McMessiah's Tactics

bagman

Re: McMessiah's Tactics

by bagman » 07 Feb 2010 18:35

Of real significance is the number of players whose performance has greatly improved under BMc -- Long, Mills, Bryn, Jem added to the astute signings of Grif and the Russian General. Add that to tactics that come from analysing the opposition rather than coaching manuals, and substitutions that have a real impact on the game and we have a proper Manager!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2010 18:36

We often defended deep under Coppell as well.

When you don't have a lot of pace at the back, and your attacks are direct and pacey it's a good tactic.

When you are trying to dominate midfield and play a slow passing game it's stupid.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 07 Feb 2010 20:02

bagman Of real significance is the number of players whose performance has greatly improved under BMc -- Long, Mills, Bryn, Jem added to the astute signings of Grif and the Russian General. Add that to tactics that come from analysing the opposition rather than coaching manuals, and substitutions that have a real impact on the game and we have a proper Manager!

Agree with this. Brian is also benefitting from the return to full match fitness of Mills, Ingimarsson, Long and Howard.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Feb 2010 20:38

Jeffers217 What really impressed me last night was when Brian made our players come and applaud the fans and then came over himself- the reaction from the crowd was great and I had a real sense that in that moment he won a lot of fans and now we are more willing to back the man. He's also a decent guy, is realistic and doesn't bullshit, and gets crap players like Long and Howard actually playing. I wonder what it would be like if he could actually get Marek playng to his potential! However MacAnuff looked totally useless.

I just can't understand how you could fail to spot the number of times Jobi raced back to help out his defence, on at least a couple of occasions producing critical challenges to dispossess Doncaster when they were looking dangerous.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 07 Feb 2010 22:46

We are in a dogfight. B Mc is finding out which players are up for it. Howard yesterday demonstrated the attitude that is required.

Long deserves a decent run in the team. A dozen games at least. If he's not up to the task. Then he goes in the summer. You can't rubbish a player that hasn't had an opportunity to establish himself in the team.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Feb 2010 23:30

Lower West We are in a dogfight. B Mc is finding out which players are up for it. Howard yesterday demonstrated the attitude that is required.

Long deserves a decent run in the team. A dozen games at least. If he's not up to the task. Then he goes in the summer. You can't rubbish a player that hasn't had an opportunity to establish himself in the team.

He has had several chances. He did a lot to take one at the end of last season, but then failed to follow it up this season until the last couple of games. He needs to perform over the rest of the season as well if he is going to have earnt staying and being in the first team plans for next season.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 08 Feb 2010 08:28

bagman Of real significance is the number of players whose performance has greatly improved under BMc -- Long, Mills, Bryn, Jem

I don't agree that Jem's performances are improving, he has been quite poor in the last two matches.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Feb 2010 09:25

Ian Royal
Lower West We are in a dogfight. B Mc is finding out which players are up for it. Howard yesterday demonstrated the attitude that is required.

He has had several chances. He did a lot to take one at the end of last season, but then failed to follow it up this season until the last couple of games. He needs to perform over the rest of the season as well if he is going to have earnt staying and being in the first team plans for next season.

9 goals last season, at almost a goal every 180 minutes played matching Doyle and Noel Hunt's scoring rate.

His post-Xmasgoals alone were what kept Reading in the hunt for automatic promotion on the last day.

As for the start of this season, he was carrying an injury and was not fully fit
plus playing in a Rodgers system that didn't much suit him. He looked devoid of confidence.

He is still only just 23, has changed his body-shape and is now much tougher-built
and is far more of a goal threat than Church.

His goals per minutes played is now noticeably better than Church, someone who has had
a good run in the team and still doesn't look like a goal-scorer.

At the moment he should be an automatic choice for the first eleven. He'll improve even more

zummerset

by zummerset » 08 Feb 2010 10:03

I was so wrong. Howard may look like a preening celeb wannabee but he played like Bruce Willis kicking the arse of those evil South Africans

Yippee-Ki-Aay............mutha f*cka

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Feb 2010 10:06

They're Germans, Americans, Germans, Americans. hth

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 08 Feb 2010 10:11

Ian Royal We often defended deep under Coppell as well.

When you don't have a lot of pace at the back, and your attacks are direct and pacey it's a good tactic.

When you are trying to dominate midfield and play a slow passing game it's stupid.

I also think it's a sympton of a team low in confidence.

zummerset

by zummerset » 08 Feb 2010 10:14

papereyes They're Germans, Americans, Germans, Americans. hth

There is definitely a South African one- or was that Mel Gibson?

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 08 Feb 2010 11:03

zummerset

That's the one. Lethal Weapon... errrmmm... 2? I think it was the second one.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 08 Feb 2010 11:05

zummerset

That was Mel Gibson, Danny Glover and a brief shot of Patsy Kensit's knickers

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Feb 2010 12:06

zummerset

Lethal Weapon 2 I think?

Hans Gruber (Rickman), General rubbishtits (some crap actor), Brother Gruber (Irons), CIA nobead (Olyphant)

Agree with Rabidbee... defending deep is often a sign of poor confidence as well, as is hoofing it forward and bypassing midfield.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 08 Feb 2010 13:13

i know gyfil was injured for the donny game but i'm not quite sure why he stuck jobi on the left and kebe on the right i would have them the other way round imo

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Feb 2010 13:16

WoodleyRoyal i know gyfil was injured for the donny game but i'm not quite sure why he stuck jobi on the left and kebe on the right i would have them the other way round imo

They can both play both sides, and they both swapped sides several times during the match. I imagine they both spent equal time on each side, up until Kebe was subbed.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 08 Feb 2010 13:24

papereyes
zummerset

That was Mel Gibson, Danny Glover and a brief shot of Patsy Kensit's knickers

Try Sky+ HD 8)

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 08 Feb 2010 13:38

Couldn't agree more! Kids are good when things are going well but need the experienced heads around them when you're in a deep hole. Howard, Gunnar, Griffen were all putting the effort (and the boot) in. Mind you, so did Tabb earlier in the season but he seems to have dropped way down the pecking order - or is he crocked?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Feb 2010 13:46

As a team and as individuals we're inconsistent.

Apart from Mills I don't think any of them are showing great improvements in form. Gunnarsson possibly, but Ingimarsson unfortunately looks much the same and is still getting a bit exposed.

I'm not sure what happened with Mills under Rodgers. Personally I think he should've played more but perhaps he just wasn't fit or something was going on behind the scenes but we're now starting o see the quality of performance from him that warrented the transfer fee.

Griffin has made a big difference though. He's steady performances have tightened things up a lot at the back and helped to give us that solid base we were lacking under Rodgers. It just goes to show how much a weak link can effect things though.