Rodgers: The 'Truth'

207 posts
URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

Re: Rodgers: The 'Truth'

by URZZZZZZZZ » 06 Feb 2010 04:40

Alan Partridge I went to QPR and it was one of the most disjointed, rudderless, passionless performances I have ever seen from a Reading side. I thought Rodgers was doomed from there. No one played for him that night. No one competed, no one wanted to be there and Reading got stuffed, it could have been 10-1.

I agree entirely with the whole post, but doubly so the quote. We were lucky with the one to be honest. I'm a huge fan of 4-4-2, particularly in this division.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Feb 2010 10:18

That was 15 minutes or so of my life that I will never get back. :|

midfield diamond

by midfield diamond » 06 Feb 2010 10:49

It was another 15 mins of Bodger dribble.
Everytime we lost he said he was going to 'reflect' for a few days and when he lost his job he went on holiday for a week to 'reflect' on his time at Reading and look for the positives. He has just been reading too many crap management handbooks.
TD in his attempt to 'make up' with Bodger didn't ask the more interesting question ' you were quoted in the Sun that you didn't get on with Howe. why exactly was that?'

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Feb 2010 11:20

"No...yes...no...look...no"

Waffle and piffle. He reckons we found consistency at the end of his tenure. Self-deluded.

As people have said, he's read too many manegement books.

Good luck to him but we're better off without him that's for sure.

Reading between the lines, I believe that words were exchanged with Howe at the "Function" the night before his sacking. It will come out eventually.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2010 11:21

Alan Partridge The only thing I was a bit taken back by Rodgers dismissal was the timing. The Palace game apart where Reading's goalkeeper had a nightmare, I would agree that the team had settled down a bit, and shown glimpses or signs of improvement. A bit of that interview what i find a bit naieve on Rodgers part, he says 'if I'd known I'd only get 6 months, I would have changed players earlier and maybe got some more expereinced players in'. It's ok having youngsters but they have to contribute to the team in a positive way. It's no good playing youngsters for the sake of playing youngsters. The first thing Big Mac has done, sign a proper right back. That would have helped you no end Brendan.

He persisted with a formation that didn't suit the players Reading have. We had a Chelsea style setup but we don't have a midfielder like Lampard capable of 15 league goals+, nor do we have an all round brute of a forward like Drogba capable of playing up front on his own.

I enjoyed the interview though otherwise, i decent insight to his view on things, but that's what it is, his view. There are certain other people in the mix of the whole situation with their own take on things which ended with Rodgers losing his job.

I went to QPR and it was one of the most disjointed, rudderless, passionless performances I have ever seen from a Reading side. I thought Rodgers was doomed from there. No one played for him that night. No one competed, no one wanted to be there and Reading got stuffed, it could have been 10-1.

I am still convinced Rodgers wouldn't have used the loan market particularly well and I am sure we may have had 1 or two more high profile departures. There is a time and place for complexity, change in the way we do things and that's when you are 12th with 6/7 games to go and nothing to play for. When you are struggling it's basics time and you have to have the right components in the team to be able to fight a bit more, scrap a bit more for points. McDermott has got Reading back to 4-4-2. He's getting the most out of his senior pros which Rodgers certainly never did, and on the face of it he's made a couple of signings that should be good enough in this league.

The job came far too early for Brendan, he might make a decent manager one day but I am still 100% sure that him going has benefitted the team and united the club again.

Superb post.

Rodgers got 6 months because he was doing badly and showing no real signs of actually realising his team were i the right shit unless he acted positively to get them out of it by compromising his 3 year plan.

If he hadn't have concentrated on his 3 year plan to the near total exclusion of any consideration for the present, he would have got 3 years, not 6 months.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 06 Feb 2010 11:29

I think this is being generous. There was no 3-year plan. It was just bad management on his part. 3 year plan = buying Cummings, Rasiak, et al? I don't think so. He's just hiding behind this "project" talk. Don't fall for it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 06 Feb 2010 12:17

URZZZZZZZZ To be fair, McDermott has the same amount of home wins in 3 games as Rodgers has in half a season's worth. Any argument about who is the best choice is irrlevant in the circumstances.

You are assuming that McDermott will win more games at home before the end of the season. Whilst hoping that will be the case, it does rely on our players (the forwards in particular) coverting rather more of the chances set up for them on a plate than they have done to date! The absence of a clinical finisher from our squad could still yet cost us our Championship status and another manager his job.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 06 Feb 2010 12:44

I don't believe anybody has assessed the BR situation more accurately than Alan Partridge's recent post, it is without doubt calm, well thought out, objective and reasonable.

Well done!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2010 12:56

I like Rodgers. I like Maccy D but I was curious to see how the managers compared

Rodgers was "doing a Watford", wobbling, then getting it right.

MacD's league form (6 games) looks a bad statistic. The cup exploits (which are brilliant) hide a worrying picture

W1 D3 L3 F04-A08 06 points (7 games) = “39 Point Season” “Bottom” Bren’s first 7 games
W1 D1 L5 F07-A16 04 Points (7 games) = “26 Point Season” “Bottom” Bren’s second seven games
W3 D2 L2 F12-A10 11 Points (7 games) = “73 Point Season” “8th plce” Bren’s third seven games

W1 D2 L3 F05-A11 05 Points (6 games) = “38 Point Season” “Bottom” McD’s 6 League Games
W3 D3 L3 F09-A13 "12 Points" (9 games) = “61 Point Season” “10-12th” McD’s 9 games inc cup

As someone pointed out, Brendan's 21 games split nicely into 3 x 7

His third "7" included the bizarre Crystal Palace game, where but for a crazy two minutes
before half-time we didn't look so bad. We also could have beaten Scunthorpe...

