James Harper

james15

Re: James Harper

by james15 » 28 Jan 2010 18:03

I'd like to thank James for all he has done for the club, he ranks as one of the best players I've seen pull on the shirt in the 10 years I've been a Reading fan. Personable and nice in person and a awesome footballer above all else! Good luck at Sheffield it's sad to see you go!

towserSL2crew

by towserSL2crew » 28 Jan 2010 18:54

RG30 It sums Reading fans in abundance when they can give a hero's reception to Leroy Lita yet when it's James Harper they feel the need to abuse him.

Hold on , not many of us shouted f**k off Harper at Sheffield ,we didnt , and Harps laughed at the pricks who did.
Good luck Harps , not the greatest player but a great battler and character.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Jan 2010 20:21

RG30 It sums Reading fans in abundance when they can give a hero's reception to Leroy Lita yet when it's James Harper they feel the need to abuse him.

Quite! Having Harper and Sidwell playing together gave the likes of Little and Convey to do their stuff. It also allowed Murts and Shorey to bomb on as well. Thanks James. Legend status well and truly earnt. PS, ignore the mongtards that know no better; they probably still point at an aeroplane when they see one.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 28 Jan 2010 20:24

gazzer, loyal royal Won't be on the OS till tomorrow but James Harper has signed permanently for Sheff Utd.

May I be the first to thank him for what he did for the club during our most successful era ever. Best Wishes Harps

Absolutely right.Harps is a Reading legend no matter what the knockers on here say.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 Jan 2010 20:33

towserSL2crew

Hold on , not many of us shouted f**k off Harper at Sheffield ,we didnt , and Harps laughed at the pricks who did.
Good luck Harps , not the greatest player but a great battler and character.

It wasn't all Reading fans, but a minority. You're quite right though, he did laugh it off.

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 28 Jan 2010 20:37

Royal Tezza Some joker had the nerve to shout "Judas" at him at United. He didn't even want to leave ffs

:roll:

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 29 Jan 2010 09:52

floyd__streete
3 veesinarow I was under the obviously mistaken impression that virtually all people who bother to make it to away games are deep-seated supporters of the club and therefore should able to make better judgements about ex-players who served their club faithfully for a number of years (8 years in Harps case - no mean feat in the modern game)

I love this bit about loyalty, as if he was forever turning down offers from Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Sorry, don't get your point. You've used the word loyalty, I haven't.

I don't know how many offers Harps had from whichever clubs throughout his career with us, but there weren't stories at the end of every season about Harps wants out, Harps wants more, Harps wants CL football, were there? All I know is, however it came about, he stayed with and served us for 8 years. That should be recognised by all and not subject him to the crap he got the other night - or on here for that matter.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2010 10:03

3 veesinarow
I don't know how many offers Harps had from whichever clubs throughout his career with us, but there weren't stories at the end of every season about Harps wants out, Harps wants more, Harps wants CL football, were there? All I know is, however it came about, he stayed with and served us for 8 years. That should be recognised by all and not subject him to the crap he got the other night - or on here for that matter.

There was one occasion I remember quite some time ago when Feijenoord came calling. Harps was quite clear in his opinion though. Whereas he said that he wa honoured to be linked with a move to the Dutch giants, he said that playing abroad was something that he would like to do BUT NOT AT THIS STAGE OF HIS CAREER.

This is how I will remember him!

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 29 Jan 2010 14:55

Harper is an example of why Madejski has to sell up by the end of the summer. If Madejski cannot afford to pay the wages of some of our better players, then he shouldn't be in charge of the club.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 29 Jan 2010 15:35

:roll: so you're an advocate of the Leeds/Portsmouth/Cardiff management models then....?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 29 Jan 2010 15:43

I just wanted to put in writing my sadness (despite the inevitability) of James leaving RFC, and to express my thanks to him for all his time with us.

