Gylfi or a new striker?

Swap Gylfi for a new striker?

Yes - goals are what we need than anything now.
10%
No - Glyfi's far too important to lose now.
90%

Total votes: 88
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Gylfi or a new striker?

by Terminal Boardom » 31 Jan 2010 16:25

IMHO, he is the best midfielder this club has produced since Scott Taylor.

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 31 Jan 2010 16:27

Ian Royal He's no better than the likes of Kitson, Sidwell or Little IMO. That puts him up with the best we've ever had. I think you're getting a little too carried away.

You've compared him to three players who are nothing like him. Sidwell, I can possibly see a comparison (at a stretch) but Little and Kitson? :?:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Jan 2010 16:33

Ian Royal He's no better than the likes of Kitson, Sidwell or Little IMO. That puts him up with the best we've ever had. I think you're getting a little too carried away.

Perhaps, but I think some forget that this is his first full season in first-team football, and he's only 20, yet he is still the centre of our team.

Pablo

by Pablo » 31 Jan 2010 16:41

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 31 Jan 2010 16:46

West_Reading

You've compared him to three players who are nothing like him. Sidwell, I can possibly see a comparison (at a stretch) but Little and Kitson? :?:

I wasn't comparing him to their style or type, but to their quality. Of all of them he's most like Little, in that he doesn't rely on pace, has excellent ball control and tricks his way past players. Sidwell was never a finesse player, he was strong and direct.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 31 Jan 2010 16:52

I can't recall him getting too many efforts on target yesterday. Yes, I concede that 9 goals for us in a shit season is impressive - esp for someone as young and inexperienced. However, as suggested elsewhere, he is not Frank Lampard!

Pablo

by Pablo » 31 Jan 2010 20:39

Terminal Boardom

I can't recall him getting too many efforts on target yesterday. Yes, I concede that 9 goals for us in a shit season is impressive - esp for someone as young and inexperienced. However, as suggested elsewhere, he is not Frank Lampard!

I know he is not Frank Lampard but you say his shooting is way off which I find amusing and shows me how little understanding you have about football.

Madjic

by Madjic » 31 Jan 2010 23:26

[quote="Dirk Gently"]Just for fun (I've heard no rumours or anything like that) what would be your thoughts if we got an offier to swap Gylfi (most promising youngster, future of the club and all that) for a "proven" striker

I've heard a rumour from the Smiths- we're getting Okaka...
Gyfli's off to Roma, I know, I know, it's serie A

:oops:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2010 00:13

Tough one.

Good thread :)

I'd have to go by our longterm success. From the way you describe it Dirk, a new striker giving us the goals we need would mean we'll survive this season. Not getting a striker, even with Siggy, and we're still relegation candidates.

Our champ status is more important than any one player.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 Feb 2010 00:24

I understand your sentiments there 2ww but i'd rather have Gylfi stay this season and gain the experience. Having a proven striker come in does not always mean they will arrive and be up and running at speed with the team. Kitson created a buzz for the right or wrong reasons when he came back and he was someone who knew the club / team and set up and still never produced despite having a point to prove. IIRC it was only Donny away Kitson scored for us.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2010 00:41

I agree 100% royalexile, good point.

I was just saying that if we could guarantee he score loads and keeps us up.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 01 Feb 2010 00:57

I want both actually. (i bloody wish!!) There are no doubt a few teams who have Gyfli on their radar but as has been proven in the past, sometimes ending up as an occasional benchwarmer is not conducive to a footballers personal development.

paddyaze

by paddyaze » 01 Feb 2010 01:15

royalexile sometimes ending up as an occasional benchwarmer is not conducive to a footballers personal development.

Victor Moses may end up that way ?

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 01 Feb 2010 01:49

Gylfi for sure.

But the question needs to be answered - if we don't get this "striker" and we happen to go down - will Gylfi still be here in the Summer ?

Dickie's Spear

by Dickie's Spear » 01 Feb 2010 06:40

Certainly NO.
Reading F.C. seems to be a very close knit community , there's no guarantee any striker despite his pedigree will perform in this set up anyway.
Look at our best strikers/players efforts after being sold off to other clubs, only Doyle and Rosenior appear to have kept their reputations intact.
Other former Reading players have really struggled 'trying to get ahead', Sidwell, Shorey, Kitson, Lita etc.
For the same reason I was happy Mc D was appointed for this reason, as fitting in is probalbly more important than anything else.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 01 Feb 2010 09:09

Pablo
Terminal Boardom

I know he is not Frank Lampard but you say his shooting is way off which I find amusing and shows me how little understanding you have about football.

Typical keyboard warrior attitude. If someone disagrees with an opinion then they know nothing. YAWN!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Feb 2010 12:28

Good question Dirk!

If the swap deal meant guaranteed Championship football next season then unfortunately I think I'd have to say take it. If we don't stay up this season the ramifications could hit us for years and unfortunately I can't see us keeping Sigurdsson for that long anyway. He may also never fulfil his potential and this could be the best 6 months of his career!

TB does have a point on the lads shooting. He's scored some very good goals, and his composure and technique mean he should score more too, but some of hi shooting has been a bit wayward at times. The same can be said for the likes of Ronaldo, Lampard and Gerrard though so I'm not too fussed by it...if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle!

marettes

by marettes » 01 Feb 2010 13:13

I see that QPR have today got Marcus Bent on loan from Birmingham till the end of the season ....

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Feb 2010 13:15

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 26 Jun 2010 02:30, edited 1 time in total.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 01 Feb 2010 13:46

:o just the very thought of chopra wearing a reading shirt makes me feel sick!! cant stand that odious little creep, 99% of his goals come from foul play (i mean serious gamesmanship, not a jossle or nudge!) one way or another and id rather a player like that not be a royal!