Rodgers on Goals on Sunday today

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Rodgers on Goals on Sunday today

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Apr 2010 13:40

Can't say I miss him. Like the Coppell-esque understated way of managing rather than billybigbollox.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 11 Apr 2010 13:46

SLAMMED He may as well just recorded one interview and played it after every game we lost.

I thought he did

Brendan Rodgers was desperately disappointed after seeing his side 'throw away' three points against <<name of opposition>>

<<reading player>> opened the scoring on xx minutes and we looked odds-on for all three points, but strikes from <<opposition player>> and <<opposition player>> turned the game on its head.

Brendan said afterwards, "I'm very disappointed. For the first hour we did well, our organisation was good, we were a threat and we looked good going forward. We were good value for the lead and I thought we would get stronger.

"But once we went in front we started playing poorly. We're disappointed with the goals we conceded and our game management then was poor. Late on it was a war.

"I said to the players we need to see the game out better. For an hour we were the better side, without being at our best. Once we scored we should be able to pick them off.".

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 11 Apr 2010 13:47

Wimb
MmmMonsterMunch He'll have to take a league 1 job I reckon. Can't see a CCC chairman taking a risk on him at the moment. Very naive to think he can just carry on regardless tinkering with the team week in week out with no thought for the consequences of losing every week.

Sorry but its a results business first & foremost. If he doesn't understand that then he better find a new career.

Think he's probably learned that lesson now to be honest

Spoken to people in the game who know him. Apparently he hasn't learned his lessons, telling everyone he was sacked before his time and he would have achieved the same turn around McD has if he had still been in charge.

Pretty much goes with what he said today.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Apr 2010 13:48

Was a question asked about our turnaround in form, and was it therefore the correct decision in hindsight?

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Apr 2010 13:49

Post above mine answers that question. :lol:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Apr 2010 13:54

I noticed he avoided talking about Reading & preferred to talk about Watford. Funny that!

He is the David Brent of football management no doubt about it.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Apr 2010 13:58

weybridgewanderer
SLAMMED He may as well just recorded one interview and played it after every game we lost.

I thought he did

Brendan Rodgers was desperately disappointed after seeing his side 'throw away' three points against <<name of opposition>>

<<reading player>> opened the scoring on xx minutes and we looked odds-on for all three points, but strikes from <<opposition player>> and <<opposition player>> turned the game on its head.

Brendan said afterwards, "I'm very disappointed. For the first hour we did well, our organisation was good, we were a threat and we looked good going forward. We were good value for the lead and I thought we would get stronger.

"But once we went in front we started playing poorly. We're disappointed with the goals we conceded and our game management then was poor. Late on it was a war.

"I said to the players we need to see the game out better. For an hour we were the better side, without being at our best. Once we scored we should be able to pick them off.".

:lol: :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2010 14:26

Plymouth_Royal
MmmMonsterMunch LOL - can't wait to see what he says. Must be quiet on the job offers front then....

Another reading fan taking a cheap shot at Rodgers....surprise.

There are managers who have left us for dead and not seeing the job through that I can understand our fans having a dig at. McGhee and Pards. But when someone genuinley wants to be here for the long haul and tried to better the club in a way that hasnt been done before, we turn on him like they were guilty of murder. Yes, it didnt work out here and we were looking in a bad mess but I'm not going to start taking cheap shots at him like most of you lot do.

Pardew and McGhee were good managers who achieved something with us. Pardew in particular has never been anything other than complimentary about us since leaving. At least I've never heard him take a cheap shot.

Rodgers was shit, all hype, no delivery and has spent his time since leaving bitching about how he wasn't given a chance to relegate us and how he'd have done something different if he knew he only had a short time to prove himself.

Well if he hadn't been so unspeakably incompetent he'd have got his three years. Worst manager we've had in the last 15 ish years. Worse even than Bullivant and Burns.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 11 Apr 2010 14:41

Ian Royal
Plymouth_Royal
MmmMonsterMunch LOL - can't wait to see what he says. Must be quiet on the job offers front then....

There are managers who have left us for dead and not seeing the job through that I can understand our fans having a dig at. McGhee and Pards. But when someone genuinley wants to be here for the long haul and tried to better the club in a way that hasnt been done before, we turn on him like they were guilty of murder. Yes, it didnt work out here and we were looking in a bad mess but I'm not going to start taking cheap shots at him like most of you lot do.

