Back from the game WBA

204 posts
Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game WBA

by Sarah Star » 14 Feb 2010 10:49

leww_rfc
PEARCEY
cmonurz A chip that goes in = a good chip. A chip that hits the keeper = a shite finish.

Thats plain daft...it was a decent chip which Carson couldn't hold onto. Great run and good finish from Churchy.

Very good run, so well timed, and it doesn't matter it went in, Well done Churchy!

I thought at the time that he looked a bit hesitant when he ran ahead - as if he couldn't quite believe he was onside - and that it was because the crowd urged him forward that he kept going. I was also glad that when the keeper got a hand to his first shot, he didn't just give up but kept going to get the goal.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 14 Feb 2010 11:08

Pseud O'Nym
Ian Royal a reasonable discussion (also known as an arguement)?

No it isn't.

Like George Bush, he has strong opinions. Like George Bush, he doesn't necessarily agree with them.....

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Feb 2010 11:14

Royal_Delight
Big Foot
Royal_Delight Anyone knows when Sig is coming back? Despite better performances by Kebe last night, I still think we lack creativity and its obvious that we need him for the next few matches.

Are you serious? Kebe's only issue of sorts is that he needs to work on his crossing.

When he's on the ball, I get the feeling that the only person capable of tackling him is himself. Just pass the ball to him and let him run at a 1,000mph towards goal and that's all you need from him. Look at the first half of last season for further proof. The man was on FIRE

Other than that wonder goal and his incredible speed, I thought that he was rather poor IMO. Most of the time he was trying to be smart and get pass Zuiverloon but was mostly blocked out. Of course, this post is only based on my opinion, I'm sure others would have different views on him based on last night performance.

But it's as simple as that - Kebe is incredibly fast so just give him the ball and let him run with it.

We need to play percentage football. Get him to run direct so many times that one of them comes off, cross so many times that by law of averages one has to be met with a thumping header.

If something works once, keep doing it

Allyh84

by Allyh84 » 14 Feb 2010 11:17

When Kebe has the ball, I feel like watching through my fingers. Either he is going to run like Pele or Parlour. :(

79Royal

by 79Royal » 14 Feb 2010 11:31

Big Foot Are you serious? Kebe's only issue of sorts is that he needs to work on his crossing.

When he's on the ball, I get the feeling that the only person capable of tackling him is himself. Just pass the ball to him and let him run at a 1,000mph towards goal and that's all you need from him. Look at the first half of last season for further proof. The man was on FIRE

That's because he was putting the ball in space behind the full back and rinsing him for pace. Since then he's been either cutting inside or trying to beat his marker with a trick, which usually ends up with him beating himself!

Someone needs to sit Jimmy Kebe down, remind him he could out run a tornado and tell him just to knock the ball past the defender and GET ON HIS BLOODY BIKE!

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 14 Feb 2010 12:20

rabidbee
willz_royal Griff at fault for both I feel. Fed shouldve saved the second too. Today did instill confidence that we can beat them artheir place though!

Not sure on the second - that was the left back, not the left-winger. McAnuff was sauntering about in the middle. Had we actually dropped into 4-4-1 after Church scored? He should have been on the right, McAnuff left and Tabb in the middle once we were leading again.

I am pretty sure we didn't change formation when Tabb came on
I thought 4 3 2 was a gamble which paid off, as Rasziak put Church through for the goal, but after that surely we should have reverted to 4 4 1?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Feb 2010 12:41

PEARCEY
cmonurz A chip that goes in = a good chip. A chip that hits the keeper = a shite finish.

Thats plain daft...it was a decent chip which Carson couldn't hold onto. Great run and good finish from Churchy.

I didn't think it was much of a chip. It seemed half way between a chip and an attempt to put it to the goalie's left. But it resulted in a goal, so well done to Church, who is overdue some luck. If Michael Owen gave two centre backs the jump like that, everyone would be purring.

But the goal gives support to a theory I've developed about Church: since he's such a bad shot, it might be better if he deliberately aims at the keeper--then his shots might go to the keeper's right or left. :P

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Feb 2010 12:50

Southbank Old Boy Agreed

Ian, you just dont get it do you. Griff didnt come in too far, he had to make a choice and in that situation you go inside to pick up the man nearest the crosser and the most danger to your goal, thats your job in that situation

As an ex full back, I agree with this. But something went badly wrong with the second goal, because two players--Griffin and another--were marking the inner man, and then they had to scamper to try to block Mattock. I wonder if Tabb coming on had disrupted the system, because there seemed to be a clot of players in the middle.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 14 Feb 2010 12:56, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 14 Feb 2010 12:52

Kebe has great pace, but thats it, no footballing brain whatsoever. There was a moment yesterday where we all saw what should have been a one-two with Plastic and Kebe just stood there, not a clue !
Very frustrating becuse when he gets it right he is electric and defenders cant live with him, but he gets to predicatble. I actually think he could be better on the right, at least he can go outside on his right foot and if they wanna show him inside instead then thats all good as well, problem is then it means moving Jobi and how can you do that?
WBA defended so high up the pitch yesterday that had Kebe used his head and just knocked it past them and ran, like he did for the goal, he could have mullered them ! As soon as he changed to wanting to cut inside everytime, they had him sussed.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 14 Feb 2010 12:55

I was impressed by how much covering back Kebe did yesterday. One of the reasons for our success in the first half of last season was the way Hunt and Kebe were constantly hastling their opponents down their whole side of the pitch. I hope Kebe steps that part of his game up, because it's very valuable.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Feb 2010 12:56

facaldaqui
Southbank Old Boy Agreed

Ian, you just dont get it do you. Griff didnt come in too far, he had to make a choice and in that situation you go inside to pick up the man nearest the crosser and the most danger to your goal, thats your job in that situation

As an ex left back, I agree with this. But something went badly wrong with the second goal, because two players--Griffin and another--were marking the inner man, and then they had to scamper to try to block Mattock. I wonder if Tabb coming on had disrupted the system, because there seemed to be a clot of players in the middle.

