Matt Mills

708 posts
BobKnows

Re: Matt Mills

by BobKnows » 17 Mar 2010 11:40

Storm in a oxf*rd teacup.

But let's just hope the same morons who booed him (for whatever reason - after all don't give if you can't take) don't now "take against" him. He is a developing into a great defender and we really don't need a bunch of grown men acting like kids forcing out the "sensitive" soul :lol: that Matt Mills clearly is.

BobKnows

by BobKnows » 17 Mar 2010 11:43

SpaceCruiser I've started to hate the East Stand, which is why I've moved to the North Stand. I was high up in the North Stand and I saw a lot of arm waving from fans in the middle lower section of the East Stand before Mills made the gesture. I thought that it was a bit of a moronic behaviour from those in the East Stand.

For years we have had a group of people who are so ready to boo players like Andy Hughes, Keith Jones and Jimmy kebe. I think those people are the usual lot who used to stand on the Tilehurst End at Elm Park.

It is all about the North Stand 8) Spotted you yesterday BTW :?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Mar 2010 11:44

3 veesinarow
Wycombe Royal
3 veesinarow Anyone who is upset and says the behaviour of Mills was unacceptable and outrageous to anyone with a kid at the game REALLY does need to look at themselves as they subject their kid to far worse forms of human behaviour every time their plonk their kid down in a seat at a football game.

That is more an example of what is wrong with the game.

Are you saying that kids should be allowed to have the opportunity to watch our national sport just because of a few morons who can't express themselves without swearing?

Kids should be able to go to football and that should not have to listen to yooofs and middle aged men who need to grow up shouting expletives everytime a pass is misplaced.

Nope, you're seeing something that isn't there. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't go - far from it. I was three when I was first taken onto the Southbank and 43 years later, the week-in, week-out experience of sitting amongst foul-mouthed apes hasn't damaged me enough to make me not want to go. Kids SHOULD be able to not have to listen to all that, I'm just making the point that far, far, far worse things are said and done in the stands every week than what Mills has done on the pitch.
How does anyone selectively say they think Mills has set a bad example to poor little kiddies when they are subjected to the moronic behaviour from people stood/sat three feet away from them and therefore much more likely to make inroads on impressionable young minds?

I haven't said that, others might. And as for fans in the crowd yes that is an issue. Personally I will be informing customer services of one particular culprit who sits near me. Every game he shouts abuse and I have had enough. I want to bring my daughter to matches but I won't do whilst he is there shouting abuse every few minutes.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 17 Mar 2010 11:45

Big deal - Matt Mills leaves the pitch in a rush after the final whistle..... If I had £1 for every Reading fan who left in a rush before the final whistle I'd be quids in.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 17 Mar 2010 11:48

I can't believe how many people on here are defending Mills' actions.

Whatever provocation he received (and my take on it from Y24 was that he just got a few groans, which escalated to boos after the gesture) you can't give your own fans the finger before storming off and shoving the assistant manager out of the way. It wasn't passionate, it was arrogant and unproffesional.

What next? I'd like to see him fined, make a genuine apology and then for the fans to forget it and get behind him and the team.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Mar 2010 11:51

BobKnows
SpaceCruiser I've started to hate the East Stand, which is why I've moved to the North Stand. I was high up in the North Stand and I saw a lot of arm waving from fans in the middle lower section of the East Stand before Mills made the gesture. I thought that it was a bit of a moronic behaviour from those in the East Stand.

For years we have had a group of people who are so ready to boo players like Andy Hughes, Keith Jones and Jimmy kebe. I think those people are the usual lot who used to stand on the Tilehurst End at Elm Park.

It is all about the North Stand 8) Spotted you yesterday BTW :?

Did you? :?

Well, I might have spotted you if I did know what you looked like. ;)

The funny thing is I was bumping into people most of the evening. I bumped into my brother in town, he looked at me suspiciously before asking me what I was doing in Reading. He didn't know I was going to the football. Then I bumped into two old primary school friends just before kick off and discovered that my boss' boss was sitting in the row behind me!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Mar 2010 11:53

LOL! I bet your shoulders didn't stop shrugging all night Spacey.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 17 Mar 2010 11:55

Royal Lady Oh get over yourself Woodcote - you said yourself you weren't even going to last night's game.

I think there is confusion over whether people were saying "boo" or "hoof" and tbh it can be difficult to ascertain between the two sometimes.

Whatever the circumstances, I hardly think Bertrand, or any other player, getting involved with what they think, is going to help matters. It needs to die a death really.

If it turns out he muddled up the calls of "hoof" with boos it's even more lollable!

In all probability, he will get fined and make an apology without any demands from anyone to do so.

under the tin

by under the tin » 17 Mar 2010 11:55

[quote="Still Hate Futcher!"]I can't believe how many people on here are defending Mills' actions.