Pardew and McGhee were good managers who achieved something with us. Pardew in particular has never been anything other than complimentary about us since leaving. At least I've never heard him take a cheap shot.

Rodgers was shit, all hype, no delivery and has spent his time since leaving bitching about how he wasn't given a chance to relegate us and how he'd have done something different if he knew he only had a short time to prove himself.

Well if he hadn't been so unspeakably incompetent he'd have got his three years. Worst manager we've had in the last 15 ish years. Worse even than Bullivant and Burns.

You forgot the bit about him being an arrogant deluded tw@t but other than that I agree!

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 11 Apr 2010 14:43

Ian Royal
Plymouth_Royal

No manager will ever be as bad as Burns

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2010 14:57

It's pretty close, but I still think Rodgers takes the crown.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 11 Apr 2010 15:33

Can't compare Rodger's to Burns. We all know what was going on under Burns. BR may have got things wrong, but he wanted to make a success at things and had the club interests at heart.

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 11 Apr 2010 16:28

Plymouth_Royal

Don't kid yourself. If BR had been a success at RFC do you honestly believe that a young manager such as Buck would turn down the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs or any other top half Premiership club (if they came knocking) to stay at Reading? He would have done a McGhee or Pards no matter how much he loves RFC.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 11 Apr 2010 17:16

Ian Royal
Plymouth_Royal Another reading fan taking a cheap shot at Rodgers....surprise.

Whilst I do agree with a good post (somewhat smugly as I made no secret about hating his appointment)... let's just try not to forget the unprecedented rubbish situation Rodgers was in i.e. following in the footsteps of our greatest ever manager, fans still half expecting promotion straight off, losing an enormous number of key players. Quite different from Burns and Bullivant to be fair. He might've received a little more money for transfers but he had to completely rebuild a team unlike these two.

And also let us not forget that the likes of McGhee and Parj were outright idiots. McGhee not so much... but Parj was just a despicable character after what he did.

In all I'd say I agree with what you say but would conclude with Plymouth Royal's sentiments i.e. yes he was a bad manager but he wasn't an nasty guy, was unlucky, and doesn't deserve anywhere near the treatment of Parj o McGhee.

I'll happily thank him for some very astute purchases and loans - Mills, Jobi, Bertrand, Howard, etc

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 11 Apr 2010 17:50

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 11 Apr 2010 18:54

I thought he spoke well and he DID admit he tried to change things too quick.
He's gone now, people should get off his back and look forward.

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 11 Apr 2010 18:56

That's a great video.

Unfortunately the word that always comes to mind when listening to or watching Brendan is 'insincere'.

There's something very uncomfortable about him, as if he's way out of his league and even he knows it. You almost, just, almost, feel embarrassed for him. Borderline shifty.

Moyes looked suitably repressed. That manager 'code' that wouldn't go against the grain as in the 'closing of ranks' even amongst your lesser brethren. Fair enough, nowt wrong with that.

I just feel if Brendan accepted he might not be all he's been talked up to be and had a little shake-out with the notion of the word 'humble' he might make better use of his talents.

He's not a malicious tosser or an idiot. But he does seem to have some issues with how he perceives himself and the world. What's the contemporary term? Self-deluding, or something.

I hate Sky, but even their bods seemed to be deliberately treading on eggshells, as if they knew they had a 'fragile ego' in the studio for a while.

I even feel vaguely sorry for the geezer now, in some strange way.

Maybe he has a future career in sales, you often see characters like him in that desperate kind of world.

Cookie

by Cookie » 11 Apr 2010 19:28

Cheers Leww, very interesting, can't help feeling the right questions weren't discussed at his interview for the Reading job. :lol:

yappy

by yappy » 11 Apr 2010 19:35

I feel sorry for Rodgers. Having a manager with so much passion for the club really was refreshing, but as he admits I think he tried to change too much too quick (complete overhaul of squad, new method of playing) and got caught out. Lack of managerial experience I guess.

At Watford he took over midway and didn't have much resources, so couldn't really plan for the long term. However he had more resources here and started thinking and building for the long term, something I think Madejski found attractive. I think he has showed at Watford he has the potential to be a decent manager and if he does learn from his mistakes, I still think that potential may be realised.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Apr 2010 20:01

He's a charlatan. He got found out for what he was. At least with FSB and Pards, they achieved success with us. All that the retard with the tank top and big watch has done is give BMcD the opportunity to be successful!