680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
Focher
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 20:24

Berry WTF has Ferguson really done

taken a nothing team to back to back promotions, and has a father who is the best manager the world has seen.

What a stupid comment, and fwiw, your post was possibly the biggest load of bullshit on this thread.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 21:26

West Stand Flash Praying for a City win Saturday. Bad bad bad move giving it to BM.
Cheap option again.

How d'you reach that conclusion??

Yes, I know, no managerial experience, but that does not mean he's a nailed on failure.

Personally I find a McDermott/Gibbs combo quite exciting. They're both renowned as excellent young coaches and could be succesful here.

Bring on Saturday.

royal_ali

by royal_ali » 17 Dec 2009 21:32

Mr Mad interview is a crock of shit hes selling us down the river.

I can see him employing mcdermott on a full time bases just to save more money in his back pocket.

The interview was everything I expected it to be a load of bull and no real answers as per normal

wilksy

Re: The Fans decide: poll for next manager

by wilksy » 17 Dec 2009 21:33

John Hughes? Seems to be doing pretty well with Hibs.

Plenty of Scottish managers have done well south of the border.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 17 Dec 2009 21:53

Give Brian McDermott a month max and if he does Ok extend until the end of the season.

Not sure about either of the two front runners on this poll:

Ferguson - unproven at this level and had some money at Peteborough

Curbishly - overrated and has lived off 4 or 5 good seasons at Charlton years ago - they went sh1t with his squad. Why has no-one else gone for him? Plenty of jobs have been going.
Last edited by Mid Sussex Royal on 17 Dec 2009 21:53, edited 1 time in total.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Dec 2009 21:53

wilksy John Hughes? Seems to be doing pretty well with Hibs.

Plenty of Scottish managers have done well south of the border.

Tommy Burns? Craig Levein?

My money is Brian McDermott. Easy option for the egomonster.

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 17 Dec 2009 21:54

I'd find the prospect of Mcdermott and Gibbs quite an interesting proposition. On paper we have a squad that should be doing better than it has been doing and its clear that with Thorvaldsson coming in there isn't going to be a whole lot more transfer money being spent on what is still a large first team squad. It may be worth giving a couple of experienced football coaches a go at realising its potential before rushing headlong into another appointment that demands transfer funds, compensation etc etc. There is no reserve football for a couple of months we have an enormous number of coaches and associated trainers on the wage bill - as SJM says a period of reflection may be appropriate before any other changes would be required. If results stay sh*te then more drastic action may be required.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 17 Dec 2009 21:55

Mid Sussex Royal Curbishly - overrated and has lived off 4 or 5 good seasons at Charlton years ago - they went sh1t with his squad. Why has no-one else gone for him? Plenty of jobs have been going.

Legal wrangling with West Ham. Can't you read??? Also, I would take 4 or 5 good seasons right now thanks you very much!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Dec 2009 22:02

The Quiet Man I'd find the prospect of Mcdermott and Gibbs quite an interesting proposition. On paper we have a squad that should be doing better than it has been doing and its clear that with Thorvaldsson coming in there isn't going to be a whole lot more transfer money being spent on what is still a large first team squad. It may be worth giving a couple of experienced football coaches a go at realising its potential before rushing headlong into another appointment that demands transfer funds, compensation etc etc. There is no reserve football for a couple of months we have an enormous number of coaches and associated trainers on the wage bill - as SJM says a period of reflection may be appropriate before any other changes would be required. If results stay sh*te then more drastic action may be required.

Believe me they will stay sh*te.

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 17 Dec 2009 22:04

The Quiet Man I'd find the prospect of Mcdermott and Gibbs quite an interesting proposition. On paper we have a squad that should be doing better than it has been doing and its clear that with Thorvaldsson coming in there isn't going to be a whole lot more transfer money being spent on what is still a large first team squad. It may be worth giving a couple of experienced football coaches a go at realising its potential before rushing headlong into another appointment that demands transfer funds, compensation etc etc. There is no reserve football for a couple of months we have an enormous number of coaches and associated trainers on the wage bill - as SJM says a period of reflection may be appropriate before any other changes would be required. If results stay sh*te then more drastic action may be required.

