Accounts of the stewards at WBA

james15

Re: Accounts of the stewards at WBA

by james15 » 03 Mar 2010 06:36

I have to agree with the comments on the stewards at Leicester. A Hull fan mate of mine had warned me about them before the big day, but thankfully they were great, allowed allot of pictures to be taken and videos too even when the match was on. The tango's I walked past when leaving the game treated my obvious exuberance with a smile and handshake rather than a stiff grimness, which was brilliant.

The worst stewards I've experienced were at Nottingham Forest at there very own Garden Shed in Nottingham, being called a 'hooligan' while walking into the ground, while being searched by a big messy fat man at the age 15 didn't impress me as such.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Mar 2010 08:11

Generally, the Top 3 Worst Stewards for away supporters are Middlesboro, Charlton and Forest.

Obviously there are exceptions and things change from match to match, but those three grounds are consistently bad.

At Charlton, many of the away stewards have full time jobs as prison officers at nearby Belmarsh - and that illustrates the problem : being trained in control and restraint at a high security prison aren't the qualifications that mean away supporters will be treated as "customers."

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 03 Mar 2010 08:35

Dirk Gently wrote:
Generally, the Top 3 Worst Stewards for away supporters are Middlesboro, Charlton and Forest.

Obviously there are exceptions and things change from match to match, but those three grounds are consistently bad.

At Charlton, many of the away stewards have full time jobs as prison officers at nearby Belmarsh - and that illustrates the problem : being trained in control and restraint at a high security prison aren't the qualifications that mean away supporters will be treated as "customers."

I have never had a problem at any of these grounds with the stewards when visiting.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Mar 2010 10:21

oldebiscuit The main incident was when a shirt was thrown out of the crowd (against the will of the owner) onto the cinder track in front the area occupied by 'Fat Boy and his cronies'. The shirtless fan went forward to ask the steward to return it. A female steward picked up the shirt and teasingly went to return it, and as the grateful owner leant forward to receive it, the female steward pulled it away. Smirking, she then passed the shirt to another steward who promptly hid it in the tunnel. HIGHLY AMUSING INDEED! Mighty pleased with their strangely amusing deed, they then gloated over the irate Wednesday fan, probably hoping that he would over react so that they could amuse themselves by perhaps, say 4 of them, rush in and bundle him out, 'roughing him up' on the way.
This pathetic exhibition of stewarding was completely uncalled for, especially as it was in front of the section of away fans that looked a bit boisterous. As it happened, nothing came of it and all the stewards concerned probably had a good laugh over a few drinks later, although probably dissapointed that they were unable to be 'really Heroic' as they did not have to eject any one on this occassion.
Reading stewards do not help themselves. They stand back and watch when a club with a big following or boisterous fans come to the Madstad, but pick on the smaller 'well behaved' fans from friendly clubs, like the Charlton fans last season that were ejected for dancing after they had just equalised.
OK, our stewards don't have the 'Night Club Bouncer' mentality that stewards at some clubs do, but you don't expect childish behaviour all the same.
Come on RFC stewards, you don't have to do it!

Sorry, that's not how at all how I saw it unfold.

I'm 99% certain the guy the shirt himself, so not sure how that's against his will.

The female steward made the first move towards him after picking it up and it looked like he told her, after than one attempt by her to give it back, that he didn't want it.

It was only when he was leaving that he asked for it back. One of the other stewards clearly said he would meet him outside and give it back.

Your just about as far wrong as you can be on this one oldebiscuit.

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 03 Mar 2010 22:06

FiNeRaIn
oldebiscuit
Quite agree, only an idiot would compare two of our stewards to that of otthers assaulting pro footballers etc. But what has that got to do with my observations and comments. Your replies and comments are so innaccurate.

And your location is a joke? then i must be a little slow. Please explain it slowly so that i may chuckle myself to sleep tonight

The fact that you put it on a thread called " Accounts of the stewards at WBA" what has this thread got to do with your agenda against our stewards from sheff wednesday, take your ramblings to another thread. We are here to talk about the events that night - nothing else

Nothing Else? Only the events of that night? Who do you think you are that you think that you can dictate your own made up rules on this website? Do me a favour. This is a discussion board, with little twists and turns. A slight distraction from the main subject here and then back. A tangent there and then back. A mention of TWITTER and back to the main subject. A mention of Leicester, a mention of Jeff Stelling. Get the picture?

