10 years ago

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

10 years ago

by Royal Lady » 17 Nov 2009 20:53

From today's midweek chronicle

Nov 19 1999

Reading chariman JM described his side's display in their 5-0 midweek defeat at Millwall as an "outrage" as the Royals miserable start to their Division Two campaign continued. Having sacked Tomm Burns after a poor start to the season, Madejski had been hoping new boss Alan Pardew would kick start a revival but the humiliating defeat at the New Den left the chairman in angry mood.

"What happened at Millwall is totally and utterly uncacceptable" Madejski fumed. "It's vital the players recognise who they are playing for - Reading FC. They must recognise the privileged positions they are in and that they are paid good money to do their jobs. Everyone, and especially me, expects better. Our fans work hard for their money and it's not fair to take it from them at matches under false pretences. I've gone blue in the face bringing in new players and we now know that doesn't always work. They need to be managed properly".

Pardew, who had dropped Caskey to the bench after some indifferent displays, admitted his injury-hit side were well-beaten and now faced a season long scrap to beat the drop. He said "I look at the squad and where we are in the division and I have to say that is a fair reflection of what we've got. The back four were all over the place, we had no protection from our full backs and we lost out on every tackle. I thought we'd turned the corner following three wins and a draw on the trot, but that was unacceptable. The players need to look at themselves because we're in deep trouble. We're down at the bttom and we don't look like getting out of it."

:shock: A few honest words spoken there and no mistake! Where did we finish that season? About 8th wasn't it??

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: 10 years ago

by floyd__streete » 17 Nov 2009 21:00

We finished 10th. The second half of that season - a resurgence that came about thanks in part to Martin Allen's motivational skills and the chairman's wallet - was one of my more enjoyable periods of following RFC. There was a semblance of pride in following the club again at long last, and a bit of fun too - kick-started by a few dozen loonies wearing beards. The promotion form we showed in the second half of that season set us up for the best decade in the long history of the club.

It would be nice to think that this season could follow very much along the lines of that one.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 17 Nov 2009 21:01

This isn't a great time of year for our old mate Alan.
He was sacked by Charlton in November
He was sacked by West Ham in December
He lost badly at home to Brighton last Sunday with Southampton.
Maybe he is just a fairweather manager.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 17 Nov 2009 21:04

I remember that Millwall game all too well. Gilkesy had a blinder for them and we were 5 down with more than twenty minutes to play. My gruntle was well and truly dissed that evening and I left long before the end.....having had to find a Millwall steward to let me out :| .

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 17 Nov 2009 21:39

I remember that awful game only too well. The following day, my parents' house was burgled.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Nov 2009 21:55

I think the 2-2 draw at top of table Preston in Feb(?) was what turned the corner that season.

Fozzy scored a screamer in the first half and Martin Butler scored an equalizing header up our end in second half - think it was his debut??

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Nov 2009 21:58

Don't forget that Pants Day and Matt Robinson had an effect, too.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Nov 2009 22:20

Wasn't the Preston game the one where Mad Dog got our players to warm up in the wrong half?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 17 Nov 2009 22:21

Christ, was it that long ago? Anyone else remember Wigan away on the concourse after Mad Dog had broken his leg, waving his crutches geeing us up before the game?

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 17 Nov 2009 23:12

I like this bit:
Madejski
Our fans work hard for their money and it's not fair to take it from them at matches under false pretences."

What, like similar to the early ST renewal John?

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 18 Nov 2009 08:16

The worst, most gutless Reading performace I have ever witnessed... only Skittles put any effort in.
Made all the worse by 'we're all going down to the Den' blaring out after every goal.

Ryn

by Ryn » 18 Nov 2009 09:44

Be nice to get a bit of honesty out of Madejski about the current situation to be honest, not just more spin.

Honesty that year forced to club to wake up to the fact that we were staring relegation in the face. Honesty told us that we had a piss poor squad and needed to spend some money.

No talk about cutting the cloth that year :(

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 18 Nov 2009 09:48

Matt de K I like this bit:
Madejski
Our fans work hard for their money and it's not fair to take it from them at matches under false pretences."

Pray tell what false pretences were they sold under?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 18 Nov 2009 09:52

SJM should have told us in advance Bikey would throw a massive strop and blow our playoff chances away in one 30 second spell.

I'd not have renewed if he'd told me that in April.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 18 Nov 2009 10:10

Terminal Boardom Wasn't the Preston game the one where Mad Dog got our players to warm up in the wrong half?

Correct.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 18 Nov 2009 10:39

Stranded
Madejski

Pray tell what false pretences were they sold under?

Did you miss the summer fire sale?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 18 Nov 2009 10:43

Matt de K
Stranded Pray tell what false pretences were they sold under?

Did you miss the summer fire sale?

Who did we sell cheaply?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2009 10:46

Royal Lady From today's midweek chronicle

Nov 19 1999

Reading chariman JM described his side's display in their 5-0 midweek defeat at Millwall as an "outrage" as the Royals miserable start to their Division Two campaign continued. Having sacked Tomm Burns after a poor start to the season, Madejski had been hoping new boss Alan Pardew would kick start a revival but the humiliating defeat at the New Den left the chairman in angry mood.

"What happened at Millwall is totally and utterly uncacceptable" Madejski fumed. "It's vital the players recognise who they are playing for - Reading FC. They must recognise the privileged positions they are in and that they are paid good money to do their jobs. Everyone, and especially me, expects better. Our fans work hard for their money and it's not fair to take it from them at matches under false pretences. I've gone blue in the face bringing in new players and we now know that doesn't always work. They need to be managed properly".

Pardew, who had dropped Caskey to the bench after some indifferent displays, admitted his injury-hit side were well-beaten and now faced a season long scrap to beat the drop. He said "I look at the squad and where we are in the division and I have to say that is a fair reflection of what we've got. The back four were all over the place, we had no protection from our full backs and we lost out on every tackle. I thought we'd turned the corner following three wins and a draw on the trot, but that was unacceptable. The players need to look at themselves because we're in deep trouble. We're down at the bttom and we don't look like getting out of it."

:shock: A few honest words spoken there and no mistake! Where did we finish that season? About 8th wasn't it??

actually sounds ve4ry similar to this season!
apart from the buying loads of players bit!

if rodgers xcan be half as successful in bringing on the side this eyar ill be relatively happy

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 18 Nov 2009 10:48

Madejski

:roll:

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 18 Nov 2009 12:32

Sorry, but from readingfc.co.uk, at the beginning of April 09:

"2009/10 season tickets are on sale now at this season's prices - regardless of which division we're in next season"

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 83,00.html

From Johns mouth on the 9th April 09:

"As I have said before, we are acutely aware of the difficult economic climate and we are very pleased that so many supporters decided to take advantage of this offer."

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 52,00.html

readingfc.co.uk 17th June 09:

"2008/9 season ticket holders can now book at the same price as last season, ensuring a seat at every home game for an exciting year under our new manager."

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 08,00.html

Madejski

This is what I'm referring to. JM thanking fans for taking up the OFFER of same priced season tickets. Then a few months later giving the same OFFER to everyone else. That's not an "offer" is it?

So I thought that when I renewed early (in April), I would benefit from it. I haven't. I thought that paying the same £££'s as I did the season before we would still have roughly the same squad as we did before. We haven't. Therefore I feel (and please note the "I") like I have been somewhat played by RFC.