Back from the game - Bristol

howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Bristol

by howser » 13 Mar 2010 19:25

What has to be the main priority is securing our Championship place, and thankfully we seem to be doing that, anything else would be a bonus ! I have to admit that a rise to the premiership would leave us very vulnerable under our "cloth cutting" ownership, as we saw last time we sold our best player, and didnt replace him, and we had to put up with the "we will go with what we have got" saga....................................which clearly wasnt good enough.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 13 Mar 2010 19:27

FineRine yet again you are negative...At least this time you didnt label the fans muppets for singing a chant that you didnt like...however you are factually wrong - there is no chance of making the playoffs? Actually there is a chance of making the playoffs, its just unlikely, but not massively so. you really should go and support West Brom, their fans always see the glass half empty, moan about their own support, and generally sit on a misplaced Pedestal.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Mar 2010 19:41

bigshaka'away' FineRine yet again you are negative...At least this time you didnt label the fans muppets for singing a chant that you didnt like...however you are factually wrong - there is no chance of making the playoffs? Actually there is a chance of making the playoffs, its just unlikely, but not massively so. you really should go and support West Brom, their fans always see the glass half empty, moan about their own support, and generally sit on a misplaced Pedestal.

I won't lower myself to your petty, childish insults.

There is a big difference between big realistic and getting completely carried away. As several Bristol city fans said " you are deluded if you think you are going to make the play-offs" - I agree. It wasn't long ago we were being spanked by rubbish sides. Yes we have improved greatly, but we have WBA, Newcastle, Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Leicester all to come who are in and around playoff places and won't be easy games. We've had the last three league games at home which has given us 9 points..against poor opposition. Im delighted with the way BMD has us playing but stop kidding yourselves on that we are a playoff sides, we are still far closer to relegation and the re-building process is FAR, FAR from complete in terms of starting the revival.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Mar 2010 19:46

Agreed with Finerain's comments on Sigurdsson - he looked very tired 2nd half and I'd have taken him off to give Matejovsky a run out personally.

Tabb MoTM, everywhere.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 Mar 2010 19:46

FiNeRaIn
bigshaka'away' FineRine yet again you are negative...At least this time you didnt label the fans muppets for singing a chant that you didnt like...however you are factually wrong - there is no chance of making the playoffs? Actually there is a chance of making the playoffs, its just unlikely, but not massively so. you really should go and support West Brom, their fans always see the glass half empty, moan about their own support, and generally sit on a misplaced Pedestal.

I won't lower myself to your petty, childish insults.

There is a big difference between big realistic and getting completely carried away. As several Bristol city fans said " you are deluded if you think you are going to make the play-offs" - I agree. It wasn't long ago we were being spanked by rubbish sides. Yes we have improved greatly, but we have WBA, Newcastle, Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Leicester all to come who are in and around playoff places and won't be easy games. We've had the last three league games at home which has given us 9 points..against poor opposition. Im delighted with the way BMD has us playing but stop kidding yourselves on that we are a playoff sides, we are still far closer to relegation and the re-building process is FAR, FAR from complete in terms of starting the revival.

Fair point about the sides we still have to play. A very difficult run of games is coming up so it was vital to pick up the points we have. However to say we are still far closer to relegation is rubbish. Teams at the bottom by definition struggle to pick up points so to have a six point gap over Sheff Wed and two games in hand and a much better goal difference is a massive advantage. We are approximately equa distance from the relegation zone as we are to the play-offs. The likelihood is that we will fall somewhere between the two and finish mid-table but whilst there is hope.....

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 13 Mar 2010 19:56

We played very well today - totally dominated and contrary to what some have said I did not think Bristol were too bad. To me it was definitely a case of Reading playing well rather than City playing badly.

