Club must save £4 million

276 posts
Royal1983

Re: Club must save £4 million

by Royal1983 » 29 Apr 2010 08:50

If they are getting shot of under performing players then they need to keep Sig for over performing. Cops was the best manager to come to RFC but at the same time he was also the one who did not buy anyone in, on another note the parachute payments should have stopped last season... I am a cynic and see this as yet another excuse for Madejski to screw the club over and in that sense here comes league 1 next year!!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 08:57

http://thesoccerroom.com/?tag=stephen-hunt

We should have so bought players like Bullard, £80k a week, what a good idea, and unlike us they do not have relegation clauses in players contracts.

Perhaps the way NH arranged the contracts, with relegation clauses was why no one would sign for us when we were in the Prem.

We will never really know tho, will we.

Such a similar scenario as well, overperformed after promotion, they got all excited, we kept our feet on the ground, £55million in debt, and hardly any saleable assets. Administration will surely follow.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 08:58

readingbedding Does anyone think or know that once we were promoted, we could have offered Sidwell what he wanted.
It was about 25 grand a week wasn't it?

We could have done that, but it would have meant paying the likes of Doyle, Harper et all higher wages, I seem to recall on promotion our top earners were on about £18k a week, at least at the outset of the Prem campaign.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 29 Apr 2010 09:04

Dirk Gently
Royal Lady Exactly right Mad Dog's Ghost - because if we're selling off our best players - there's not a hope in hell of us competing with other teams and getting into the Prem.

But that sums up exactly what's wrong with football today.

The teams we're competing with nearly all have some kind of unfair financial advantage.

Newcastle, West Brom & 'Boro, of course, have parachute payments. Cardiff is being run well over their means and are on the verge of financial catastrophe if this Malaysian saviour doesn't deliver. Leicester are being bankrolled by the same sugar-daddy who started off at Portsmouth. Forest are in the same situation with a rich sugar-daddy and so on.....

Until there's a level playing field financially, clubs which are run on a sustainable basis will never be able to compete with those who aren't - who have a sugar-daddy or who just steal from the taxman.

The same thing could easily have been said of Reading as we moved to the Mad Stad or when we were trying to get out of whatever the third tier was called at the time. There is no way we could have progressed without the backing of Mr Mad or signed the likes of Butler, Caskey et al. I remember Wycombe & co moaning at the time that we were basically cheating.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 29 Apr 2010 09:17

Royal1983
on another note the parachute payments should have stopped last season... I am a cynic and see this as yet another excuse for Madejski to screw the club over and in that sense here comes league 1 next year!!

What does this mean ?

Why should the parachute payments have stopped last season and how would that have benefitted us ?

What do you mean when you say it's a chance for JM to 'screw the club over' ? When has he done this previously and how in your strange world is he doing it again ?

And on what basis are we likely to be heading for League 1 next season ? Have you missed the last 4 months entirely ?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Apr 2010 09:30

Once were Biscuitmen I remember Wycombe & co moaning at the time that we were basically cheating.

Me? I don't think so.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Apr 2010 10:16

FiNeRaIn
SpaceCruiser
FiNeRaIn How are we still needing to save

The answer is obvious - we won't have the parachute payments next year, so we're having to budget without that and we're still coming up short.

We should never have been banking on them anyway, we know the length of time we have them for. They aren't a lottery ffs.

kitson 5.5 million, doyle 6.5, hunt 5.5, bikey 3 mill, shorey 3.5 million - my apologies - its actually more than 20 million.

Sorry if I took ages to reply, I didn't get much of a chance yesterday.

You realise that the sales of Kitson and Shorey was the season before. Therefore subtract £9 million from your sums and I think you'll find it's less than £20 million.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 29 Apr 2010 10:22

Actually Spacey, the greatest amount of Kitson's fee was made to us once Stoke survived their first season in the Premiership. So give him back around £3m.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Apr 2010 10:41

Royal1983 If they are getting shot of under performing players then they need to keep Sig for over performing. Cops was the best manager to come to RFC but at the same time he was also the one who did not buy anyone in, on another note the parachute payments should have stopped last season... I am a cynic and see this as yet another excuse for Madejski to screw the club over and in that sense here comes league 1 next year!!

how has he screwed anyone over ffs? especially this club wot he has rebuilt from the ground up

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 29 Apr 2010 10:42

Harpers So Solid Crew
readingbedding Does anyone think or know that once we were promoted, we could have offered Sidwell what he wanted.
It was about 25 grand a week wasn't it?

We could have done that, but it would have meant paying the likes of Doyle, Harper et all higher wages, I seem to recall on promotion our top earners were on about £18k a week, at least at the outset of the Prem campaign.

didnt we offer him 25 in th eend, but he then wasnt interested, having talked to chelsea etc

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Apr 2010 10:56

As people are crying over spilt milk, let me say is that the Club messed up right there!