As has been said a number of times, a legend for RFC as a key member of the 106 team, but also because of his openess and honesty in all the times he met fans, both here and one pre season tours.

Thanks for the memories James, and good luck for your future career wherever you go.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 29 Jan 2010 15:55

Barry the bird boggler :roll: so you're an advocate of the Leeds/Portsmouth/Cardiff management models then....?

No.

Simply if he wants to sell up and he wishes not to put as much money into the club anymore, then sell to someone who does want to put the required money in.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Jan 2010 16:04

That does require somebody actually wanting to buy the club though...

I'm comfortable that Madejski will only sell to someone that he is confident will look after the club and is capable of supporting it better than he will.

Much better that than be a Moores, Edwards or whoever used to own City (post-Swales if he actually owned it) sat at home watching a succession of idiots destroy the club that I/my family spent years building up and supporting.

Be careful what you wish for!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 29 Jan 2010 16:05

LoyalRoyalFan
Barry the bird boggler :roll: so you're an advocate of the Leeds/Portsmouth/Cardiff management models then....?

No.

Simply if he wants to sell up and he wishes not to put as much money into the club anymore, then sell to someone who does want to put the required money in.

For the umpteenth time - WHO IS GOING TO DO IT ?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2010 16:08

Thanks Harper and good luck mate.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 29 Jan 2010 16:11

Franchise FC
LoyalRoyalFan

No.

I'll head to the bank.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 29 Jan 2010 17:01

Top player and top bloke. Never gave anything less than 100% effort even if not having one of his better games.

Goal against Liverpool is still one of my top Madstad moments.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 29 Jan 2010 17:04

Handsome Man Also, unlike Doyle, Kitson, Hunt, and many of our other superstars, he put together a whole season of premiership-quality performances for us.

:|

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Jan 2010 17:15

Franchise FC
LoyalRoyalFan Simply if he wants to sell up and he wishes not to put as much money into the club anymore, then sell to someone who does want to put the required money in.

Mate do you really expect us to know the business world inside out and come out with names? Does it mean there is noone just because we can't name someone?

I see you both points. We *ideally* need a chairman who is actually into football, appreciates our long history, the rising status of the town, the size of the town, the huge catchment area and opportunity and latent support and is willing to stick around and put money where his mouth is. However not knowing everyone in the businessworld I have absolutely no idea who it might or if such a person even exists.

I think the underlying frustration is that if there is someone out there, why don't we just let him in? If there isn't, is it fair for Madejki to just leech money from the club and ruin all the good work he's done as we continue our freefall or should he be at least trying to keep things stable and not just give up? Is it fair for him to keep epecting fans to pay big amounts to fund the club and keep it going when he has given up himself. And if he has shouldn't he be lowering his standards (i.e. the selling price) to just get away, because holding out for a higher price is badly damaging us at the mo.

My gut feeling (just an opinion) is that Madejski is holding out for an unrealistically high price and there are people who wouldn't be too bad (perhaps not perfect but certainly far better than Madejski at the moment) willing to buy but Madejski wants more money. In which case I'd rather he just puts us out of our misery and sells. If he refuses to, he should at least either try to keep us as promotion contenders until he gets his price OR just be honest with everyone and say "guys I've given up with this club. I'm slashing ticket prices, and I won't feed you any more BS about ambition because I don't have any anymore. Sorry but things are going to be bad until I get the price I want."

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2010 18:49

Focher
Handsome Man Also, unlike Doyle, Kitson, Hunt, and many of our other superstars, he put together a whole season of premiership-quality performances for us.

:|

Doyle was poor most of the relegation season. Hunt was poor for half of each season. Kitson barely played the first season and was poor for the second half of the relegation season.

Harper was not as good as either Kitson or Hunt when they were playing well in our relegation season, but was good all the way through, like Hahnemann. He was also good the previous season.

So it would be reasonable to say that the two players we had who performed the best over the whole of our Premier League adventure (so discounting Sidwell) were Harper and Hahnemann.