When was your turning point?

When did you lose faith in Brendan Rodgers and his bumper book of football tactics?

Poll ended at 16 Nov 2009 20:06
Never had the faith to start with
23%
Losing at home to Sheffield Utd
4%
Losing at Peterborough
27%
Drawing at home to Watford
1%
Losing To Middlesbrough
12%
Losing to WBA
14%
WTF??? He is the best man for the job. Give him time!
19%

Total votes: 141
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: When was your turning point?

by Maguire » 19 Oct 2009 09:31

Uke
Maguire
handbags_harris I do believe that he should be given until at least the middle of December to try to turn things around. I'm not happy with the club and haven't been for a number of months, but to a certain degree Rodgers is on a hiding to nothing following on from Steve Coppell. That doesn't excuse the ineptitude he has shown on the touchline though.

That probably sums up my feelings rather nicely HH.

The trouble is that when people turn against somebody (as most of you lot seem to have done with Rodgers), is that you'll use anything and everything to beat him down with no matter what.

The whole "why did he ditch Rosenior and sign Cummings" thing is one example, as if you think he wouldn't rather have Rosenior as an option now. The fact that our entire squad (which, if you remember, couldn't notch a home win from Jan to the end of the season, even with international players) was ripped to shreds seems to be forgotten. "Oh but he's had 3 million to improve the squad". Well no, he's had more like -10million to spend on his squad.

I don't think defeat away to WBA really changes anything as we all kind of expected it anyway, but he really, really needs to win a home game sooner rather than later.

Turning point doesn't mean out the door though

It means the point where he starts his final set of SMART objectives with a view to keeping his job. He's probably had the warnings already associated with contract performance. So the 'process' may well be underway to minimise the costs of early contract termination.

Shit or bust for Brenda

TBF I only read the last page of the thread so wasn't responding to the specific title.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 Oct 2009 11:13

FWIW, have written to my Watford STH for his views and, as ever, they make interesting reading I think (I specifically used posts from Alan Partridge and Terminal Boardom whose posts seemed pretty close to the mark with how a lot of people feel):

My mate Watford Tom Interesting email mate, thanks for sending it through.

You’re quite right, quite a few Watford fans do keep an active interest in Rodgers and that things are not going well for him or Reading is received with a lot of grins our way. My view on that is that it is pointless. If Rodgers were to be dismissed from Reading, then it doesn’t change what he did to us, he won’t come back to us. It’s pointless.

I’m still stunned how someone who I rated as being a very shrewd manager while with us, has been such a disaster with you. Yes, there were moments with us when it became clear things needed to be changed. His opening 3 or so matches with us were awful, sideways passing affairs. But then he turned things around. He masterminded our defeat of Swansea, when the media were gushing over them following their performance against Fulham in the FA Cup. It was the most tactically perfect performance I’ve seen from a Watford team and the way the crowd bonded with the team, you couldn’t help but think this guys understands. We were headed in a positive way with Rodgers, and I genuinely believe the reason most Watford fans do take such schadenfreud over Reading’s results is because we’re still upset because we lost a good manager.

So I’m clueless to guess what’s gone wrong for him with you. Maybe he underestimated the squad, maybe he didn’t know the full state of the finances. But at the very least you’d expect him to loan in players, like he did with us. He bought in the likes of Jack Cork, Sacha Cauna, Danny Rose – all exciting if raw talents. The only thing that I keep coming back to is that with us, he had a ‘mentor’ in Graham Taylor. Apparently Taylor had a word in his ear about pointless sideways passing and 4-5-1 formations at home. After then we took off as a team. That’s the only thing I can pinpoint that he’s maybe not got at Reading.

Otherwise I’m clueless. I take it there has been absolutely no sign of improvement?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 19 Oct 2009 11:21

I said he needed a mentor - and who better than SC. :cry: Someone text in to BBCRB and said Coppell was linked with Notts County. :cry:

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 19 Oct 2009 11:33

Royal Lady I said he needed a mentor

Some of us thought that role might be filled by The Real Frank Lampard. Where is he in all this? He has assistant-managerial experience - can't he get involved more on match-days, just till the ship is steadied?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Oct 2009 12:27

CMRoyal
Royal Lady I said he needed a mentor

Some of us thought that role might be filled by The Real Frank Lampard. Where is he in all this? He has assistant-managerial experience - can't he get involved more on match-days, just till the ship is steadied?

