Pompey Game in doubt ?

Scrappy

Re: Pompey Game in doubt ?

by Scrappy » 02 Aug 2010 21:09

I don't think anyone quite knows what is going to happen in the coming days concerning Portsmouth. It's a sorry state of affairs when the fate of a football club is decided off the football pitch and in a court room instead. I have my ticket for this game and am really looking forward to a nice trip down to Fratton Park, whether that be on the 14th August or further in the future. I honestly cannot see Portsmouth getting kicked out of the league (which is what BBC News suggested tonight), however, the land ownership may come up trumps.

I hope for the sake of football that this game is allowed to be played and give the fans what they actually pay for. No one wants to see their beloved club in the situation Portsmouth are in, and their fans have my sympathies. The people who run football clubs shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Aug 2010 23:41

I'd be surprised if Pompey make it through the season. A football lawyer was saying he thought there may be criminal charges over the way the club has been run.

I'm not happy with the fact that even though Portsmouth have lost some key players, they still have players that they bought with money they didn't have at the time. If they do well this season, there's no justice.

Aaron Mokoena has said: "Portsmouth have made it clear they want to rebuild the club around me. They are confident the club will bounce back to the English Premier League and wanted me to be there to guide the new team they are building for the future. I have to confess my heart is still there at Portsmouth and they are offering me a new contract if I remain with the club."

How they can offer someone like Mokoena a new contract beats me. Reading couldn't afford to buy him, that's for sure. Also how Pompey can be in a position to think they can bounce back I do not know.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 02 Aug 2010 23:51, edited 2 times in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 02 Aug 2010 23:50

What makes me laugh about Portsmouth is how they can afford to go on their USA tour!!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 03 Aug 2010 00:10

paultheroyal What makes me laugh about Portsmouth is how they can afford to go on their USA tour!!

Paid for by the tour they did. The Americans are stupid remember!

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 03 Aug 2010 00:42

Geekins
paultheroyal What makes me laugh about Portsmouth is how they can afford to go on their USA tour!!

Paid for by the tour they did. The Americans are stupid remember!

These "big" clubs will be paid to come over by their hosts. Their tour was probably the most financially sensible thing they've done in ages!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Aug 2010 07:49

They'll get away with it as clubs always do. That's the problem and that's why a lot of Reading fans would love to see someone with more money than sense take over Reading and give us 2/3 seasons being wonderful in the Premiership and Europe and then being saved a la Pompey and continue where we are now.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 03 Aug 2010 09:05

Pompey may get away with it but at a price. They are likely to get a hefty points penalty because they will not have exited administration satisfactorily in the opinion of the FL. Luton suffered this fate (18 points deduction?) and it all but guaranteed their relegation from the outset.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Aug 2010 11:41

UpNorth Pompey may get away with it but at a price. They are likely to get a hefty points penalty because they will not have exited administration satisfactorily in the opinion of the FL. Luton suffered this fate (18 points deduction?) and it all but guaranteed their relegation from the outset.

If they get their CVA ratified after today, they will not get a points deduction.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 03 Aug 2010 14:53

The decision in their court case will be made on Thursday.

If they win then their administrators will be concentrating on finalising the CVA and the manager on getting in new players in time. Currently they have a strong backbone of good players at this level but not enough and with no balance for a full team.

It will probably be difficult for them to finalise a deal to use the car parks and stadium accessways with this going on and maybe they will fancy their chances of postponing it until they have a bigger squad.

That said they still have several internationals still on their books. The 11/12 players left would certainly on paper look like they would compete for promotion. This team just beat Fulham 1-0 in the one and only Linvoy Primus' testamonial.

Ashdown - Mullins, Sonko, Wilson, Ritchie - T Smith, M Brown, R Hughes(K Prince Boateng), Utaka - Primus (Kanu12) , Nugent

It looks like Utaka, Kanu and KPB will be gone soon though though so it might be in our interests for a delay. But as soon as that CVA goes through and their transfer embargo is lifted I would expect several football league standard signings coming in as replacements and to enlarge their tiny squad.