Tabb was badly positioned for their second goal and allowed Simon Cox far too much time to turn and pass

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Feb 2010 12:57

facaldaqui
PEARCEY

I didn't think it was much of a chip. It seemed half way between a chip and an attempt to put it to the goalie's left. But it resulted in a goal, so well done to Church, who is overdue some luck. If Michael Owen gave two centre backs the jump like that, everyone would be purring.

But the goal gives support to a theory I've developed about Church: since he's such a bad shot, it might be better if he deliberately aims at the keeper--then his shots might go to the keeper's right or left. :P

The thing is Simon Church is not Davor Suker. He wouldn't be playing with us otherwise.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 14 Feb 2010 13:03

79Royal Someone needs to sit Jimmy Kebe down, remind him he could out run a tornado and tell him just to knock the ball past the defender and GET ON HIS BLOODY BIKE!

Michael Gilkes, then.... trouble is, most of the time Gilkesey would hoof it to the corner, peg after it, leave the full back trailing in his wake and then he'd be going so bloomin' quick by the time he got to the ball that he couldn't stop, turn or cross.... :lol:

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Feb 2010 13:10

I still think Kebe is too lazy.

Reminds me a lot of Seol Ki Hyeon.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Feb 2010 13:38

Big Foot
Royal_Delight Anyone knows when Sig is coming back? Despite better performances by Kebe last night, I still think we lack creativity and its obvious that we need him for the next few matches.

Are you serious? Kebe's only issue of sorts is that he needs to work on his crossing.

He won't do that, though; as somebody else says, he comes inside on his right foot, and normally runs into the full-back. He has such pace, I wish he'd occassionally just ping the ball behind the full-back and leave him standing, but he never will. The thing is, if he did that a few times, the left-back would have automatically started to drop off a little to give himself the room to cope, allowing Kébé the space to use tricks instead. If he had the nous to mix it up more during a game, and kept switching wings, he'd be really dangerous - because the defenders just wouldn't know whether to get tight or drop off.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Feb 2010 13:47

79Royal
Big Foot Are you serious? Kebe's only issue of sorts is that he needs to work on his crossing.

That's because he was putting the ball in space behind the full back and rinsing him for pace. Since then he's been either cutting inside or trying to beat his marker with a trick, which usually ends up with him beating himself!

Someone needs to sit Jimmy Kebe down, remind him he could out run a tornado and tell him just to knock the ball past the defender and GET ON HIS BLOODY BIKE!

And also to attack the ball a lot more - for some reason (it might just be confidence or the state of the pitch) he doesn't seem to be able or want to take the ball on the run. He seems to like the ball to feet while he's stationary, and to start from there.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 14 Feb 2010 13:52

I thought it was a great game...

my ratings

Feds- 7
griff- 9
bertrand- 7
invar- 7
mills- 8
kebe- 7
mcanuff- 7
karacan- 5
gunnarsson -7
howard- 7
long- 7

the only week link for me was Jem, he was awful, in the first half he did not play 1 pass to his own team-mates. The only thing he contributed all game was that little run where he played ball rasiak(2 slow). He must be replaced. I thought that Mills and Griffin were quality again.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 Feb 2010 14:33

Tabb is a good battler, and you can't fault his enthusiasm. However, all I associate this lad with is losing! His record of wins at this club must be appauling since signing last January! He even came off the bench yesterday and we conceded!!

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 14 Feb 2010 14:34

LoyalRoyal22 I thought it was a great game...

my ratings

Feds- 7
griff- 9
bertrand- 7
invar- 7
mills- 8
kebe- 7
mcanuff- 7
karacan- 5
gunnarsson -7
howard- 7
long- 7

the only week link for me was Jem, he was awful, in the first half he did not play 1 pass to his own team-mates. The only thing he contributed all game was that little run where he played ball rasiak(2 slow). He must be replaced. I thought that Mills and Griffin were quality again.

Agree with most of that but would give Howard and Karacan both 6's.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Feb 2010 14:39

Big Foot
Royal_Delight

Other than that wonder goal and his incredible speed, I thought that he was rather poor IMO. Most of the time he was trying to be smart and get pass Zuiverloon but was mostly blocked out. Of course, this post is only based on my opinion, I'm sure others would have different views on him based on last night performance.

But it's as simple as that - Kebe is incredibly fast so just give him the ball and let him run with it.

We need to play percentage football. Get him to run direct so many times that one of them comes off, cross so many times that by law of averages one has to be met with a thumping header.

If something works once, keep doing it

Kebe's main problem as far as I'm concerned is his decision making skills. He runs when he should pass, cuts inside when he should cross, pulls back when he should shoot... etc etc

He also seems to have a tendency to want to go past the defender as close to him as possible, which means all you have to do is stand up to him and the ball will just come to you and be easy to block off and steal.

204 posts