Refwatch: Reading v West Bromich Albion

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Refwatch: Reading v West Bromich Albion

by Sarah Star » 27 Mar 2010 20:54

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
handbags_harris You know something's wrong when you get angry just because a particular ref is taking charge of a match :|

to be honest, when was the last time you saw who the ref was and thought "oh good - he does the job pretty well"?

Mike Dean when we played Villa in the Cup. He was excellent too.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 27 Mar 2010 20:56

Some guy we had within the last few weeks did an excellent job and was roundly praised in the applicable REFWATCH! thread post match

Can't remember the fella's gawddam name of course, but it's on the record

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Mar 2010 20:58

Mr A's cameo on BBCB tonight included him explaining how he questioned the refs/linos assessors way oop high in the West Stand (about the foul throw etc).....and them (the assessors) looking very sheepish.

Follow it through Mr A!

We all want answers...and it's about time that we deserved them

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 27 Mar 2010 21:00

Royal Lady The only ref I ever liked was Roger thingy with the greying hair, always had a smile on his face - always let the game flow - he's so memorable I've forgotten his surname. :oops:

Roger Milford

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 27 Mar 2010 21:03

Franchise FC
Royal Lady The only ref I ever liked was Roger thingy with the greying hair, always had a smile on his face - always let the game flow - he's so memorable I've forgotten his surname. :oops:

Roger Milford

That's the one! Seemed like a lovely bloke - far removed from most refs.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Mar 2010 23:34

Lino running the line on the West side didn't have any bottle, biggest exaple being towards the end of the game whilst the ref was sorting out the players in the middle the West Brom number 3 was a few feet from the lino him f'ing and blinding at either him or the West Stand directly behind him before gobbin in a rage.

Didn't even wave his flag for the ref to take action.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Mar 2010 08:20

And that throw in - how on earth can the pair of them not be watching when a player takes a throw in. Dreadful officials, simply dreadful.

No feet in contact with ground, legal throw in the wacky world of D'Urso

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 28 Mar 2010 08:42

Royal Lady
Franchise FC

Roger Milford

That's the one! Seemed like a lovely bloke - far removed from most refs.

According to http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 503413.ece

"Milford retired from refereeing... but still works as an assessor."

So perhaps he was there at the match... although that article is from a few years ago.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 28 Mar 2010 08:44

RoyalChicagoFC Some guy we had within the last few weeks did an excellent job and was roundly praised in the applicable REFWATCH! thread post match

Can't remember the fella's gawddam name of course, but it's on the record

Paul Taylor, I think.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 28 Mar 2010 12:37

^ Indeed, or so it would appear --thank you very much

A search of the REFWATCH! from that Bristol City match turns up a note of praise for Mr Taylor from 'Nobber The Real Sandhurst Royal, who cites the performance as one of three good ones on the spin @ home; they are:

Mike ("Chicken Almond") Dean (home to Aston Villa, FA Cup Sixth Round on Sunday 7th March)

Kevin ("If Loving You Is Wrong, I Don't Want To Be") Wright (home to Derby County on Wednesday 10th March); and

The aforementioned Paul ("The Power") Taylor (home to Bristol City on Saturday 13th March)

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 28 Mar 2010 13:14

handbags_harris You know something's wrong when you get angry just because a particular ref is taking charge of a match :|

to be honest, when was the last time you saw who the ref was and thought "oh good - he does the job pretty well"?

Pierluigi Collina, although unfortunately not involved with an RFC game.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Mar 2010 14:51

Ever more stupid is football's rule that refs have to retire at 47, therefore any good ones get pushed out.

How about saying those that are consistently cr*p get pushed out whatever the age they are whereas if you're good you can stay on the list as long as you want providing you pass the physicals.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 28 Mar 2010 16:41

Excellent shout B --it's age discrimination, pure and simple (and I'd thought the age was 50; 47 is an absolute outrage)

So long as they're up to the physical demands and sensory requirements and check out okay medically, there's no excuse for putting these chaps out to pasture if they remain capable of competently officiating full matches on a consistent basis

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 28 Mar 2010 17:01

Usual crap from Durso.

But you just had to laugh at abuse giving to the east stand linesman.

about half a dozen offside calls in the 2nd half, all of which were clear as day correct decisions. "you dont know what youre doing was the cry. Not for the 1st time, its our support that didnt have a clue.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 28 Mar 2010 17:11

Sarah Star

Mike Dean when we played Villa in the Cup. He was excellent too.

There are some excellent referees out there. I have always liked Ray Olivier whenever he's been in charge of a Reading game, so there's one. I am generally pleased when we have Howard Webb as the ref, ditto Mark Halsey. Scott Mathieson is a decent referee, as is Lee Probert. There's five that I have just reeled off the top of my head that I am generally happy to receive as an appointed official.

Mike Dean can just f*ck off though.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 Mar 2010 17:44

Tony Le Mesmer Usual crap from Durso.

about half a dozen offside calls in the 2nd half, all of which were clear as day correct decisions. "you dont know what youre doing was the cry. Not for the 1st time, its our support that didnt have a clue.

i bood more for the fact that he was clearly guessing cos he couldnt see into the sun

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 28 Mar 2010 17:56

Tony Le Mesmer Usual crap from Durso.

about half a dozen offside calls in the 2nd half, all of which were clear as day correct decisions.

Crap remark. The lino was as bad as the ref. Plain and Simple. One or two offside/onsides in our favour mind you. One by about two yards. Unbelievable.
Last edited by Man Friday on 28 Mar 2010 22:28, edited 1 time in total.

The Echo

by The Echo » 28 Mar 2010 18:29

Quite frank Durso was abysmal

Whist I have seen worse performances from a referee down the years Durso's failing and the reason his career has nosedived is that he is essentially a coward. What I would call "a percentage ref". He fails to judge incidents on their individual merits and resorts to the history book of referring in his mind. If Player A win the ball in position X then more often than not it's a foul. Result: Blow whistle and award a freekick. Hope nobody really notices his lack of skill with the whistle or confidence in his ability.

There were countless examples of such 'percentage decisions'. The incident when the defender slipped over under pressure from Long in the penalty box was shocking decision by Durso. Maybe it is this type of cowardly approach to referreing that infuriates players. Durso appears detattched and uninterested in what is actually happening on the pitch. After watching him twice this year I can begin to see the roots of the infamous "Old Trafford Lynching" all those years ago. Players are generally contemptuous of his referring style.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 29 Mar 2010 12:51

handbags_harris Mike Dean can just f*ck off though.

LOL! He'd probably book you for that.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 29 Mar 2010 13:55

Roger Kirkpatrick from the early seventies? Otherwise known as Mr Pickwick. Jumped down from the stands once during a match at Filbert Street and sorted out a ruck in the crowd.