Brendan's moaning again!

169 posts
JR

Re: Brendan's moaning again!

by JR » 09 Jan 2010 15:07

zummerset
JR The sacking of Brendan Rodgers is the first time I have been ashamed to be a Reading fan.

You should get to more games JR

I think that all home games and 75% of away games is a pretty good sample in the last 8 years (for this millenium anyway!).

I know it's about results, but so many successful managers had poor results in the first 6 months in charge. A successful club has to look past the initial slump and focus on the medium term - The board have not yet explained why they no longer saw Rodgers as the outstanding candidate they gave the job to originally. They have just hit the panic button.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt initially as they must have had an excellent manager lined up to replace BR. Sadly they had no-one whatsoever lined up. Benefit of doubt gone.

zummerset

by zummerset » 09 Jan 2010 15:13

Nearly everyone on here (if that is a sample of RFC fans) thought he was a pompous windbag that was on a fast track for managing us into League 1 until he was sacked. I'm afraid that some humility would have gone a long way towards him keeping his job.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2010 15:54

JR
zummerset
JR The sacking of Brendan Rodgers is the first time I have been ashamed to be a Reading fan.

You should get to more games JR

I think that all home games and 75% of away games is a pretty good sample in the last 8 years (for this millenium anyway!).

I know it's about results, but so many successful managers had poor results in the first 6 months in charge. A successful club has to look past the initial slump and focus on the medium term - The board have not yet explained why they no longer saw Rodgers as the outstanding candidate they gave the job to originally. They have just hit the panic button.

I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt initially as they must have had an excellent manager lined up to replace BR. Sadly they had no-one whatsoever lined up. Benefit of doubt gone.

You can't sacrifice the short-term for the medium to long term, we were and are in real danger of going down and that would be a disaster for us. The board didn't have confidence Rodgers would keep us up. Understandably so.

At least McD has acknowledged we're in a relegation fight, somethig i don't recall Rodgers ever doing. It's hard to get out of trouble without recognising you are in it/

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 09 Jan 2010 17:09

But it wasn't just BR who sacrificed the short term was it. How many players were released or sold between June and August, which was nothing (or virtually nothing) to do with BR! Sure BR brought some in, but the difference between what he spent and what was received/saved is significant to say the least!

Sure he made mistakes, but you have to realise he is/was a rookie manager and was still learning. Less than 1 season of Championship footie FGS! What did people expect, the next messiah!?

I have sympathy for BR, I understand why he was sacked (Ipswich haven't sacked Keane though have they!), but I don't understand why the board didn't have or have implemented yet, a plan B! Why replace an inexperienced manager with an even more inexperienced one, plus have no further funds for players. :roll:

zummerset

by zummerset » 09 Jan 2010 17:20

Duke the Dog
Sure he made mistakes, but you have to realise he is/was a rookie manager and was still learning. Less than 1 season of Championship footie FGS! What did people expect, the next messiah!?

Barely seems worth making the point but the above is exactly why he got sacked - a rookie, still learning and a team at the bottom of the division. Your sympathy is misplaced Duke.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2010 17:29

Duke the Dog But it wasn't just BR who sacrificed the short term was it. How many players were released or sold between June and August, which was nothing (or virtually nothing) to do with BR! Sure BR brought some in, but the difference between what he spent and what was received/saved is significant to say the least!

I have sympathy for BR, I understand why he was sacked (Ipswich haven't sacked Keane though have they!), but I don't understand why the board didn't have or have implemented yet, a plan B! Why replace an inexperienced manager with an even more inexperienced one, plus have no further funds for players. :roll:

The difference between our squad and most other teams was very big prior to the sales, so the net player outgoings don't wash with me I'm afraid.

He spent to long focusing on the long term. As shown by his inability to recognise a relegation fight. He constantly talked of world class models, runs that could get us into the play offs, bringing European and stable Premier League football to Reading. When in actual fact he was much closer to bringing us League One football.

Ipswich, despite an atrocious start have shown a very clear progression of improvement and have only been moving up. We've been sloshing around the same 5 odd positions all season.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 09 Jan 2010 17:56

zummerset Nearly everyone on here (if that is a sample of RFC fans) thought he was a pompous windbag that was on a fast track for managing us into League 1 until he was sacked. I'm afraid that some humility would have gone a long way towards him keeping his job.

^^^^This totally. It was difficult to breathe what with all the bullsh*t he was speaking.

Royal_Delight
Location: In Madejski's Mansion counting the fans' season ticket money

by Royal_Delight » 09 Jan 2010 18:03

Archie's penalty
zummerset Nearly everyone on here (if that is a sample of RFC fans) thought he was a pompous windbag that was on a fast track for managing us into League 1 until he was sacked. I'm afraid that some humility would have gone a long way towards him keeping his job.

^^^^This totally. It was difficult to breathe what with all the bullsh*t he was speaking.

If the supporters found it hard to breathe when he was interviewed, i wonder how the players felt when they were in the dressing room at half time! They may be probably confused and dying of boredom! :o

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 09 Jan 2010 18:18

I watched a couple of Reading games this season (home games) and I agree that Brendan was very harshly treated, a potentially great manager was fired too early.

I have great sympathy for the man.
3:52PM, Jan 08, 2010 Composhat

Who wrote that at the bottom of The Sun article? :lol:

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Jan 2010 18:19

Composhat! I like that.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Jan 2010 18:33

I like the bit in the article where he describes the 4-1 thrashing at QPR as his worst day in football. Yeah, in all your years in football, eh Brendan.....narrowly beating the time you stood in dog poo putting the cones out at Cobham presumably?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Jan 2010 18:47

zummerset Nearly everyone on here (if that is a sample of RFC fans) thought he was a pompous windbag that was on a fast track for managing us into League 1 until he was sacked.

