Players released

278 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Players released

by Terminal Boardom » 06 May 2010 15:13

andrew1957 Pleased we have offered Gunnar and Ingi another year but whether or not they agree terms will be interesting - especially with Coppell at Bristol now.

If your current employer offers you x over 1 year and another offers you x+10% over 2 years what would you do?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 06 May 2010 15:25

Terminal Boardom
andrew1957 Pleased we have offered Gunnar and Ingi another year but whether or not they agree terms will be interesting - especially with Coppell at Bristol now.

If your current employer offers you x over 1 year and another offers you x+10% over 2 years what would you do?

that depends totally on whether youre a lazy shite, or driven focussed and motivated individual. and whether the choice is also between developing your career and maximising your potential, or warming benches and bigger pay packets.

if i was offered a 20% pay rise for doing less, id snap their hands off, but thats cos im a lazy shite.
id imagine its in most proffessional athletes make up to think slightly differently.

shaka's shorts

by shaka's shorts » 06 May 2010 15:49

I think it is a good sign. If SJM was adamant about saving £4m would we be offering contracts? Of course, we could be offering them terrible terms so it looks like we are being generous but the players turned them down......????

size 12

by size 12 » 06 May 2010 16:35

Bristol City do not have pots of money to splash out on our players. They survive on crowds lower than we get, and have not had the Prem years to boost the coffers.

I can't see Coppell raiding us too heavily, offering unrealistic 2 year deals at inflated salaries to tempt away our more experienced heads

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 06 May 2010 16:41

Bit surprised at Vasilev being released as I thought great things were expected of him. Or did his injury really screw things up?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 06 May 2010 16:44

size 12 Bristol City do not have pots of money to splash out on our players. They survive on crowds lower than we get, and have not had the Prem years to boost the coffers.

I can't see Coppell raiding us too heavily, offering unrealistic 2 year deals at inflated salaries to tempt away our more experienced heads

THey have a very rich Chairman who has very ambitious plans. They certainly have more to spend than we do.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 06 May 2010 16:45

City's Chairman has made a fortune out of the credit crunch.

He's a reverse JM...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 May 2010 17:02

Wycombe Royal
size 12 Bristol City do not have pots of money to splash out on our players. They survive on crowds lower than we get, and have not had the Prem years to boost the coffers.

THey have a very rich Chairman who has very ambitious plans. They certainly have more to spend than we do.

Even Cheatsmouth have more to spend than we do.....

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 May 2010 18:15

bit baffled as to why we are offering both ivar and gunnar a new contract

would of got rid of ivar and got kish instead

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 May 2010 18:50

loyalroyal4life bit baffled as to why we are offering both ivar and gunnar a new contract

It is quite simple - it would be very unwise to have just three CB's - Mills Khiz, Ingi and Pearce would be good. Just hope Khiz signs up as he says he would like to and we will be ok in that department. Better Ingi than an unknown quantity.

bigshaka'away'

by bigshaka'away' » 06 May 2010 19:26

Harpers So Solid Crew
FiNeRaIn
Woodcote Royal As I said in recently in another thread, of the players who have left in recent times, only Sidwell, Doyle and Marcus would get in our current team and that says everything about how poor a job Coppell was doing by the time he left.

ALOL! Deluded fool.

What it says is that the players have moved on, they have gotten older, and most that were younger had heads turned by money, and a belief they were better than they were. Had we gone up last season many would still of gone, and a rebuild was always going to happen, perhaps it was easier to do so at this level, especially looking at the financial situation, we spent the money in the Prem mostly on wages, as the accts show, unlikely it would have been much different a second time around.

the 05/06/07 team would take the current team apart, all things being equal.

However most have moved on and are enjoying looking forward. What we have to hope is that we can hold onto this team, or most of it, as if we lose too mnay there will be problems replacing, unless BM has a few aces up his sleeve.

'What it says is that the players have moved on, they have gotten older'

Please to god......There is no past tense of the word god, it is Americanism of the lowest order...

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 06 May 2010 19:57

The Surgeon of Crowthorne Bit surprised at Vasilev being released as I thought great things were expected of him. Or did his injury really screw things up?

Yep. Same for Bozanic when he first moved here and then picked up an illness that kept him out for a season. Mitchell Byantt didnt set the world alight at basingstoke apart from that one game where he scored 6 goals!. It's happened before with our youngsters, lots of promise they get injured and then they play semi pro. Darren Campbell, Peter Castle and Ahmet Rifat, although the last 2 didnt get injured for a long time.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 06 May 2010 20:51

bigshaka'away'

Please to god......There is no past tense of the word god, it is Americanism of the lowest order...

If you are going to corrrect English, then at least use the word I misused, I never mention god. And gotten is an English word according to all the sites I have seen that explain its origins, so ya boo sucks.

From Answers.com

Gotten is correct, and very old. In England many people wrongly assume that gotten is a modern Americanism
, but the truth is the English more-or-less stopped using it, and have forgotten (!) that they used to use it.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 06 May 2010 22:25

Harpers So Solid Crew
bigshaka'away'

If you are going to corrrect English, then at least use the word I misused, I never mention god. And gotten is an English word according to all the sites I have seen that explain its origins, so ya boo sucks.

From Answers.com

Gotten is correct, and very old. In England many people wrongly assume that gotten is a modern Americanism
, but the truth is the English more-or-less stopped using it, and have forgotten (!) that they used to use it.

Yep, Bill Bryson explains it excellently in "Mother Tongue" - 'Gotten' is the Germanic tense form that was ditched by popular usage somewhere in the 16th/17th Century.

Next someone will complain the "Soccer" is an American term

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 May 2010 23:47

andrew1957
loyalroyal4life bit baffled as to why we are offering both ivar and gunnar a new contract

It is quite simple - it would be very unwise to have just three CB's - Mills Khiz, Ingi and Pearce would be good. Just hope Khiz signs up as he says he would like to and we will be ok in that department. Better Ingi than an unknown quantity.

well if that does happen pearce is certainly fooked in terms of regular starts

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 06 May 2010 23:58

SpaceCruiser Can we stop calling him USA, FFS?

You are a tiresome fu<k

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 May 2010 01:53

Harpers So Solid Crew
FiNeRaIn
Woodcote Royal As I said in recently in another thread, of the players who have left in recent times, only Sidwell, Doyle and Marcus would get in our current team and that says everything about how poor a job Coppell was doing by the time he left.

ALOL! Deluded fool.

Dear Steve,

If I awoke one morning to find you slicing up our pet hamster, I would know in an instance that it was the work of the devil and that you were utterly blameless

Yours,

A devout member of your Seriously Constipated car park crew

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2010 02:59

grow up Woodcote, you child.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 May 2010 16:51

Ian Royal grow up Woodcote, you child.

+1

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 09 May 2010 20:01

It is more a matter of WR moving on really, I think he is the only one that goes on and on and on and on about Coppell, it is in the past, it is fecking boring to keep harping back.

278 posts