Wally & Dill

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Wally & Dill

by Millsy » 22 Oct 2009 18:30

brendywendy
2 world wars, 1 world cup I totally disagree.

I don't know what Wally is talking about.

He and Dills were SH*TE in the last half of last season and were totally unable to turn around the biggest direction-change in our history. Under them we went from promotion certainties to relegation form. THEY presided over the change.

So the change Wally is talking about is the change that he was part-responsible for. All we're seeing now is an extension of the already abysmal form.

Wally is talking as though everything was rosy and then he was released and the form dropped. That's rubbish. The form drop started with him.

The current team are merely unable to change the pre-existing downturn. Sure they've made it worse but it has to be remembered that the current management team are working with a poorer squad.

If you're going to change things, do it properly.

Wally and Dill had no idea what to do to turn things around in the last half of last season. That's why the rightly went.

Bye bye Wally - you certainly ain't the answer to our problems!!!!

LOL
4th place, play offs, 2nd at xmas

You're missing the point totally.

I fought for the old regime even more fiercely than you did BW so I knw what you're saying, but the fact is they couldn't stop the rot. Wally and DIlls were the coaches when it started. So for Wally to suggest we've achieved something different now is plain wrong. Something (probably wantaway Coppell announcing he would leave regardless) changed our fortunes overnight, whilst Wally was still here and he did sweet FA about it.

So what makes us think he can do anything about it now!!!???

Cookie

by Cookie » 22 Oct 2009 19:01

We need patience already.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 22 Oct 2009 19:09

I hope no one asks me to pay back my loans all of a sudden. I thought loans were loans and that you had an agreement when and how they should be paid back. How can you run your finances otherwise?

Stevie G

by Stevie G » 22 Oct 2009 19:11

I had it from a very good source many months ago that SSC gave his intent at Christmas to move on at the end of the season regardless of whether we made promotion or not and within days the managemnt had made the decision for a clean slate in the coaching staff, long before Rogers even considered that there might be a job for him at Reading. SSC was clearly miffed that his staff would not land up with the same deal that he'd thought he'd discussed and this whole episode unbalanced the team, changing our form and changing the desire. Yeah SSC kept it going, but he wasn't fully committed. I remember commenting a couple of times at matches that the warm up just seemed to be going through the motions and then all of a sudden picked up about 4 matches from the end, no doubt SSC's input and trying to remain true to the fans.

So the rot did start then, but not through poor coaching. I wonder if some of that discontent still exists?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Oct 2009 20:10

2 world wars, 1 world cup I totally disagree.

I don't know what Wally is talking about.

He and Dills were SH*TE in the last half of last season and were totally unable to turn around the biggest direction-change in our history. Under them we went from promotion certainties to relegation form. THEY presided over the change.

So the change Wally is talking about is the change that he was part-responsible for. All we're seeing now is an extension of the already abysmal form.

Wally is talking as though everything was rosy and then he was released and the form dropped. That's rubbish. The form drop started with him.

The current team are merely unable to change the pre-existing downturn. Sure they've made it worse but it has to be remembered that the current management team are working with a poorer squad.

If you're going to change things, do it properly.

Wally and Dill had no idea what to do to turn things around in the last half of last season. That's why the rightly went.

Bye bye Wally - you certainly ain't the answer to our problems!!!!

Remind me - when were we promotion certainties ?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Oct 2009 20:12

facaldaqui I hope no one asks me to pay back my loans all of a sudden. I thought loans were loans and that you had an agreement when and how they should be paid back. How can you run your finances otherwise?

Loans can be written in loads of ways - one of which is payable on demand.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 22 Oct 2009 20:13

Stevie G I had it from a very good source many months ago that SSC gave his intent at Christmas to move on at the end of the season regardless of whether we made promotion or not and within days the managemnt had made the decision for a clean slate in the coaching staff, long before Rogers even considered that there might be a job for him at Reading. SSC was clearly miffed that his staff would not land up with the same deal that he'd thought he'd discussed and this whole episode unbalanced the team, changing our form and changing the desire. Yeah SSC kept it going, but he wasn't fully committed. I remember commenting a couple of times at matches that the warm up just seemed to be going through the motions and then all of a sudden picked up about 4 matches from the end, no doubt SSC's input and trying to remain true to the fans.