If Utaka, Kanu and KPB are sold or about to be sold by this time next week you would imagine they won't be risked in a competitive match, so perhaps it would be good for us to play them now. Even if they do have strong players, ours should be more settled and focussed and should get the 3 points on that alone!

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 03 Aug 2010 15:22

Also Marc Wilson.

M U R T Y

by M U R T Y » 03 Aug 2010 23:42

Judging by their website, Pompey are running out of players fast...

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/squad/first-team.aspx

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 04 Aug 2010 00:02

Interestingly bookies think a points deduction is looming as Portsmouth are 7/4 to get relegated this season!!

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Aug 2010 16:18

The same " sporting chance " when Pompey broke all the rules of bringing the game into disrepute by not " playing "against Fulham last game of the season losing the game 1-0 to Fulham because they did not compete and they were in the FA Cup Final and we all know the consequence of that result...........what goes around comes around !!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 885044.stm

gn1982

by gn1982 » 04 Aug 2010 17:07

I've got tix also, if it does all go to the pan, we are covered.

Our purchases were made with RFC therefore our "contract" is with them. If the game cannot be played we go to them for the refund. Hence if a match is abandoned/called off we go to where we bought the tix from for a refund.

In terms of the train tickets, as long as you give 24 hours notice you are entitled to a refund because you could not/have not used any portion of the rail fare. Simple!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Aug 2010 17:24

As someone said on another thread, I'd be surprised if Reading have given Pompey the ticket money yet - what with all this speculation. I wanted to go, but I'm not so sure now - I really don't like the thought of giving Pompey any of my hard-earned.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 04 Aug 2010 17:35

I have been looking forward to this fixture for ages and feel certain that Pompey will somehow get the game on. I look forward to welcoming Lindy and Schards to my beautiful adopted city and the post match tour of Buckland, Somertown, Paulsgrove etc etc..

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Aug 2010 17:41

Riseley I have been looking forward to this fixture for ages and feel certain that Pompey will somehow get the game on. I look forward to welcoming Lindy and Schards to my beautiful adopted city and the post match tour of Buckland, Somertown, Paulsgrove etc etc..

:lol: I know they're the rough areas - you can't fool me!

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 04 Aug 2010 18:02

Gunny Fishcake The same " sporting chance " when Pompey broke all the rules of bringing the game into disrepute by not " playing "against Fulham last game of the season losing the game 1-0 to Fulham because they did not compete and they were in the FA Cup Final and we all know the consequence of that result...........what goes around comes around !!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 885044.stm

Karma.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Aug 2010 18:25

An interesting sidenote to this is that the tax authorities are claiming Portsmouth have been on a scam by paying players "wages" through image rights arrangements, whereby the money doesn't have to be taxed in this country. That has at last shed light for me on what struck me as an odd disagreeement between Sol Campbell and the club after he left. He claimed they owed him a million quid (I think) in image rights. At the time I couldn't grasp how Portsmouth could owe Campbell that much for image rights, given that he was not very high profile by then.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 04 Aug 2010 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 04 Aug 2010 18:36

Although I'm sickened at the prospect of a great old club and rival going out of business, leaving the fans bereft in a real football town, I really think it would be better for football at large and for Reading if Portsmouth were liquidated. It's totally unfair that they should intend to play in this league with a number of premier quality players while not being prepared to confront their debts. They should have offloaded the whole squad and started the season with youths.

Their business practices have been nefarious to the point of dishonesty--and I think that will come out in the future. They had no right ever to be signing the likes of Crouch, Defoe, Utaka, Campbell, James, and many other internationals--nor even (and this rankles) to have blagged Smith from under our nose under false pretences (they didn't pay up and their TV money had to be confiscated by the League and redirected to transfer fee-creditors such as Watford). It's cheating, and I'm bewildered it still hasn't stopped.

If Portsmouth are wound up, I'm sure a new club can be formed which, with the support of Pompey fans, should be able to work its way up through the leagues pretty quickly.