What stupid nonsense.

Nearly everyone? Every single one of the various popularity polls on here showed a majority in favour of Rodgers. Right up to the day he went.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jan 2010 18:56

Royal Rother
zummerset Nearly everyone on here (if that is a sample of RFC fans) thought he was a pompous windbag that was on a fast track for managing us into League 1 until he was sacked.

What stupid nonsense.

Nearly everyone? Every single one of the various popularity polls on here showed a majority in favour of Rodgers. Right up to the day he went.

Not as clear cut as that. Plenty of those may have thought he was still a pompous windbag taking us down, but didn't see the point in sacking him or wanted him to have more time. I never liked him, never thought he was doing a good job, but I generally voted for him to stay until towards the end.

zummerset

by zummerset » 09 Jan 2010 19:08

Not so RR - as the results deteriorated many nobbers turned from the 'give him time' perspective to the realisation that BR was in trouble and didn't have a credible plan. The waffle and piffle he spouted cemented the lack of connection that he had with the fans and reality and perhaps that was when the posts really started coming in negatively. In fact if you or I had more time then it would be interesting to count the many screams of anguish as we lurched from increasing disappointment to an eventual lack of faith in anything he touched.

No RR, the truth is there are lots of nice people that NOW feel sorry for BR getting moved on in such a short space of time and thats a credit to them and their sensitive loving dispositions. But the Board had to act and to be seen to be acting strongly regardless of the personalities and hopes for the future. Which is why we are now in a marginally better situation with some light at the end of the tunnel rather than a long slow slide into relegation.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 09 Jan 2010 19:16

Ian Royal
Royal Rother

What stupid nonsense.

Not as clear cut as that. Plenty of those may have thought he was still a pompous windbag taking us down, but didn't see the point in sacking him or wanted him to have more time. I never liked him, never thought he was doing a good job, but I generally voted for him to stay until towards the end.

Pretty much agree with Ian. If the poll question was should he be sacked, I'd generally grit my teeth and say no, but I had a bad feeling about him very early on.

Cookie

by Cookie » 09 Jan 2010 19:32

The Sun says.
"On the day he was sacked, Reading were level on points with Ipswich, who had given Keane £10m to spend."

Brandan says, (as he takes some credit)
"the team's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at the weekend showed you the team's potential. It is consistency which the team now needs."

You got to say there's a certain ring of truth about what he says. He's still got his nose well up Jose's arse though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Jan 2010 19:38

Cookie The Sun says.
"On the day he was sacked, Reading were level on points with Ipswich, who had given Keane £10m to spend."

Brandan says, (as he takes some credit)
"the team's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at the weekend showed you the team's potential. It is consistency which the team now needs."

You got to say there's a certain ring of truth about what he says. He's still got his nose well up Jose's arse though.

No, the Moronio thing? thats just been convenient press talk.

I concur with most on here that he should've been given more time

We are afterall, still utilising his squad right now, and will be for the forseeable

but he's gone, and he aint coming back

Thanx for the Mcanuffs and Siggys Bren!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 09 Jan 2010 19:44

Ian Royal Very simple reason he was sacked. Failure to produce results and the very real threat of relegation which he hadn't done enough to convince the board that he knew how to avoid it.

It was a tough call, but to say you can't understand why it was made must mean you have some sort of mental issue. You don't have to agree, but it's bloody obvious why he was sacked and had been coming for a fair while. He just managed a stay of execution for a while, that's all.

If I took over your company and sacked all your best staff and promoted internal cleaners to replace exec's, would you be expected to get good results at the end of the financial year? Think not. The Cleaners may learn the job in the long run but are hugely inexperienced from the word go. Same with Reading.

BR made mistakes, the real problem is Madejski, he is vast competing with Michael Knighton for most outrageous chairman.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 09 Jan 2010 20:02

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal Very simple reason he was sacked. Failure to produce results and the very real threat of relegation which he hadn't done enough to convince the board that he knew how to avoid it.

It was a tough call, but to say you can't understand why it was made must mean you have some sort of mental issue. You don't have to agree, but it's bloody obvious why he was sacked and had been coming for a fair while. He just managed a stay of execution for a while, that's all.

If I took over your company and sacked all your best staff and promoted internal cleaners to replace exec's, would you be expected to get good results at the end of the financial year? Think not. The Cleaners may learn the job in the long run but are hugely inexperienced from the word go. Same with Reading.

BR made mistakes, the real problem is Madejski, he is vast competing with Michael Knighton for most outrageous chairman.

But rather than getting the cleaners to do the basics right, and steadying the ship before pressing on, you decided to completely ignore their apparent lack of ability and press on with your complicated and long-winded strategy that had more chance of doing long term damage to the company before things improved.

Then, as the company moved ever closer to failure, you closed your eyes, put your hands over your ears and assured everyone that everything was absolutely fine and that we'd imminently be mixing it with corporate elite once again.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 10 Jan 2010 11:22

[/quote]Pretty much agree with Ian. If the poll question was should he be sacked, I'd generally grit my teeth and say no, but I had a bad feeling about him very early on.[/quote]

We had a poll question on this topic. About 6 weeks ago. About two-thirds voted in favour of him going. I was genuinely surprised as at the time I got the impression from the postings on the forum that about 95% were in favour of him going.

169 posts