Sidwell on at the end

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Sidwell on at the end

by Rex » 07 Mar 2010 23:18

When the penalty went in there was no hint of celebration from him. He just turned around and walked off towards his own half.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 08 Mar 2010 00:31

Top player for us i am glad he got a cheer when his name was read out as a sub for villa.

I just hope he finds some football rather than money as he could play at a top level with games.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 08 Mar 2010 00:34

2.8 lita injection Top player for us i am glad he got a cheer when his name was read out as a sub for villa.

You clearly don't sit in Y19 anywhere within earshot of the mong that is Edge, then...

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 08 Mar 2010 01:03

T.R.O.L.I. ^ LOL at that.

Offered the chance to test himself with the best in England / the world at Chelsea. Didn't make it there so went to the next level down. No football fan in their right mid would begrudge Sidwell for testing himself. Nothing but respect and gratitude here for one of the best players to pull on the Reading shirt.

:P

On this basis he'll be 38 before he finds a level where he's good enough to play week in week out........................unless he's only interested in collecting his pay cheque, his career has been one big fcuk up since the day he left us and it's posts like this that deserve a big LOL.

What a needless waste of what should have been a good career playing for a lower Prem team.

The current state of Sidwell's career shows he isn't, never has been and never will be the player that some of you insist he is.

Siggy is a better play than Sid was at the same age and Doyle has always been better than him.

The guy is either as deluded as some of you or prefers sitting on his backside counting his money.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 08 Mar 2010 01:19, edited 1 time in total.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 08 Mar 2010 01:09

Woodcote Royal

Offered the chance to test himself with the best in England / the world at Chelsea. Didn't make it there so went to the next level down. No football fan in their right mid would begrudge Sidwell for testing himself. Nothing but respect and gratitude here for one of the best players to pull on the Reading shirt.

:P

On this basis he'll be 38 before he finds a level where he's good enough to play week in week out........................unless he's only interested in collecting his pay cheque, his career has been one big fcuk up since the day he left us and it's posts like this that deserve a big LOL.

What a needless waste of what should have been a good career playing for a lower Prem team.

Steve Harper was 34 before he became a first XI player - took him 16 years of waiting and even then it was only because Newcastle were relegated

Never understood players who are happy to sit around warming the bench. Obviously its $$$$$

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Mar 2010 06:08

The way I see it, Sidwell moved to Chelsea for the chance to test himself against the best. Understandable, but it was just a step too far. So he moved down a level and tried a similar feat there. Once again, I'd say he has failed. He should look at joining a mid-table Premiership side in the summer, as he's just not quite good enough to make it at Villa. Still one of the greatest Reading players ever and he'll always get a welcome reception from me.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 08 Mar 2010 07:14

Sidwell played here for 4 seasons, always gave his all, was never good enough for Chelsea, however they wanted him to stop teams like Villa getting him at that point, as had he moved to Villa from us he would have made them stronger, and more of a threat to the top 4.

It is how they work, got a good round of applause from the LW when first popped along the touchline to warm up.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 08 Mar 2010 08:01

I thought O'Neil had been trying to bring Sidwell on for about 5 minutes but the ball did not go out of play.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Mar 2010 09:16

Sidwell did get into the Villa team when he first moved there but was then struck down by injuries iirc? from then on it's always been a battle to dislodge the likes of Petrov/Milner etc.

'greed with the comments about it being no shame to go and test yourself. Bear in mind as well that he was recruited under JM and was expecting to play when Essien and others were off on ACoN duties. Sadly Mourinho left within a couple of months so who know if he had stayed?

But generally I agree he should have aimed a bit lower, but I felt Villa was about his peak level. He might well drop down to a Wigan/Blackburn where he'd play 35-40 games a season but I applaud the guy for trying to test himself.

sawyers left arm

by sawyers left arm » 08 Mar 2010 09:41

This thread has just confirmed what I always said about Sidwell, he was the most 'OVER-RATED' player to have ever played for Reading.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 08 Mar 2010 09:52

sawyers left arm This thread has just confirmed what I always said about Sidwell, he was the most 'OVER-RATED' player to have ever played for Reading.