But his points per game for that last 7 equates to a 73-point season (8th)
Had we beaten Scunny, that would be a 78 point season (4th)

Pretty obvious he had turned things round. Of course it MIGHT be that he'd've lost his next
seven games (today would be his 28th league game) but the 7-7-7 suggests he would have
at least matched his third seven games.

I'm loving the FA Cup and I was thinking our league form under MacD was better than it
actually is... So far (and yes it's early days) MacD's league results would leave us bottom
at the end of the season..

Based on today's result, taking Mac to 7, a win would mean the equivalent of a 53 point season,
a draw or a loss would be the equivalent of a relegation year

Actual data below

=================================

H 0-0 D Forest
A 0-3 L Newcastle
A 0-0 D Swansea City (“Lucky”)
H 1-3 L Sheffield Utd
A 3-1 W Barnsley
H 0-0 D Doncaster
H 0-1 L Cardiff City

W1 D3 L3 F04-A08 05 points “33 Point Season” (Bottom)

A 2-3 L Peterborough (“Blew 2-0 Win”)
H 1-1 D Watford
A 2-1 W Preston (“Hung on for win”)
H 0-2 L Middlesbrough
A 1-3 L WBA (Winning 1-0)
A 1-4 L QPR (DIRE)
H 0-1 L Leicester City (Platyed well, unlucky)

W1 D1 L5 F07-A16 04 Points “26 Point Season” (Bottom)

A 3-1 W Coventry City
H 1-1 D Ipswich Town
H 2-1 W Blackpool
A 1-2 L Derby County (leading 1-0)
A 2-0 W Sheffield Wed
H 2-4 L Crystal Palace (crazy two minutes, Moses)
H 1-1 D Scunthorpe (hat-full of chances)

W3 D2 L2 F12-A10 11 Points “73 Point Season” (8th)

Had we beat Scunthorpe would = 78 point season (4th)

A 1-1 D Bristol City
H 1-1 D Swansea City
A 1-4 L Plymouth
A 1-2 L Nottm Forest
A 0-3 L Sheffield Utd
H 1-0 W Barnsley

W1 D2 L3 F05-A11 “38 Point Season” (Bottom)

H 1-1 D Liverpool
A 2-1 W Liverpool
H 1-0 W Burnley

Including the FA Cup games

W3 D3 L3 F09-A13 “61 Point Season” (10th -12th)
Last edited by Snowball on 06 Feb 2010 15:43, edited 1 time in total.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 Feb 2010 13:11

Bloody hell we have missed you Snowball, hooray for cup games getting points!!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 06 Feb 2010 13:18

Anyone else notice that Snowflake has only resurfaced SINCE Shane Long scored at Anfield? :|

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Feb 2010 14:17

Terminal Boardom Selling all those players for all that money DEMANDED an experienced manager to handle what was left

+1,000,000

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2010 14:54

Terminal Boardom Anyone else notice that Snowflake has only resurfaced SINCE Shane Long scored at Anfield? :|

And is spouting exactly the same tired conjecture dressed up as meaningful statistical analysis as ever.

LOL at his breakdown suggesting Rodgers would have "at least matched his last seven games" in his next seven.

:lol:

working class hero

by working class hero » 06 Feb 2010 14:57

Are you sure your sums all add up correctly Snowball...?

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 06 Feb 2010 14:59

With McDermott now managing do we have a backroom staff ?? or is it Mcdermott and Gibbs, manager,assistant manager, coach, reserve team manager, chief scout etc...................?????????

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 06 Feb 2010 15:00

Ian Royal
Terminal Boardom Anyone else notice that Snowflake has only resurfaced SINCE Shane Long scored at Anfield? :|

And is spouting exactly the same tired conjecture dressed up as meaningful statistical analysis as ever.

LOL at his breakdown suggesting Rodgers would have "at least matched his last seven games" in his next seven.

:lol:

But... given the upward trend of the last seven games, the last two of them were clearly a statistical anomaly and should be ignored. So in fact, it's obvious that we were going to get 2 points OR MORE a game from then on. But RFC are INCAPABLE of reading basic statistics or using elementary logic and sacked BR which was the WRONG THING TO DO.

I have a Ph.D., have taught LOGIC for 25 years and have co-authored a book on REASONING.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Feb 2010 15:11

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad I never went to his university or did his subject.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2010 15:45

Harpers So Solid Crew Bloody hell we have missed you Snowball, hooray for cup games getting points!!

Had I not mentioned the three FA Cup games the response would have been,
"But what about those three superb results verus Premiership clubs Liverpool and Burnley?"

I show the league form and an alternative of "all games"

Selective, huh?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2010 15:51

Ian Royal And is spouting exactly the same tired conjecture dressed up as meaningful statistical analysis as ever.

LOL at his breakdown suggesting Rodgers would have "at least matched his last seven games" in his next seven.:

"Of course it MIGHT be that he'd've lost his next seven games (today would be his 28th league game) but the 7-7-7 suggests he would have at least matched his third seven games."

Palm Tree Man wins Logic Prize

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 06 Feb 2010 19:21

MacD's league form (6 games) looks a bad statistic. The cup exploits (which are brilliant) hide a worrying picture

But for 7 games, looking a lot better!±!±!

W1 D3 L3 F04-A08 06 points = “39 Point Season” “Bottom” Bren’s first 7 games
W1 D1 L5 F07-A16 04 Points = “26 Point Season” “Bottom” Bren’s second seven games
W3 D2 L2 F12-A10 11 Points = “73 Point Season” “8th plce Bren’s third seven games

W2 D2 L3 F05-A11 08 Points = “53 Point Season” “Bottom” McD’s first 7League Games

Including cup games
W4 D3 L3 F09-A13 "15 Points" (10 games) = “69 Point Season” “8th” McD’s 9 games inc cup

207 posts