Credit to Madejski and Hammond

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Credit to Madejski and Hammond

by Pseud O'Nym » 17 Mar 2010 23:03

Dirk Gently
Harpers So Solid Crew
Dirk Gently Hammond didn't terminate their contracts on a whim at the end of the season - he just happened to be the one holding the reins when it happened.

They don't just start talking about contracts the day before they are due to expire, you know. The fact that there'd been no contract negotiations with those players in the previous 4-5 months means everyone knew that they weren't going to be renewed, and that was down to SC.

Disagree, had we gone up then some would have been renewed, but the whole club were waiting to see which division we were to be playing in. Also there may well have been negotiaions, Gunnar got an extra year, so I guess he negotiated, perhaps Marcus was miffed that he was being offered Champpionship wages and thought he derserved more, had he stayed he did not deserve more, IMHO

Murts certainly had no doubts whatsoever that he'd not be renewed.

As did Hahnemann. Here, for about the tenth time of posting, is him saying as much: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/reading/8052962.stm

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 17 Mar 2010 23:22

Royal_Delight
But I am impressed at the appointment of McDermott and the results so far. Whether Madejski was taking a gamble on McD or he was just going for the "cheap" option I will never know. But if he was taking a gamble, kudos to him for the appointment. I feel I own him and Hammond an apology. Well done Mr Mad and Hammond, you have gave the 'ding' fans and I something to hope for in the seasons to come.

Mr Mad shows why he is a successful businessman. The whole club is being built on continuity. BR unfortunately wasn't up to the job as manager. McD most likely was inline of succession at some point. Just not so early.

Nobby

by Nobby » 17 Mar 2010 23:37

This is a great thread.

The volatile idiots who wanted everyone at the club hanged just a few weeks ago, are now praising the very same people.

And the ones who just want to be angry are still ranting and resenting our failure to dominate Europe.

If we were relegated we would at least get rid of all you fickle moaners. If we are going to prosper then I guess we just have to get used to your knee-jerk hissy fits every time there is a bad result.

The Matt Mills booing/cheering nonsense illustrated how you just can't make your minds up.

Why not shut up moaning about the club. Then you might start helping.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Mar 2010 23:40

Ermmm, I think if you look back you'll find some people have been consistently consistent.

Upper West?!?

by Upper West?!? » 18 Mar 2010 09:09

Their next test is coming very soon. The parachute payments end this summer, and there will be inquiries from other clubs to buy our better players. SJM will also have to decide if he'll pay what it takes to keep Bertrand, Griffin and that CB whos name I can't spell.

Will SJM cut his cloth, let the loan players go, and take the money for Mills, Siggy and Long? If he does, then even BMcD will struggle to keep Reading up next year with Norwich, Leeds and Charlton (or God forbid, Swindon) coming up from League 1.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 18 Mar 2010 09:12

yeah, never mind looking on the bright-side eh, we're doomed next season instead :|

as for the original post, excellent work

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 18 Mar 2010 09:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup Yep credit to Madejski/Hammond/The Board... but only for making the best of a horrific job.

Yes we can be glad about the sacking of Rodgers and what so far looks like a fantastic appointment to take his place. Credit is definitely due and I applaud them for it.

But that's where it stops because at the end of the day, looking at the big picture we still blew the chance to consolidate in the premiership and allowed a freefall, still decided to go for Rodgers (instead of plenty of other worthy candidates including McD) and are simply celebrating the fact that we didn't totally balls it up.

So yeah, big hurray for the little we can cheer about.

McD wasn't an option last summer, according to the man himself.

I think you are way too dramatic in your assessment to be honest. If we went into 'freefall' you leave yourself nowhere to go when talking about Leeds, Southampton, Norwich, Charlton and others.

We got relegated (by the slimmest of margins), we missed out on a return straight back (by the slimmest of margins) and even blew the playoffs largely due to a moment of madness by one person. We've then had a horror half season followed by 3 months on a par with the 106 season.... although you can obvioulsy try and make things seem as bad as you possibly can if you prefer !!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Mar 2010 11:43

Lower West
Royal_Delight
But I am impressed at the appointment of McDermott and the results so far. Whether Madejski was taking a gamble on McD or he was just going for the "cheap" option I will never know. But if he was taking a gamble, kudos to him for the appointment. I feel I own him and Hammond an apology. Well done Mr Mad and Hammond, you have gave the 'ding' fans and I something to hope for in the seasons to come.

Mr Mad shows why he is a successful businessman. The whole club is being built on continuity. BR unfortunately wasn't up to the job as manager. McD most likely was inline of succession at some point. Just not so early.

You talk about continuity but this is something that SJM etc just do not do. Look over the years he has been in charge. How many managers have been appointed from within the ranks? FWIW, I believe that his success at the club has been more through luck than judgement. The sooner people accept that there is more than one opinion then a much better place this will be.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 18 Mar 2010 11:51

Upper West?!? Their next test is coming very soon. The parachute payments end this summer, and there will be inquiries from other clubs to buy our better players. SJM will also have to decide if he'll pay what it takes to keep Bertrand, Griffin and that CB whos name I can't spell.

