play-offs?

567 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: play-offs?

by Arch » 14 Mar 2010 19:25

facaldaqui
themadstad Many teams are in better positions. Blackpool and Coventry with Coventry starting a decent run of form. Middlesbrough also showing signs of picking up more points then there's QPR who were looking good value before the Magilton episode and will revert under Warnock! We have to play them all yet except Blackpool and they won't be easy at all. Defeat on Tuesday night for us, that's going to get QPR going.

Donny are another rising team. Then there's Preston, who seem to be waking up.

And Reading, don't forget about them. They're on a great run of form.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 19:26

themadstad Many teams are in better positions. Blackpool and Coventry with Coventry starting a decent run of form. Middlesbrough also showing signs of picking up more points then there's QPR who were looking good value before the Magilton episode and will revert under Warnock! We have to play them all yet except Blackpool and they won't be easy at all. Defeat on Tuesday night for us, that's going to get QPR going.

If we win our games in hand these teams are most definitely not in better positions than us.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2010 19:51

PEARCEY
oiht A few figures to contemplate. The average points total required to finish 6th is 74, that means we can only drop 6 more points till the end of the season. So that's 2 defeats or 3 draws and we must win all the others! It's very unlikely but I'm in the anything is possible camp and won't give up on it till it's a mathematical certainty. I hope the players feel the same way.

As for whether or not we want promotion this season, or next, or the season after, you can't choose like that! IF it happens you have you give it your best shot, I really can't understand anyone who says they don't want promotion, I'm sure the players and club do.

Forget about 74 points. Its a very strange division this time around. The likes of Coventry and Middlesboro are just outside the play-off positions despite winning as many as they have lost. You wait and see how many points it takes to finish 6th...it won't be close to 74

STALK. Unless everyone goes on a great run.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 14 Mar 2010 20:12

Actually it only needs one team to go on a great run. For 74 points: Cardiff 2 points per game, everyone else at least 2.4 points per game.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Mar 2010 20:27

PEARCEY

If we win our games in hand these teams are most definitely not in better positions than us.

Blackpool will still be ahead of us on GD even if we do win our two games in hand.

Maquisard

by Maquisard » 14 Mar 2010 20:33

We might win each game by 6 goals, which would help our goal difference :)

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 20:37

Platypuss
PEARCEY

Blackpool will still be ahead of us on GD even if we do win our two games in hand.

Its pretty marginal though isn't it.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 14 Mar 2010 20:41

PEARCEY
Platypuss
PEARCEY If we win our games in hand these teams are most definitely not in better positions than us.

Its pretty marginal though isn't it.

Indeed. So not "most definitely" wouldn't you say?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Mar 2010 20:42

I've missed your pickyness Playtpuss.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 20:45

Depends Platypussy. We could have two heavy wins. Either way we are level on points with them if we win our games in hand and with the momentum which they wouldn't have so I'll stick by what I posted thanks.
Last edited by PEARCEY on 14 Mar 2010 20:50, edited 1 time in total.

themadstad

by themadstad » 14 Mar 2010 20:50

I will be surprised if we win the games in hand though.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 20:55

themadstad I will be surprised if we win the games in hand though.

I'd certainly prefer to have the points in the bag for sure. However what I and probably you and others don't know is what run-ins the teams above us have until the end of the season. Its also true to say that all teams as high up but not including Blackpool have lost as many as they have won this season which suggests none of them are anything special. Blackpool have won 1 game more than they have lost yet are right in the thick of the play-off picture. Thats why its all to play for and all about 6th place. Its still Cardiff's to lose but given their current plight they are not in any great shape.

EDIT Coventry have also won one more game than they have lost.
Last edited by PEARCEY on 14 Mar 2010 22:05, edited 1 time in total.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 14 Mar 2010 20:58

PEARCEY Depends Platypussy. We could have two heavy wins. Either way we are level on points with them if we win our games in hand and with the momentum which they wouldn't have so I'll stick by what I posted thanks.

That's the spirit, Pearcey. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 14 Mar 2010 21:00

also factor in the perrenial bottlers (Cardiff), simple maths and Reading right now

Unlikely isn't quite so unlikely all of a sudden

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 21:08

Platypuss
PEARCEY Depends Platypussy. We could have two heavy wins. Either way we are level on points with them if we win our games in hand and with the momentum which they wouldn't have so I'll stick by what I posted thanks.

That's the spirit, Pearcey. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

Not really. The simple facts would show we would be level on points with a team miles ahead of us two months ago. Feel free to point-score on the goal difference but it strikes me that you are being pedantic for the sake of it.

Halifax 4-1

by Halifax 4-1 » 14 Mar 2010 21:11

Actually it only needs one team to go on a great run. For 74 points: Cardiff 2 points per game, everyone else at least 2.4 points per game.

Cardiff could yet go into administration to fend off the tax man and have 10 points deducted.

We have 2 games in hand on 7th and 8th places which if won would put us level on 50 points. A big ask but then we would only need to be one point better in the last 10 games.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings!!!

themadstad

by themadstad » 14 Mar 2010 21:16

First things first we need to avoid losing to QPR and that's not going to be an easy task by any means. And should we somehow actually beat QPR then that'll be another team we go above. That's the direction we need to go in. Lose to QPR then we may fall again, if Derby and Ipswich win.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 21:17

Halifax 4-1

Cardiff could yet go into administration to fend off the tax man and have 10 points deducted.

We have 2 games in hand on 7th and 8th places which if won would put us level on 50 points. A big ask but then we would only need to be one point better in the last 10 games.

It ain't over till the fat lady sings!!!

Thats the point.
Its a very odd season and one that I cannot ever remember happening before in that with just 12 games to go we could end up in one of three different divisions next season. Very odd.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 Mar 2010 21:20

themadstad First things first we need to avoid losing to QPR and that's not going to be an easy task by any means. And should we somehow actually beat QPR then that'll be another team we go above. That's the direction we need to go in. Lose to QPR then we may fall again, if Derby and Ipswich win.

Of course. To have any kind of play-off chance we have to beat QPR. We would then be closing in on relegation safety. QPR will be tough but our home form is very strong at the moment although they are doing well under Warnock. Tough game but hopefully one we can edge. If we lose then its looking over the shoulder time. It could still go one of three ways for us this season. The odds are probably on ending up mid-table but our current form is encouraging.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 14 Mar 2010 21:32

Since our "week off" before Villa, QPR as we have been in the midst of a busy run of four games played over a week and a half (games played by both in the last midweek and the one upcoming, in other words)

Always preferable to be the home side, but particularly so for an encounter of the kind, I'm inclined to think

567 posts