He wouldn't be able to watch Chelsea then.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 19 Oct 2009 12:41

I suspect what he's commanding in wages per year, could have bought us a proper striker. :roll:

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 19 Oct 2009 12:45

Royal Lady I said he needed a mentor - and who better than SC. :cry: Someone text in to BBCRB and said Coppell was linked with Notts County. :cry:

Also Southampton as DoF but then again where isn't he linked to.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Oct 2009 22:05

Just to give some a chance to place their votes

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Oct 2009 22:07

Today I'm afraid.

Now I think Rodgers has to go as well as Ducksarse Ego.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 20 Oct 2009 22:09

RoyalBlue Today I'm afraid.

Now I think Rodgers has to go as well as Ducksarse Ego.

I'm another one who's been turned. I really want to like Rodgers but it's become too hard. I would still give him one more game though because you have to win your home games and I'd give him one last chance.

Fezza

by Fezza » 20 Oct 2009 22:13

Was the first mention of "world class model".

All pray to the Mechano king!

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 20 Oct 2009 22:22

Could you not add to the vote

When the Chairman appointed him and said "no money, no good players I've flogged them, so use the kids Howe and Hammond and I reckon, are more than good enough to get us promtion"

That's when I wrote off this season......... and next.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Oct 2009 22:23

Tamworth_Royal Could you not add to the vote

When the Chairman appointed him and said "no money, no good players I've flogged them, so use the kids Howe and Hammond and I reckon, are more than good enough to get us promtion"

That's when I wrote off this season......... and next.

If you do, can I have my vote back!

Y25

by Y25 » 20 Oct 2009 22:35

No game in particular

Tommy Smith oxf*rd up
Shaun Cummings
Not playing Mateovsky
Playing Kebe
Not playing the same side twice
Talking utter bullshit constantly

statto

by statto » 20 Oct 2009 22:58

I lost a bit of faith when Bikey left, I felt if we'd kept him we'd be showing ambition to do well, we didn't even try.
I lost a bit more faith when we got rid of our fairly shit right back and brought in someone, much, much worse
I lost a bit more faith when our manager refuses to play our most creative player.
I lost a bit more faith when it was clear to me that we don't create any chances.
I lost a bit more faith when I saw us not having any idea how to to win a game or even hold out for a draw
I lost a bit more faith when all I wanted was the game to end because it was so boring.

I have no faith now, the guy is just clueless, but to me what is most worrying is the lack of leadership and the lack of fight, which is disastarous is a relegation battle, as we have seen previously.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 20 Oct 2009 23:01

He was just wrong, wrong, fcuking wrong from the beginning. Gut instinct told me that he was completely the wrong man and to me it is obvious he was told to cut the wage bill and replace those players with infinitely inferior models. We are so fcuked and a trip to FC Franchise is definitely on for next season.

It was Curbs for me, but that would not have happened in a month of Sundays with The Ego in charge.

Cookie

by Cookie » 22 Oct 2009 19:18

cmonurz
Christ, Murty and Forster look a whole world away from this.

All three could do a job for us. :lol:

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Oct 2009 19:30

Haven't turned yet, but we need to start showing some progress on the pitch in the next 5 games.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 22 Oct 2009 20:07

Ark Royal He was just wrong, wrong, fcuking wrong from the beginning. Gut instinct told me that he was completely the wrong man and to me it is obvious he was told to cut the wage bill and replace those players with infinitely inferior models. We are so fcuked and a trip to FC Franchise is definitely on for next season.

It was Curbs for me, but that would not have happened in a month of Sundays with The Ego in charge.

Sadly, my locals are still going reasonably well - we may swap places.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 22 Oct 2009 21:21

Franchise FC
Ark Royal He was just wrong, wrong, fcuking wrong from the beginning. Gut instinct told me that he was completely the wrong man and to me it is obvious he was told to cut the wage bill and replace those players with infinitely inferior models. We are so fcuked and a trip to FC Franchise is definitely on for next season.

Sadly, my locals are still going reasonably well - we may swap places.