Have Reading done enough this transfer window?

112 posts
readingFTW

Have Reading done enough this transfer window?

by readingFTW » 01 Feb 2010 20:14

Only three loan deals:
Zurab Khizanishvili;
Gunnar Thorvaldsson;
Andy Griffin.
Are we in the position to splash so little cash?
Your views.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

Re: Have Reading done enough this transfer window?

by URZZZZZZZZ » 01 Feb 2010 20:19

I would say this has probably been one of the better ones to be honest. League position to quality of players ratio has come up quite well I think.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Feb 2010 20:20

Yes

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Feb 2010 20:31

Major doubts about our strike force. Thorvaldsson yet to convince. However, given that we get a chance to pursue loans in Feb, it's fair enough. If Zurab is as effective as Griffin, we've solved some major defensive problems.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 01 Feb 2010 20:56

We needed a first-choice striker. I assumed Thor would be that, but Long and even Bignall have got on ahead of him, which doesn't bode well. If we don't stay up, Madejski may regret not putting his hand further into his pocket. Goalscorers are out there for loan: Sheff Wed picked up Luke Varney, for instance.

Football is really a simple game: the more goals, the more wins. I don't know about signing Thorvaldsson full time, and surely Church and Long have to go in the summer. Neither are regular goalscorers, nor ever likely to be; so lets get people in who can poke the ball in the net.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Feb 2010 21:14

I can't remember the last ime we did "enough" in a transfer window tbh.

When we bought Lita perhaps?

rob9182

by rob9182 » 01 Feb 2010 21:25

Yes, I think we have done enough however I think Thor is unfortunate not to get a start however Bignall has apparently put in some good performances for the reserves and scored a few goals obviously what we need at the moment. I think Griffin is a good player, he has already made an impact in reinforcing an already improving back four with mills in with Ingimarsson. Haven't seen Kizanishvali yet so can't really see how much of an impact he has made yet if any. I do agree though that where ever we finish at the end of the season, It will say what needs to be said for Madjeski's need to spend.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 01 Feb 2010 21:28

facaldaqui We needed a first-choice striker. I assumed Thor would be that, but Long and even Bignall have got on ahead of him, which doesn't bode well. If we don't stay up, Madejski may regret not putting his hand further into his pocket. Goalscorers are out there for loan: Sheff Wed picked up Luke Varney, for instance.

Football is really a simple game: the more goals, the more wins. I don't know about signing Thorvaldsson full time, and surely Church and Long have to go in the summer. Neither are regular goalscorers, nor ever likely to be; so lets get people in who can poke the ball in the net.

We missed out on him because we were mistakenly after Reg Varney.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 01 Feb 2010 21:39

No. Again.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 01 Feb 2010 23:51

Now that the window is out of the way, we can see who is left that we could get in on loan. We can still bring players in on loan until March, so there's no panic to sign loan players today.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 01 Feb 2010 23:52

Inde-ed. Striker please Mr. Mcdermott.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 02 Feb 2010 00:04

He has already hinted that he could extend the number of loanees if needed. Within the current review of the team and performance, hopefully enough has been done to rectify the weakness in areas covered so far. With more time and a fresh evaluation i would hope the funds are available to add and bolster the team further.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Feb 2010 04:56

Perfect window for me, no full time signings, just loans, means that McD is being testedfully by JM, no cloth available in our current circumstances.

Only one wish we had gone for was Barnard from Southend,, must have been affordable if So'ton got him.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 02 Feb 2010 07:44

Harpers So Solid Crew Perfect window for me, no full time signings, just loans, means that McD is being testedfully by JM, no cloth available in our current circumstances.

Only one wish we had gone for was Barnard from Southend,, must have been affordable if So'ton got him.

I thought Soton had been bought out and were well past their financial problems.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Feb 2010 07:57

Does not mean they will have paid over the odds

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 02 Feb 2010 08:04

Royalee No. Again.

Would you care to expand on your thoughts?

Personally I would have liked to see another striker come in on loan until the end of the season. Someone experienced like Kevin Phillips for example.

Griffin is proving a great find and the K Man is, as yet, unproven.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 02 Feb 2010 08:05

No
We should have got hold of a first-choice centre forward to go straight into the team and off-loaded a few of the passengers.

Comfortably Numb

by Comfortably Numb » 02 Feb 2010 08:26

facaldaqui We needed a first-choice striker. I assumed Thor would be that, but Long and even Bignall have got on ahead of him, which doesn't bode well. If we don't stay up, Madejski may regret not putting his hand further into his pocket. Goalscorers are out there for loan: Sheff Wed picked up Luke Varney, for instance.

long can go, but give Church a chance ffs. It's his first full season in the CCC and he's in a pretty poor team. his movement is second to none in our side, goals will come.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 02 Feb 2010 08:48

Jack Celliers No
We should have got hold of a first-choice centre forward to go straight into the team and off-loaded a few of the passengers.

from what i understand we were due to swap Kebe for Bednar of West Brom for the rest of the season until he scored in the middle of January, so the club were doing something

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Feb 2010 09:15

Weaknesses pre window: Upfront, rightback, defence, left wing
Signings: Upfront, rightback, defence

Financial situation -> limited money available without risking financial model. Any permanent signings made are a risk as they do not in anyway guarantee staying up and would be problem should we go down.

We've done as much as we can without spending loads of money. We've missed out on a couple of signings... Welbeck - to Fergie's son, McSheffrey - Leeds. But that's it, not a lot happened.

112 posts