Funniest moments as a Reading supporter

112 posts
M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

Funniest moments as a Reading supporter

by M-U-R-T-Y » 06 Mar 2010 01:13

With all these nostalgic threads knocking about I thought I'd start this one...

Pretty self-explanatory. Any memorable funny incidents, or bits of banter with the opposition's fans during the match or outside the ground, post them here!

- Funny moment a few years ago now was a 0-0 draw away at QPR. The game was pretty dull, but during the half time entertainment a supporter from either side was asked to take part in a game where, as far as I can remember, they ran around in circles with their head on a pole stuck into the ground at the half way line until they were dizzy, then ran down to the end and score against the other contestant in goal. QPR's participant missed, and ours was up next. It was a sudden death thing, so if our fan could score he'd win. He went up the other end of the pitch and duly fired it into the back of the net with aplomb and the away end erupted like we'd just scored in the 94th minute.

The best part was, at the time my dad was waiting for the toilets or something like that. He came back, didn't say anything, and it took him halfway into the second half until he realised it was still 0-0, as he thought we'd actually scored when he was in the concourse. :lol: :?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Funniest moments as a Reading supporter

by leww_rfc » 06 Mar 2010 01:22

Fed Scoring, sending the Cardiff fans into turmoil!

will think of more, just very tired at the mo.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 06 Mar 2010 01:29

Agreed with the Feds moment.

One that sticks in my mind is Sheffield Wednesday away in 05/06 season. A Wednesday fan, must have only been about 15-16, attempted to throw an empty coke can at the coach we were sat on, but managed to pelt it straight into his mates head. :lol:

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 06 Mar 2010 01:31

Cant remember which year but it was away at Oxford.....I will always believe that it was the banter of one guy behind the Oxford goal that contributed to each and every guy assigned to the goalkeeping role to have the worst game of their lives....I think we won 4-2 or something like that.....Quality banter skillz.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Mar 2010 01:42

The announcer at Port Vale trying to pronounce Dariusz Wdowczyk's name. He finally gave up and in exasperation stated: "You Reading fans know who he is." Priceless.

double d

by double d » 06 Mar 2010 02:08

Sheff wed at home champ winning season. Stadium P.A announced "Could Mr .... Please report to the nearest steward, your wife has gone into labour"!!! Pure class

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 06 Mar 2010 05:08

A cry of spell that you b;stard, to a ref about to book Wdowczyk

Steve Stone's open goal miss

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Mar 2010 07:38

Elm Park

Ball kicked out of play

Lands on Norfolk Road stand and rolls along

Then drops off of roof onto head of linesman

Highly amusing when you're 10

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 06 Mar 2010 08:18

M-U-R-T-Y Funny moment a few years ago now was a 0-0 draw away at QPR. The game was pretty dull, but during the half time entertainment a supporter from either side was asked to take part in a game where, as far as I can remember, they ran around in circles with their head on a pole stuck into the ground at the half way line until they were dizzy

:shock:

How did that work?

wiggso

by wiggso » 06 Mar 2010 09:47

In a match at Elm Park...cant remember which one, the bloke on the tannoy forgot to turn it of and started abusing Caskey.

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 06 Mar 2010 09:49

My favourite is the announcer for WHU's own goal when we thrashed them 6 - 0:

"The Reading goal scorer is.......West Ham United!" :D

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 06 Mar 2010 10:09

2-0 up at Brighton away in 2005. About 20 mins to go Reading were cruising to victory so the attention of the fans turn towards the ballboys at the front of the stand, we'll call them yellow stool and red stool (because of what they were sitting on). Some chants ensued much to the amusement of the fans. The jist was yellow stool was keen to milk the limelight and red stool who was a little older was embarassed and trying to stop him. He consequently got the piss taken out of him.

Having read that back it sounds pretty naff, suppose you had to be there.

sawyers left arm

by sawyers left arm » 06 Mar 2010 10:14

Plymouth away 1993 when a Plymouth fan was being carried out by police/stewards and as he passed the Reading fans a guy ran out the gate and punched him in the face, the guy could do nothing. PRICELESS.

Thankgodisfriday

by Thankgodisfriday » 06 Mar 2010 10:18

An Elm Park moment...think it was a testimonial /friendly...the tannoy was left on ...."Greavsie stop eating all the sausages you fat bxxxard"...this type of conversation went on for about a minute before someone raced up there to switch the mike off

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 06 Mar 2010 11:21

The Uri Gellar failure at Elm Park when the people in the stand had the coloured cards. Not sure who the game was against, but when one of their players was sent off, seeing a sea of red cards was most amusing!

North Eaat royal
Location: Part of that defence that didn't turn up after 2.45 on Sunday

by North Eaat royal » 06 Mar 2010 11:26

URZZZZZZZZ 2-0 up at Brighton away in 2005. About 20 mins to go Reading were cruising to victory so the attention of the fans turn towards the ballboys at the front of the stand, we'll call them yellow stool and red stool (because of what they were sitting on). Some chants ensued much to the amusement of the fans. The jist was yellow stool was keen to milk the limelight and red stool who was a little older was embarassed and trying to stop him. He consequently got the piss taken out of him.

Having read that back it sounds pretty naff, suppose you had to be there.

Similar type of thing but at Birmingham away in the cup a few years ago when we won 3-2. We took about 2,000 up for the majority of the game all 2,000 were singing abuse at a bald fat man who wasn't taking it too well!

tink

by tink » 06 Mar 2010 12:02

Barry Hunter at the old oxf*rd ground, clearing the ball for a throw in, when he was about a yard from the touchline, and belting it out as hard as he could, right into the oxf*rd supporters. must've hurt. priceless.

also, barry hunter taking 'shots' during the warm up and trying to see how many balls he could clear out of the ground. i'm pretty sure he did that at most away games i went to when he was in the team...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Mar 2010 12:06

Watching Jamie Lambert complete a full double somersault with triple pike to earn a freekick at Elm Park despite not having been touched by the sliding tackle on him.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 06 Mar 2010 14:47

percy_freeman The Uri Gellar failure at Elm Park when the people in the stand had the coloured cards. Not sure who the game was against, but when one of their players was sent off, seeing a sea of red cards was most amusing!

Derby at home early 1995, think we won 1-0 if my memory serves....

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Mar 2010 16:23

RIP ELM Park A cry of spell that you b;stard, to a ref about to book Wdowczyk

Steve Stone's open goal miss

That was me at Pompey in 95!!!

112 posts