Fed - 6 - not a lot to do again
Bertrand - 8 superb today both in defense and attack
Ingi - 6 - don't remember him doing a great deal but what he had to do he did well
Mills - 8 - fast turning into the rock at the centre of defense
Gunnar - 7 - a few hairy moments but he has been superb for us time and again
Kebe - 7 - felt a bit sorry for him as he did not look quite as effective on the left - but still a good performance
Howard - 7 - very good today
Tabb - 8 - another excellent performance
Sig - 9 - first half - 5 second half - a definite game of two halves for him
McAnuff - 8 - might have just shaded MOTM
Long - 8 - tremendous display as lone striker - if he had been more clinical in front of goal would definitely have been my MOTM

McD - 10 - he seems to do no wrong

Ref- 9 - two good refs two Saturdays in a row - things are looking up

Play offs - I said several weeks ago that if we won this series of home games we would have every chance of 6th place and I still think we have - 68 points could well be enough this year which is 8 wins from 12 for us. If we beat QPR we are in with a real chance. Why anyone would not want promotion defeats me. That would give us money to hold on to our better players and sign the likes of Khiz and Griffin.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Mar 2010 20:07

I'm not being negative, im really enjoying going to games again and have said so for a few weeks now. But I think a bit of perspective is needed. Take it for what it is, we are playing with little pressure, some good young HOMEGROWN players in our side and we are playing some really decent stuff at times under an honest, hard working classy manager. I do not expect us to get near the playoffs but im delighted with having no expectations and im delighted BMD is steering us positively for next season. Just like BMD im taking each game as it comes for the remainder of the season. My only worry is 3/4 of our defenders are on loan and we may have to build the back line again for next seasons play-off push.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 13 Mar 2010 20:11

Thought R-Bert & B-How were really good today, J-Tab also.

B-Mac must be well pleased with how things are going.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 13 Mar 2010 20:13

although i realistically think we have absolutely no chance of the play offs, our season is mirroring Palace back in 2004 (i think) when they were 2nd bottom and won almost every game after xmas under Dowie.

You never know.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 13 Mar 2010 20:23

A comfortable result with Bristol City offering very little to the game.

The downside was that we continued to create chance after chance yet only scored 2 and one of those was from the penalty spot.

I thought Kebe was a bit wasted on the left wing after his recent superb performances on the right.

Great team performance with Ryan Bertand and Jay Tabb standing out.
Last edited by The Real Sandhurst Royal on 13 Mar 2010 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 13 Mar 2010 20:26

Howard was outstanding in the middle today I thought.....and Bertrand was excellent at LB. McAnuff looks much fresher now as well.

Keep it going Reading.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 Mar 2010 20:27

soggy biscuit Thought R-Bert & B-How were really good today, J-Tab also.

B-Mac must be well pleased with how things are going.

Agree with this. I'd actually give MOTM to Brian Howard who was superb first half, albeit fading a little in the second when the also excellent Jay Tabb came to the fore. Well done to both those players.

Bertrand also had a good one, although I didn't think the recent golden boys - Shane and Jimmy - had their best games.

Sig was an odd one - class first half then faded sig-nificantly. Might have had a hatrick.

Overall, easy win. Bristol didn't offer a lot and i'm certain we'll finish above them.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 13 Mar 2010 20:30

FiNeRaIn I'm not being negative, im really enjoying going to games again and have said so for a few weeks now. But I think a bit of perspective is needed. Take it for what it is, we are playing with little pressure, some good young HOMEGROWN players in our side and we are playing some really decent stuff at times under an honest, hard working classy manager. I do not expect us to get near the playoffs but im delighted with having no expectations and im delighted BMD is steering us positively for next season. Just like BMD im taking each game as it comes for the remainder of the season. My only worry is 3/4 of our defenders are on loan and we may have to build the back line again for next seasons play-off push.

Tottaly agree with everything you say. It's great to turn up with realistic expectations of seeing a good side give everything. The only hope I have is that if (when) our loanees return, we can get some others in of similar class. Bertie was really top drawer today. We didn't miss Griffin too much for one game, but would struggle over a longer period.

It's a close call for me between Tabb and Howard for MOTM. Kebe, Long and Mills were similarly excellent throughout. Sig looked finished in the second half and maybe needs a little rest. Jobi not as sharp as he can be but eager and committed. No one was poor.