That's because some people are of the mindset that goes "If he's wearing the right coloured shirt, then he can do no wrong, and his sh!t doesn't stink"

You know, the kind of people who go to Party conferences, and give the leader a standing ovation for reading out the local phone book.

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 17 Mar 2010 11:56

Barry the bird boggler He should be disciplined by the club, apologise to everyone and then it should all be forgotten.

Doesn't look like McD agrees with you (http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1996415,00.html):
OS "He's got a little bit frustrated, we don't want to see that but toward the end they shouted his name and I was pleased with that."

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 17 Mar 2010 12:03

Murts-is-Lej
Barry the bird boggler He should be disciplined by the club, apologise to everyone and then it should all be forgotten.

Doesn't look like McD agrees with you (http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~1996415,00.html):
OS "He's got a little bit frustrated, we don't want to see that but toward the end they shouted his name and I was pleased with that."

To be fair McDermott is always going to the do the sensible thing (which I agree with) and won't condemn either the fans nor the player. He'll pass it off as being water under the bridge and will rightfully turn his and the team's attentions to our game at the weekend.

Anyone expecting a knee-jerk reaction from the man obviously know nothing about him.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Mar 2010 12:11

Thomas L'Heureux
Murts-is-Lej

To be fair McDermott is always going to the do the sensible thing (which I agree with) and won't condemn either the fans nor the player. He'll pass it off as being water under the bridge and will rightfully turn his and the team's attentions to our game at the weekend.

Anyone expecting a knee-jerk reaction from the man obviously know nothing about him.

'greed, that's the right thing to do, get on with it. Those fans calling for punishment and/or apology should get over it and look to the next game.

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 17 Mar 2010 12:20

SpaceCruiser 'greed, that's the right thing to do, get on with it. Those fans calling for punishment and/or apology should get over it and look to the next game.

Key thing, really, is what's in Mills' mind - I'm guessing he's professional (thick-skinned?) enough to have forgotten it ever happened by the time he woke up this morning. Let's just hope our "fans" don't remind him...

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 17 Mar 2010 12:24

SpaceCruiser The funny thing is I was bumping into people most of the evening. I bumped into my brother in town, ......................... Then I bumped into two old primary school friends just before kick off..............
You should've gone to SpecSavers

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Mar 2010 12:26

It was just a series of misunderstandings. Mills was probably only trying to do what McDermott had told him to, and the fact he was getting nowhere with it and that the team were being frustrated by QPR probably got him wound up. Then he hears sounds from the stand that he interprets as personal booing but which were just a reaction to that repeated choice of ball--this is the crowd's way of saying, "We're fed up with this now, try something else". So he reacts: and then some people really do boo him because they think he's having a go at the whole crowd. Finally, he dashes off because he is wound up. He'll probably be fine today, and I doubt he'll start hating the whole club because of it.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 17 Mar 2010 12:34

Murts-is-Lej

The site really needs a proof reader with a smidgin of grammar!

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 17 Mar 2010 12:35

Thomas L'Heureux
Murts-is-Lej

That's football managers in general. They have so much media training it makes interviews so dull these days.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Mar 2010 12:36

Wycombe Royal
3 veesinarow Anyone who is upset and says the behaviour of Mills was unacceptable and outrageous to anyone with a kid at the game REALLY does need to look at themselves as they subject their kid to far worse forms of human behaviour every time their plonk their kid down in a seat at a football game.

That is more an example of what is wrong with the game.

Are you saying that kids should be allowed to have the opportunity to watch our national sport just because of a few morons who can't express themselves without swearing?

Kids should be able to go to football and that should not have to listen to yooofs and middle aged men who need to grow up shouting expletives everytime a pass is misplaced.

no, football should be able to continue in the same manner as always without having to pander to kids and women.
if you dont like it dont go, or sit in the west stand, its simple.

i guarantee theyve all heard and said worse at school.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 17 Mar 2010 12:37

I was sat high up in Y25.

As has been said many times, there were groans not boos directed at him after he had hit the millionth long ball to nobody....the Booing started after the finger, and rightly so. Then it stopped fairly quickly. Appropriate response i thought. Or would you have prefered us all to give him a round of applause?

Stop slagging off the East Stand - im sure you are the same people who complain about a lack of atmosphere at games etc etc. At least we sing and make some noise, if we all sat there watching the game from the towering moral heights you all do then it would be utter silence.

The East stand is the heart of the club.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Mar 2010 12:40

Focher
When Hicks went up...
Focher players are paid to take the plaudits, they are also paid to take stick (which i dont give and dont agree with)

To raise the middle finger is totally out of order, and he deserved the stick after doing it.

It's this type of irrational argument that is the reason behind incidents like tonight. Matt Mills is paid to play football. He is not paid to take plaudits or to take stick but rather they are the potential benefits, or drawbacks, of his job.

its not irrational, its a responsibility that comes with the job, like any other job.

Bullshit. someone gives me abuse in my job I set them straight. Continue and they don't speak to me anymore. No one is paid to take abuse.

708 posts