages. It certainly wouldn't suprise me if Mills was a target before Rodgers came and may explain Rodgers coolness towards him as a done deal that he would have to live with (similar to Cox at WBA and DiMatteo - is Cox really 3rd/4th choice striker because of this?). It was certainly mentioned at the first fans forum this season that Tommy Smith was on the radar from a way back, presumably before BR was confirmed, and any enquiries must have confirmed to BR that Smith and himself was already a deal in the making, so why not Mills as a player we are tracking from last season. It is even more of a mystery why we were so eager for a centre back as the money spent there could have been used to get Smith way before Pompey came in - and BR could still have signed O'Dea without any real impact on the squad.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 21 Oct 2009 11:55

we could have kept duberry on reduced terms, he would not be any worse than what we have!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2009 11:58

I've actually voted Yes, I think he should get Leicester to try 4-4-2 again and see if he can get it right this time.

He's going to be sacked, that's a given, but I don't want any doubt about why. There were too many shitty circumstances against QPR that gives an excuse for why it went so wrong to sack him now.

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 21 Oct 2009 11:58

Schards#2 Obviously, it's a misleading and selective statistic, however, it makes the pointy that Coppell has a track record that includes considerable success. Rodgers doesn't and, I would bet, never will after this episode.

Considerable success that was achieved over a long period of time....!!! BR has had 4 months in charge and you expect him to pick up where SC left - when virtually the whole of SC squad had been sold before he even arrived at the club!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2009 12:01

Royal_Belly
Schards#2 Obviously, it's a misleading and selective statistic, however, it makes the pointy that Coppell has a track record that includes considerable success. Rodgers doesn't and, I would bet, never will after this episode.

Considerable success that was achieved over a long period of time....!!! BR has had 4 months in charge and you expect him to pick up where SC left - when virtually the whole of SC squad had been sold before he even arrived at the club!!

NO NO NO. Idiot.

Rodgers is expected to consolidate in lower mid-table. THAT IS PERFECTLY ACHIEVEABLE!!!

He is completely failing in every possible way to manage the team.

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 21 Oct 2009 12:01

Ian Royal I've actually voted Yes, I think he should get Leicester to try 4-4-2 again and see if he can get it right this time.

He's going to be sacked, that's a given, but I don't want any doubt about why. There were too many shitty circumstances against QPR that gives an excuse for why it went so wrong to sack him now.

Yep, I pretty much agree with that.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 21 Oct 2009 12:06

As someone pointed out we were already looking pretty crap in the disappointing tail end of last season - so something had to change. A mix of investment and selective changes additions was one option. But Mr Mad and BR chose the high risk option in selling / letting go the quality and making wholesale changes without replacing the quality and experience.

But if the current manager can't get the current squad to play (or even work out what his current team is), the high risk option isn't working - we're not even treading water mid-table - which migt have been OK if we really were commited to a longer term re-build project. Even if Mr Mad's prudence won't stretch to big signings and wages, we need a better manager to attract and more effectively build with what we have / can afford now. It's surely a matter of pride now if Mr Mad remains committed to Reading. Balls or finances (clearly not both) ?

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 21 Oct 2009 12:17

Ian Royal
Royal_Belly

NO NO NO. Idiot.

Rodgers is expected to consolidate in lower mid-table. THAT IS PERFECTLY ACHIEVEABLE!!!

He is completely failing in every possible way to manage the team.

Watch who you call an idiot mate!!! No way to speak to a lady!

The chairman is failing BR and the fans!! £3m to spend on a building a new team...Ridiculous!!

I don't know what you are all crying about... last season you were all up for having a shake up in the club and we all knew SJM wasn't going to invest - so please don't tell me you were expecting mid table it was never going to happen!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 21 Oct 2009 12:19

Ian, reading between the lines of Rodgers's statements, I don't think he was given the brief to establish us in mid-table, I think he was told to get us into the premier. Even on Saturday, Rodgers was saying we were good enough to be at the top of the table. Why would he say such things except to keep Madejski happy? Only now is he starting to admit that the problem is that the best players were sold and replaced with ones who aren't able to follow his instructions.

My message to Brendan would be: forget the premier for the time being and just keep us up this season. Build on that next season. Honest, Brendan, no one is expecting you to get us to the prem, so let that weight fall from your shoulders.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 21 Oct 2009 12:21

facaldaqui Ian, reading between the lines of Rodgers's statements, I don't think he was given the brief to establish us in mid-table, I think he was told to get us into the premier. Even on Saturday, Rodgers was saying we were good enough to be at the top of the table. Why would he say such things except to keep Madejski happy? Only now is he starting to admit that the problem is that the best players were sold and replaced with ones who aren't able to follow his instructions.