But do we have a bit of a problem with the first fifteen of the second half?

rotherwick_royal

by rotherwick_royal » 13 Mar 2010 20:32

FiNeRaIn we have WBA, Newcastle, Cardiff, Middlesbrough and Leicester all to come who are in and around playoff places and won't be easy games.

But they are exactly the kind of games we DO need to make up ground on those teams. I'm not saying we'll make it but I really believe anything's possible in this division. It wouldn't be the first time a team has come from nowhere to get promotion.

Having said that, I'd stake my house on relegation if we did go up.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 Mar 2010 20:34

Agreed.

For me, bertrand has no ceiling on how high he could reach. He needs to learn a bit and does make a few mistakes, but with experience that will stop. Technically he is absolutely class. Great attitude too which is why I think we'll be seeing him in an England shirt in a few years.

Unfortunately, not a chance in hell he'll be here next season.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 13 Mar 2010 20:44

There manager is obviously deluded then as he thinks we could finish third.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Mar 2010 21:00

andrew1957 Near but not quite............

Fed - 6 - not a lot to do again
Bertrand - 8 superb today both in defense and attack...my MOM
Ingi - 7 - don't remember him doing a great deal but what he had to do he did well...erm very well
Mills - 8 - fast turning into the rock at the centre of defense
Gunnar - 7 - a few hairy moments but he has been superb for us time and again
Kebe - 7 - felt a bit sorry for him as he did not look quite as effective on the left - but still a good performance
Howard - 7 - very good today
Tabb - 8 - another excellent performance (only eclipsed by Berty)
Sig - 9 - first half - 5 second half - a definite game of two halves for him.....yes.... just as well we were two goals up (not a goal or two down) when he went for the glory .....overall, despite the goals a 6
McAnuff - 7 - Welcome back
Long - 8 - tremendous display as lone striker - if he had been more clinical in front of goal would definitely have been my MOTM

McD - 10 - he seems to do no wrong

Ref- 9 - two good refs two Saturdays in a row - things are looking up
Last edited by AthleticoSpizz on 13 Mar 2010 21:02, edited 2 times in total.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 13 Mar 2010 21:01

PieEater I can't understand how Bristol are above us.

The league started in August, not the end of January.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 13 Mar 2010 21:01

FiNeRaIn Agreed.

For me, bertrand has no ceiling on how high he could reach. He needs to learn a bit and does make a few mistakes, but with experience that will stop. Technically he is absolutely class. Great attitude too which is why I think we'll be seeing him in an England shirt in a few years.

Unfortunately, not a chance in hell he'll be here next season.

Don't agree on Bertrand.
I thought he showed in the Villa game that he is a long way off being a Premiership defender and miles away from being a Chelsea first-teamer.
Today I thought he played very well and I think there is a real chance that we could get him at least for a further season on loan if not as a full transfer.
I really don't see a Premiership side coming in for him unless it is one of those that gets promoted.

As for today's game I would like to agree with those that said it was a pleasure to be watching us these days-my only ongoing worry is Ivar who looks more and more uncomfortable on the pitch,the older he gets whereas most oldies tend to become more calm.

I don't think we will go up this season but what a nice change to be looking upwards.
If we did go up I hope we would be looking at players better than Griffin and Kish as these aren't good enough to get in lower Prem sides now so would they be much cop in the Prem with us?
Having said that I expect we would do a Burnley and hardly sign anybody thus committing Premiership suicide so perhaps we just have to "know our place" and consolidate as a Championship side in the vague hope that all of the jigsaw pieces will fall into place as it did in the 106 season.

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 13 Mar 2010 21:07

Next 4 games are key, but I think we can get points from ALL of them (ok, not 12 points, but maybe 6 or more). Leicester, WBA and Boro will show us how far we've come as they are all play-off or promotion contenders (ok, so Boro are a long shot, but Boro away will be tricky for us). The QPR game I think will dictate whether we have to look over our shoulders or keep looking up the table (47 points would put us within touching distance of safety - 52 points I think will definitely keep us up).