Will SJM cut his cloth, let the loan players go, and take the money for Mills, Siggy and Long? If he does, then even BMcD will struggle to keep Reading up next year with Norwich, Leeds and Charlton (or God forbid, Swindon) coming up from League 1.

No chance of keeping Bertrand, even if Chelsea were willing to sell we could not afford the transfer fee

Griffin's out of contract in the summer? Given that may have a chance of signing him if he's happy to take lower wages. However he may prefer to stay up north if the chances arise.

Khizanishvili, unknown, obvioiusly no chance if there's premier interest, if there isn't then its down to how much playing catch up in the Championship will effect his chances at international level.

More likely there will be a little more rebuilding and some "better" faces from Divsions 3/4/5 and more loans from the Premiership will see us throufgh next season. Perhaps we may sacrifice one of our "stars" and use the money to bring in 2 or 3 faces.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 18 Mar 2010 11:52

Terminal Boardom
Lower West
Royal_Delight

You talk about continuity but this is something that SJM etc just do not do. Look over the years he has been in charge. How many managers have been appointed from within the ranks? FWIW, I believe that his success at the club has been more through luck than judgement. The sooner people accept that there is more than one opinion then a much better place this will be.

We've effectively made 4 appointments from within the ranks. Quinn/Gooding, Pardew, Rodgers and McDermott. I'd be surprised if many clubs can match that.
And if what SJM has achieved has been down to luck I'd suggest that I'd rather have a lucky chairman than an unlucky one ! I'd agree that luck plays it's part in almost any situation but to be consistently lucky seems unlikely.
Whatever, let's hope the luck holds out for another 20 years !!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Mar 2010 11:59

Pardew and Rodgers had left the club. In BR's case, quite a few years back. But if you want to use that as your arguement then I suppose that it is fine. The one decent appointment that went better than expected was SSC. And SJM bottled it when we got to the prem. But that is all history. I will give it a couple of defeats before the pendulum swings back and Frank Fickle changes tack AGAIN!

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 18 Mar 2010 12:08

Terminal Boardom Pardew and Rodgers had left the club. In BR's case, quite a few years back. But if you want to use that as your arguement then I suppose that it is fine. The one decent appointment that went better than expected was SSC. And SJM bottled it when we got to the prem. But that is all history. I will give it a couple of defeats before the pendulum swings back and Frank Fickle changes tack AGAIN!

Pardew had left and come back.

Rodgers had spent years at the club and that was a key factor in him getting the job.

It's not an 'argument', just simple facts.

If you want to ignore them to bolster a weak case then I suppose that's fine.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Mar 2010 12:20

Terminal Boardom
Lower West
Royal_Delight

Yeah, it's total luck that Madejski has appointed Pardew, Coppell & McDermott as managers and Hammond as DoF who have all shown they are extremely good at their job whilst here. No one gets it right every time, and nearly everyone was taken in by Rodgers talk. One bad manager in ten years is a sign of excellent chairmanship. Ask QPR. Or Saints.

Continuity isn't just about the top man. Pardew was an internal appointment. Coppell kept all Pardew's staff. Hammond was an internal appointment. McDermott was an internal appointment. Jim & Mick were internal appointments.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Mar 2010 12:24

Terminal Boardom Pardew and Rodgers had left the club. In BR's case, quite a few years back. But if you want to use that as your arguement then I suppose that it is fine. The one decent appointment that went better than expected was SSC. And SJM bottled it when we got to the prem. But that is all history. I will give it a couple of defeats before the pendulum swings back and Frank Fickle changes tack AGAIN!

For all that I find him irritating Sun Tzu certainly isn't fickle. Nor am I, nor is Dirk, or in fact most of those actually giving Madj and Hammy credit on this thread.

Sadly it seems neither are you. You just moan all the time.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 Mar 2010 12:34

I hate talks of fickle. Read every post I've made, I've never called for Madejski's head or been too critical of him. I've admitted that he's mistakes and I'll still say that now, but I've always held he's a good chairman. I imagine that applies for most posters showing their support on here.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 18 Mar 2010 12:52

Ian Royal

For all that I find him irritating Sun Tzu certainly isn't fickle. Nor am I, nor is Dirk, or in fact most of those actually giving Madj and Hammy credit on this thread.

Sadly it seems neither are you. You just moan all the time.

TBF, I have had many a good discussion with ST on here and he is one of the more intelligent posters. I just don't agree with him. And not once did I call anyone specifically fickle. It was a generalisation. But there are a hell of a lot of fickle minded people out there who sway one way one minute and then at the blink of an eye they sway the other. If the cap fits...

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 18 Mar 2010 13:06

As usual, +1 to Arch's post.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Mar 2010 13:21

rabidbee As usual, +1 to Arch's post.

Get offa here!

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 18 Mar 2010 13:25

Archie's penalty
rabidbee As usual, +1 to Arch's post.

Get offa here!

You're welcome to claim that charmless, unctuous sermon as your own. I'm embarrassed by it, actually.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 18 Mar 2010 13:37

Ok twas me then.