Judging by the clubs he has gone on to play for, surely he has to be considered one of the best?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2010 09:59

I think it's a real shame the way young players, or those that are flavour of the month for a while, get their heads turned by the top teams and then go and sit in their squads not playing.

I really think it hinders the England side as all the promising players just don't seem to progress enough through their early 20's because they're not getting enough games under their belts. You can't blame them for doing it because of the money involved and they have to think they've got a chance of making that step up at the time.

Sidwell could do a job for Villa but he's unlikely to really become a regular unfortunately. He'd be a great signing for someone like Newcastle when they get promoted though, or a Fulham or Sunderland, one of those middle ground clubs.

SWP is finding himself in the same situation at the moment. He even has the cheek to start having a go at City for not looking at renewing his contract (with 2 years left to run) and treating him like a youth team player and showing him no loyalty. Perhaps if he hadn't deserted them in the first place as soon as Chelsea came in for him he'd have a bit of a point!

Good luck to Sidwell though, he was awesome for us, and I agree with the OP that we wouldn't ahve got relegated if he'd stayed and maintained his form.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 08 Mar 2010 10:01

Royal With Cheese
sawyers left arm This thread has just confirmed what I always said about Sidwell, he was the most 'OVER-RATED' player to have ever played for Reading.

Judging by the clubs he has gone on to play for, surely he has to be considered one of the best?

'greed,

Still made 10 and another douzen or so sub appearences starts for a team that made the CL final and came 2nd in the league at Chelsea.

Then has gone on to contribute to Villa making a cup final, a cup semi final and gunning for the top 4 of the Premier League 2 years running.

Maybe not the star of those squads, maybe not even a first team regular but you don't get starts for teams like that without ability.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 08 Mar 2010 10:02

Could you elaborate on this. In what way was Sidwell over-rated as a Reading player and how does this thread confirm it.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 08 Mar 2010 10:15

Yeah i'm struggling to think why a player who gave his all in his last season, was a rock for us and was sorely missed, is still held in high regard, is deemed over rated.

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 08 Mar 2010 11:47

Wimb Sidwell did get into the Villa team when he first moved there but was then struck down by injuries iirc? from then on it's always been a battle to dislodge the likes of Petrov/Milner etc.

To be fair, Sidders was a part of the 'Villa team on a more consistant basis until Downing got himself fit. He and Petrov were in the middle of the park with Young and Milner on the flanks, but since Downing's return Milner has moved inside to accomodate the naturally left-footed Downing.

So, to summarise, Sidwell has lost his place in a side pushing for the top four to a player who was bought for circa £12million, and people are having a pop at him for that?

Ridiculous.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 08 Mar 2010 11:55

Yeah +1

LOL at the notion o'neill subbed him on as a pisstake. Why on earth would he do that? Ridiculous suggestion.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Mar 2010 11:56

FiNeRaIn

Yeah +1

LOL at the notion o'neill subbed him on as a pisstake. Why on earth would he do that? Ridiculous suggestion.

Course he didn't do it as a piss take. My reaction at the time was still "That's just taking the piss" though.

specialjon

by specialjon » 08 Mar 2010 12:00

I booed him when he started to warm up but it wasn't a hateful boo it was more a pantomine boo. Bless him, he warmed up for about 50% of the match and probably covered more distance than Rasiak did and he was playing! It's a shame to see him rot at villa, hopefully he'll get a move in the summer or get more of a chance at Villa. A mate of mine is a villa season ticket holder and says every time he plays he rubbish.

You're claiming if Sidwell had stayed, Reading would still be an average Premiership club? One player can make a difference in a football match, but not in a league status.

I'd agree with that if we'd have replaced him with a similar type and quality of player but as we didn't........ If he'd have stayed I think we would have got that extra point that we needed to keep us up in the premiership. I'm not sure if we'd have stayed up the season after but I definately think sidwell would have got us a point more to keep us up that season. Having said that I reckon 99% of footballers would have done what he did, with chelsea going in for him.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2010 12:04

scott brown would have been just as good if hed come here.

clapped him on at the end. sidders is a ledge and i love his little ginger pinhead