So the rot did start then, but not through poor coaching. I wonder if some of that discontent still exists?

Interesting, but do you mean Downes and Dillon still discontent or people that stayed still discontent ?
If the former, so what as they're not here anymore (though sad of course).
If the latter, I don't see the logic as the people that are still here are still here.

glenroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by glenroyal » 23 Oct 2009 08:48

Ha, just commented on the Tommy Smith thread - that what we are missing is leadership characters (preferably on the pitch) - but in the Wally style is what I had in mind.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Oct 2009 09:42

facaldaqui I hope no one asks me to pay back my loans all of a sudden. I thought loans were loans and that you had an agreement when and how they should be paid back. How can you run your finances otherwise?

actually if its an overdraught the bank can, will and have asked me to "pay back" large bits of it, by suddenly and without warning cutting it in half.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 23 Oct 2009 09:58

Royal sodding Blue What it doesn't actually state is who asked them to repay that overdraft. Of course, the strong implication is that it was the bank, but you can't be absolutely certain from the words used!

Brendywendy Oh FFS!

Indeed. Take note of the words in bold:

Thaumagurist* Well, on that statement on the website, the club did say:

Historically, the club has been able to manage any ongoing deficit thanks to a bank overdraft facility. However, as a result of the economic climate, this summer the club was asked to repay the total £7,500,000 overdraft, and we also needed to cover the £6,265,000 loss from last season.

You don't really need the club to repeat the bank word when talking about the overdraft, do you? :roll:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 23 Oct 2009 10:10

So the bank cut or withdrew the overdraft, rather than called in loans? I can grasp that better.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Oct 2009 11:51

same thing

its just symantics :lol:

there were debts that wer called back, of one form or another

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 23 Oct 2009 12:34

It's not the same thing. Loans have to be paid back in a certain way and by a certain time. You can normally reliably use them to build your business. An overdraft is a facility, and you cannot rely on it to stay the same. I think that's why this happened so suddenly, leading to such drastic measures.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 23 Oct 2009 12:39

Thaumagurist*
Royal sodding Blue What it doesn't actually state is who asked them to repay that overdraft. Of course, the strong implication is that it was the bank, but you can't be absolutely certain from the words used!

Brendywendy Oh FFS!

Indeed. Take note of the words in bold:

Thaumagurist* Well, on that statement on the website, the club did say:

Historically, the club has been able to manage any ongoing deficit thanks to a bank overdraft facility. However, as a result of the economic climate, this summer the club was asked to repay the total £7,500,000 overdraft, and we also needed to cover the £6,265,000 loss from last season.

You don't really need the club to repeat the bank word when talking about the overdraft, do you? :roll:

Huh? Of course it was the bank. The financial profile of football clubs a year after relegation from the PL isn't exactly a healthy one - look at all the precedents! Even more so in a credit crunch when the banks are starting to realise just how risky football finance is ...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Oct 2009 12:58

facaldaqui It's not the same thing. Loans have to be paid back in a certain way and by a certain time. You can normally reliably use them to build your business. An overdraft is a facility, and you cannot rely on it to stay the same. I think that's why this happened so suddenly, leading to such drastic measures.

and overdraft is still a loan of money

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 23 Oct 2009 13:15

Barry the bird boggler why would it need to be icelandic

Just a little joke - we all know why Icelandic banks got into trouble and RFC is certainly not a sub-prime borrower I would have thought.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2009 13:47

Eastkentroyal

Just a little joke - we all know why Icelandic banks got into trouble and RFC is certainly not a sub-prime borrower I would have thought.

As a non-Premier League football team incapable of making a profit last season or this, it would seem pretty much the definition of a sub-prime borrower to me.

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 23 Oct 2009 14:05

Ian Royal
Eastkentroyal

As a non-Premier League football team incapable of making a profit last season or this, it would seem pretty much the definition of a sub-prime borrower to me.

Good point and maybe you might have hit the nail on the head. Maybe the football club o/d was unsecured and seing the latest trading figures bank says pay up or give a cross guarantee from the holding company ie secured on the Madjeski complex. SJM opted for paying it back.