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 29 Apr 2010 10:57

Wycombe Royal
Once were Biscuitmen I remember Wycombe & co moaning at the time that we were basically cheating.

Me? I don't think so.

lol, no the fans of the actual club. Not the the artist of the same name.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 29 Apr 2010 11:45

Dirk Gently
That's true, an no-one's disputing that (except to ask who discovered those players? Wasn't it the Chief Scout?).

But the inactivity in the summer after we finished 8th, and also the following January, when SC refused to refresh the team despite having funds to do so, is what ultimately caused the relegation.

Without that we'd not have had to sell those players.

Sorry Dirkers but /Spacey mode on Dolan's brother recomended Doyler I believe and Hunt played for Coppell at Palarse and Brentford iirc, as well as most of the other salable assets having been managed by SSC at his former clubs. Not to say the scouts didn't validate and have another look....

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Apr 2010 11:47

Regarding the comment about the Premiership being a busted flush and us losing money in it...

The two years in the Premier League are, I'm 99% sure, the only seasons we've made a profit since Madejski took over.

On beddings Sidwell point, we could've afford Sidwell at a time but he knew he was onto a winner if he didn't sign a new contract. I don't think he would've signed a new one with us on any realistic amount so that's kind of a moot point.

Dirk has it just about right in my book. Coppells reluctance to spend on 2 or 3 players at a time when we were at our most attractive and financially stable (after finishing 8th) was the biggest single factor in our demise. Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

That took away the edge we had amongst a squad of players trying to prove a point individually and as a team. The end result, relegation.

Messiah
Location: Its not about your achievements in life, its about what you overcome

by Messiah » 29 Apr 2010 11:50

Hoop Blah Regarding the comment about the Premiership being a busted flush and us losing money in it...

The two years in the Premier League are, I'm 99% sure, the only seasons we've made a profit since Madejski took over.

On beddings Sidwell point, we could've afford Sidwell at a time but he knew he was onto a winner if he didn't sign a new contract. I don't think he would've signed a new one with us on any realistic amount so that's kind of a moot point.

Dirk has it just about right in my book. Coppells reluctance to spend on 2 or 3 players at a time when we were at our most attractive and financially stable (after finishing 8th) was the biggest single factor in our demise. Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

That took away the edge we had amongst a squad of players trying to prove a point individually and as a team. The end result, relegation.

Exactly. Superb post.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Apr 2010 11:51

Once were Biscuitmen
Wycombe Royal

Me? I don't think so.

lol, no the fans of the actual club. Not the the artist of the same name.

:oops:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 29 Apr 2010 11:52

Wimb
Dirk Gently
That's true, an no-one's disputing that (except to ask who discovered those players? Wasn't it the Chief Scout?).

But the inactivity in the summer after we finished 8th, and also the following January, when SC refused to refresh the team despite having funds to do so, is what ultimately caused the relegation.

Without that we'd not have had to sell those players.

Sorry Dirkers but /Spacey mode on Dolan's brother recomended Doyler I believe and Hunt played for Coppell at Palarse and Brentford iirc, as well as most of the other salable assets having been managed by SSC at his former clubs. Not to say the scouts didn't validate and have another look....

Exactly.

Pat Dolan was the manager at the time, Coppell checked Doyle out and got him on for a snip, and the club sold him for Millions.
In fact Doyle was still wondering whether he made the right choice over Gaelic.

If it wasn't for Coppell, we wouldn't have sold any of them for as much as we did.
All the revisionists will have to think again.

100%

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 11:55

Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

Now that post makes a lot of sense, players want success, we decided that to survivewas success enough, as a SC fan I felt that the Cup games and the lack of a ambition to play in Europe were his biggest errors.

Signings were irrelevant, we had the players to survive, had the players kept the desire.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 29 Apr 2010 11:56

Hoop Blah Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

I quite disagree with that statement. They didn't exactly "turn" their back on Europe, Coppell basically said that we weren't ready to compete in Europe and that we would need a bigger squad to cope with competing on different fronts. It became a moot point when we drew at Blackburn anyway.

I don't think Coppell did not want to be in Europe. He would have liked it, but as I say, he believed he didn't have the squad for it.
Last edited by SpaceCruiser on 29 Apr 2010 11:57, edited 1 time in total.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 29 Apr 2010 11:57

SpaceCruiser
Hoop Blah Add in the fact that we basically gave up on trying to better ourselves by turning our back on playing in Europe and the players knew they'd all acheived all they could at the club.

I quite disagree with that statement. They didn't exactly "turn" their back on Europe, Coppell basically said that we weren't ready to compete in Europe and that we would need a bigger squad to cope with competing on different fronts. It became a moot point when we drew at Blackburn anyway.

Except that we could have got in on the fair play thing, but declined, then fecked off to Korea or wherever

276 posts