You must be careful not to contradict your self. As Oscar Wilde once said 'it is better to sit there and look stupid rather than open your mouth and confirm it'

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 03 Mar 2010 22:15

Hoop Blah
oldebiscuit The main incident was when a shirt was thrown out of the crowd (against the will of the owner) onto the cinder track in front the area occupied by 'Fat Boy and his cronies'. The shirtless fan went forward to ask the steward to return it. A female steward picked up the shirt and teasingly went to return it, and as the grateful owner leant forward to receive it, the female steward pulled it away. Smirking, she then passed the shirt to another steward who promptly hid it in the tunnel. HIGHLY AMUSING INDEED! Mighty pleased with their strangely amusing deed, they then gloated over the irate Wednesday fan, probably hoping that he would over react so that they could amuse themselves by perhaps, say 4 of them, rush in and bundle him out, 'roughing him up' on the way.
This pathetic exhibition of stewarding was completely uncalled for, especially as it was in front of the section of away fans that looked a bit boisterous. As it happened, nothing came of it and all the stewards concerned probably had a good laugh over a few drinks later, although probably dissapointed that they were unable to be 'really Heroic' as they did not have to eject any one on this occassion.
Reading stewards do not help themselves. They stand back and watch when a club with a big following or boisterous fans come to the Madstad, but pick on the smaller 'well behaved' fans from friendly clubs, like the Charlton fans last season that were ejected for dancing after they had just equalised.
OK, our stewards don't have the 'Night Club Bouncer' mentality that stewards at some clubs do, but you don't expect childish behaviour all the same.

It was only when he was leaving that he asked for it back. One of the other stewards clearly said he would meet him outside and give it back.

Did you hear what he said from where you were sat ? You must have very good hearing.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 03 Mar 2010 22:21

oldebiscuit Nothing Else? Only the events of that night? Who do you think you are that you think that you can dictate your own made up rules on this website? Do me a favour. This is a discussion board, with little twists and turns. A slight distraction from the main subject here and then back. A tangent there and then back. A mention of TWITTER and back to the main subject. A mention of Leicester, a mention of Jeff Stelling. Get the picture?

You must be careful not to contradict your self. As Oscar Wilde once said 'it is better to sit there and look stupid rather than open your mouth and confirm it'

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 03 Mar 2010 22:41

FiNeRaIn
oldebiscuit Nothing Else? Only the events of that night? Who do you think you are that you think that you can dictate your own made up rules on this website? Do me a favour. This is a discussion board, with little twists and turns. A slight distraction from the main subject here and then back. A tangent there and then back. A mention of TWITTER and back to the main subject. A mention of Leicester, a mention of Jeff Stelling. Get the picture?

???????????????????????????????? A meaningless shot of a cat. Is it a WBA steward, or are you being distracted from the subject (contrary to your preaching).
Get a grip boy!

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 03 Mar 2010 22:45

oldebiscuit Some of the stewarding of the Sheffield Wednesday fans was nothing short of 'Childish' and 'provocative'. The main incident was when a shirt was thrown out of the crowd (against the will of the owner) onto the cinder track in front the area occupied by 'Fat Boy and his cronies'. The shirtless fan went forward to ask the steward to return it. A female steward picked up the shirt and teasingly went to return it, and as the grateful owner leant forward to receive it, the female steward pulled it away. Smirking, she then passed the shirt to another steward who promptly hid it in the tunnel.

Pretty much as i saw it but rather than infer it was hidden the shirt was simply thrown down the tunnel. The actual act of not handing the shirt itself though was not a provocative act. No one got angry over this, though originally the shirt was possibly thrown out of frustration at the time.
When both Tango and his croney left early the shirt was handed back to the man while Tango play acted up to the home support by kissing and hugging the stewards. Again open to interpretation but how i saw this 'incident'. A real storm in a teacup incident which bought such merryment from both sides.
Seemingly light hearted banter from the stewards is not allowed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2010 10:18

oldebiscuit
Hoop Blah

Did you hear what he said from where you were sat ? You must have very good hearing.

How do you know where I was sitting?

I could hear some of what was said yes, but from the body language it seemed pretty clear to me that the female steward was offering him his shirt back (either that or she was teasing him by holding it out and walking towards him offering it to him as he waved her away).

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 Mar 2010 13:30

Hoop Blah

I'm 99% certain the guy the shirt himself, so not sure how that's against his will.

The female steward made the first move towards him after picking it up and it looked like he told her, after than one attempt by her to give it back, that he didn't want it.

Exactly how I saw it
As described in my earlier post