My message to Brendan would be: forget the premier for the time being and just keep us up this season. Build on that next season. Honest, Brendan, no one is expecting you to get us to the prem, so let that weight fall from your shoulders.

Not this year anyhow. Give it 3 years and I expect a new squad capable of challenging to have been built.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Oct 2009 12:23

Is it time for a little perspective yet?

If not, just let us know when............

OK?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Oct 2009 12:29

glenroyal As someone pointed out we were already looking pretty crap in the disappointing tail end of last season - so something had to change. A mix of investment and selective changes additions was one option. But Mr Mad and BR chose the high risk option in selling / letting go the quality and making wholesale changes without replacing the quality and experience.

Depends how you look at it but theres a case to be made that the high risk option would actually have been to continue to pay wages we couldn't afford to players who you might describe as "quality" but were showing completely the opposite by the end of last season. Realistically there was no way we could keep Doyle,Hunt and Bikey whilst the Hahnemann's Murty's and Duberry's were past their sell by date.
Even having said that Mills,Rasiak,McAnuff and Howard are plenty experienced at this level but have yet to make the impact they have at their previous clubs. All four of them have more than decent pedigree at this level and probably come at a market value of around £4m combined.

glenroyal But if the current manager can't get the current squad to play (or even work out what his current team is), the high risk option isn't working - we're not even treading water mid-table - which migt have been OK if we really were commited to a longer term re-build project. Even if Mr Mad's prudence won't stretch to big signings and wages, we need a better manager to attract and more effectively build with what we have / can afford now. It's surely a matter of pride now if Mr Mad remains committed to Reading. Balls or finances (clearly not both) ?

Taking away the fact that I don't think we're currently using a "high risk option" as you put it but I still think that we're in the top half in this division when it comes to potential transfer dealings. There aren't many that could (not many that would mind :wink: ) spend £2m on a centre half in this league. Ultimately though I think there is enough in this squad to be lower midtable whilst rebuilding for the future and it's up to Rodgers to show he's the man for the job. I still think he can but he needs to show this very very quickly or despite what people may think JM will pull the trigger.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 21 Oct 2009 12:31

Ideal
Gordons Cumming Is it time for a little perspective yet?

I've got some perspective for you.
10pts / 13 games = 0.7629pts per game, multiply with 46... and the magic number is: 35.

Do you happen to believe that teams regularly avoid relegation by amassing 35 points over the course of a season?

It was enough for Hull last season by 1 point. Of course you have to factor in that they only played 38 gaames, not 46.....

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 21 Oct 2009 12:46

Ideal
Gordons Cumming Is it time for a little perspective yet?

I've got some perspective for you.
10pts / 13 games = 0.7629pts per game, multiply with 46... and the magic number is: 35.

Do you happen to believe that teams regularly avoid relegation by amassing 35 points over the course of a season?

Why do people do this? If the three clubs below us did the same thing then they'd still be below us. What we've got so far multiplyed by the remaining games isn't really the issue. The point is whether you (or more importantly JM) think its going to get better or not under the current manager. You clearly don't as you've mentioned once or twice.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 21 Oct 2009 12:56

I'm pretty much avoid HNA at the moment, but Mags and Vision seem to be saying everything I need to at the moment.

The only reason I would give Rodgers the boot at the moment is if he's lost the dressing room and can't get it back. I'd also be a bit concerned if he continues with his random team selection, although I'm guessing there is more to it than meets the eye.

He's got a poor squad and the club seem to be in a bit of a mess trying to rebuild in many ways, but I don't think it's time to be getting shot of him yet. I've said before he should get the rest of the season, but if he doesn't settle things down by Christmas then I'd think again.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Oct 2009 12:58

From my perspective, confidence seems to be a factor.

HTH

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 21 Oct 2009 13:04

The past three games have convinced me it's time to go now before it's too late. We're going backwards, not forwards or even sideways at the moment. I reckon he has three games to get a win to please the chairman, two of which are at home or Mr Mad will be forced to act. Yes he's had to let the best players go but he's got good enough players for this division and some of the signings he's made are indefensible!

I was beginning to feel sorry for those that only go to the home games and haven't seen us win for ages but the performances at Peterborough, West Brom and last night mean i don't anymore.

Chatting to someone on the way back last night who was sat next to Long's current squeeze it sounds like he's beginning to lose the dressing room. Time to write a new chapter in your book about leaving the club Brendon!!!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 21 Oct 2009 13:06

Rodgers has lost the support of the fans and it looks to me like he has lost the support of the dressing room as well.

Those two things are extremely difficult to fix and not many managers have done so. I really can't see any way back for Rodgers now and we need a manage who can put some belief back into the players and make a team out of this squad.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 21 Oct 2009 14:16

I think he should stay, give him another month. Whats the point in changing management now? wouldnt make a difference anyway, the players are underpeforming, and most of them are shit anyway