+1, good post!
Sir Mad/JH hate getting bumped into any decision and frankly I'm amazed we didn't have Rogers until the end of this season. However, after making one quick decision they're definitely going to sit on their hands for as long as they can. If BM works out then he'll keep the job, if he doesn't then we'll get a new one next summer. we'll have to just pray we don't slip any further while they find out...

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 22:05

Royalwaster

Believe me they will stay sh*te.

No, I think I'll chose to believe that 2 experienced coaches who know the players will improve our results thank you very much.

Unless you have new evidence that McDermott is a shite coach/manager I remain optimistic that we'll turn this round, and so will many others.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 22:06

i personally find the prospect of 2 men being in charge who have no experience whatsoever of 1st team management a total turn off. We need someone with some kind of pedigree. Do you remember Les Reed at Charlton?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Dec 2009 22:08

lol Winchester, you'd be optimistic if the kit man was put in charge. He also knows the players.

An appointment with absolutely no experience of championship football. He won't be long term. DF or GS in within a week.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 22:10

FiNeRaIn lol Winchester, you'd be optimistic if the kit man was put in charge. He also knows the players.

An appointment with absolutely no experience of championship football. He won't be long term. DF or GS in within a week.

DF - Failed in Championship football.
GS - Failed in Championship football.

Meh. I don't really mind who our next manager is, all I really want is that we all get 100% behind him, whoever it turns out to be.

Plus McDermott and Gibbs are both top lads who've been with us for a long time. They deserve a shot for a couple of weeks.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Dec 2009 22:16

winchester_royal

Incorrect. Both had less time than brendan rodgers had and you were arguing his case, make your mind up.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 17 Dec 2009 22:17

winchester_royal
FiNeRaIn lol Winchester, you'd be optimistic if the kit man was put in charge. He also knows the players.

Meh. I don't really mind who our next manager is, all I really want is that we all get 100% behind him, whoever it turns out to be.

Plus McDermott and Gibbs are both top lads who've been with us for a long time. They deserve a shot for a couple of weeks.

Top lads? Shut the fck up, do you know them personally to know they are 'top lads'??????
We need someone who has no contact or relation to Reading, we need someone who won't hang out the back of that tw@t of a Chairman we have.
These two plums will be yes men like BR.

Berry

by Berry » 17 Dec 2009 22:27

Ideal
Berry I work for the Club...high enough to know whats going on..If you want to put a pound on who will be the next manager then..I would also put a pound on..Paul Sturrock.

Right. Any credibility you had just went out the window. There is ZERO chance of Paul Sturrock becoming our next manager.
I would rate the possibility of Elvis Presley proving to have lived on planet Pluto the last 30 odd years and returning to be our next manager as vastly higher than the chance of Paul Sturrock being our next manager.
Reasons? First of all he has Parkinson's, second of all he is still employed by Plymouth.

Ideal if you do your homework you will find that A) Sturrock has a mild form of Parkinsons which he feels isnt hindering his work in football and B) He is employed at Plymouth, but not as a coach and im sure that if he was offered a coaching job he would probably jump at it.
Sturrock isnt a great manager, but realistically we are going to have to expect a manager of this ilk, We are not a big club, we do not pay big wages, we do not have a large war chest of money for transfers and our Chairman has no ambition. Add to that, we have just released a young manager who had some great ideas but most of us fans just could not wait, as most still believe we are a lower tier Prem club, A great advert to bring in the likes of Ferguson Jnr or Tisdale, in realism we dont have a lot to offer. For people to say Parkys the man is laughable, put his head on the block for what? and why in hells name would Coppell or Pardew want to come back? they arent mad.

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

by Sir Dodger Royal » 17 Dec 2009 22:34

They may not be mad but the fu**ing Chairman is bloody bonkers.

This Club with him in charge will be in oblivion within six months.

We will go nowhere with a bunch of Yes men. Time for action.

Demonstrate against the Chairman.

DO NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH OLD coaches like BM & NG. Even Watford didn't bloody want himmmmmmmm

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 23:08

FiNeRaIn
winchester_royal

Incorrect. Both had less time than brendan rodgers had and you were arguing his case, make your mind up.

Rodgers failed in his time here. I think I've already admitted that. I thought Brendan would come good eventually, but there can be no denying his time here was a failure.

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 17 Dec 2009 23:49

There will be no new manager and our squad is too large. That is what I inferred from SJMs interview tonight. It is time for a period of reflection, he said.

680 posts