Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
havoc

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by havoc » 13 Aug 2010 16:29

300th

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 13 Aug 2010 16:38

FiNeRaIn http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Beattie_(footballer)

Next....

I stand corrected, just the sort of player you should be signing to spearhead your Champions League campaign. Where has all the money gone?

under the tin

by under the tin » 13 Aug 2010 16:45

But if we were League 1, how many of your starting 11 would still be here? Also, there is the double whammy of fewer bums on seats. Crowds would drop to the 10,000 - 12,000 mark very quickly.[/quote]
Very true, TB, but I think 10-12 k is on the optimistic side!

FiNeRaIn Barnsley can spend 1 million on striker, we can't even bring someone in on loan :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its ok boys, we spent 11 million on directors offices and a media suite we don't even use in the championship.

Well run club. :lol:

Some of that 11 mill was spent expanding the hotel infrastructure, and stationery sales reps from Bolton will be using the hotel's facilities regardless of what league the football club attached to that hotel are playing in.
The $64,000 question for me in this scenario is whether the profits from said hotel business will be used to subsidise the football club, or is JM ( a card carrying capitalist , no slight intended by use of the term) going to use that capital in areas where he will generate a return ??????????????

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 13 Aug 2010 20:15

Hoop Blah
rhroyal I had 15 slack minutes at work the other day so I decided to check our most recent accounts on Companies' House. Believe me, we're not in a position to be spending money a on solid, top half centre back. We certainly need one though, maybe McD could pull off another loan coup from somewhere.

In what way? Don't forget those books are quite out of date now, and it's the industry that the clubs in which operates (probably wrongly of course) on different models than most others. We have to compete with the rest of the market (to an extent) if we want to be anywhere near successful.

Ark Royal
If someone comes in and offers 1-2 million for Feds, we should bite their fu cking hand off and then immediately get Zurab in.

Amen to that. He's our most over-rated player and the one that we could generate the most money from without missing him.

He's an average Championship keeper at best, and we could probably do better with either the pick of our youngsters or even using a bit of the money for him on an experienced loanee.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even believing statements. We made a loss last year even with the sales of players, this year we were due to lose parachute payments. True, this year's audited accounts are yet to be released but there is every reason to believe that we're not in a strong position. I'm not buying "JM's bullshit". These were audited accounts, meaning all figures have been thoroughly investigated and evidence has been provided by the club to support them.

Here's how I see it. The key components of 05/06 were either:

Bought when Madejski was investing to get us promoted to Division 1 - Murty and Harper. No longer realistic.

Slightly bigger name signings, added over time like Mills, Tabb and Griffin - Sidwell, Convey, Lita. Still happening now.

Impressive, cheap captures - Ivar, USA, Little, Bryn, Oster etc. We could still do this but it's not easy. Griffin could fall into this category.

Signings who, now, would be absolutely shredded before their debut for a "lack of ambition" and "Tight John Madejski" - Doyle signed from nowhere. Free transfers from Brentford. 150k on Kitson from Cambridge. Makin on a free. I guarantee that if McD makes similar signings right now, people on here will complain. It was a brave gamble by Coppell, and there were some occassions with the likes of Brooker and Owusu that it didn't pay off. However these are the gambles necessary to climb out of this division on a tight budget.

There's also another thing to consider. Championship ticket prices are pretty much the same now as they were when we won promotion back in 2002. Our average attendance isn't much higher. The real world will have experienced significant inflation since we built the team from 2001 to 2006, let alone the footballing world. In real terms, I'd say we're in less of a position to compete because of some big clubs in our division and clubs with Chairmen who don't have the common sense and best interests of their club that JM has.

I'd also put it out there that recent signings, such as Griffin and Mills (Donny player of the season at this level) would have commanded higher wages than the likes of Lita and Ivar when they initially joined. We still have a few ex-Premiership players. They won't be on Premiership wages, but they'll be on high Championship wages. Higher than wages in our pre-Premiership days, I'd imagine. It's time for people to wake up and smell the coffee.

Reading FC's financial year ended in 31/03/10. I imagine a set of financial statements verified and supported by independent auditors are imminent. Use your common sense and read them, because people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I heard somebody say if Bradford can afford £1mill on a player, surely we can? How much transfer income have they received this summer (I don't know)? What is their current wage bill compared to ours? Get a grip people.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Aug 2010 20:47

I meant what from those out of date financials made you think we're in such a mess that we can't afford to bring in a half decent centre.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 Aug 2010 20:48

Come on! The daft old coot went hatstand when SSC spunked £1m on Lita.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 14 Aug 2010 00:45

Hoop Blah I meant what from those out of date financials made you think we're in such a mess that we can't afford to bring in a half decent centre.

You've responded to my answer by asking the same question again. I'll take that as victory in this argument.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 14 Aug 2010 09:14

rhroyal
Hoop Blah
rhroyal I had 15 slack minutes at work the other day so I decided to check our most recent accounts on Companies' House. Believe me, we're not in a position to be spending money a on solid, top half centre back. We certainly need one though, maybe McD could pull off another loan coup from somewhere.

In what way? Don't forget those books are quite out of date now, and it's the industry that the clubs in which operates (probably wrongly of course) on different models than most others. We have to compete with the rest of the market (to an extent) if we want to be anywhere near successful.

Ark Royal
If someone comes in and offers 1-2 million for Feds, we should bite their fu cking hand off and then immediately get Zurab in.

Amen to that. He's our most over-rated player and the one that we could generate the most money from without missing him.

He's an average Championship keeper at best, and we could probably do better with either the pick of our youngsters or even using a bit of the money for him on an experienced loanee.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even believing statements. We made a loss last year even with the sales of players, this year we were due to lose parachute payments. True, this year's audited accounts are yet to be released but there is every reason to believe that we're not in a strong position. I'm not buying "JM's bullshit". These were audited accounts, meaning all figures have been thoroughly investigated and evidence has been provided by the club to support them.

Here's how I see it. The key components of 05/06 were either:

Bought when Madejski was investing to get us promoted to Division 1 - Murty and Harper. No longer realistic.

Slightly bigger name signings, added over time like Mills, Tabb and Griffin - Sidwell, Convey, Lita. Still happening now.

Impressive, cheap captures - Ivar, USA, Little, Bryn, Oster etc. We could still do this but it's not easy. Griffin could fall into this category.

Signings who, now, would be absolutely shredded before their debut for a "lack of ambition" and "Tight John Madejski" - Doyle signed from nowhere. Free transfers from Brentford. 150k on Kitson from Cambridge. Makin on a free. I guarantee that if McD makes similar signings right now, people on here will complain. It was a brave gamble by Coppell, and there were some occassions with the likes of Brooker and Owusu that it didn't pay off. However these are the gambles necessary to climb out of this division on a tight budget.

There's also another thing to consider. Championship ticket prices are pretty much the same now as they were when we won promotion back in 2002. Our average attendance isn't much higher. The real world will have experienced significant inflation since we built the team from 2001 to 2006, let alone the footballing world. In real terms, I'd say we're in less of a position to compete because of some big clubs in our division and clubs with Chairmen who don't have the common sense and best interests of their club that JM has.

I'd also put it out there that recent signings, such as Griffin and Mills (Donny player of the season at this level) would have commanded higher wages than the likes of Lita and Ivar when they initially joined. We still have a few ex-Premiership players. They won't be on Premiership wages, but they'll be on high Championship wages. Higher than wages in our pre-Premiership days, I'd imagine. It's time for people to wake up and smell the coffee.

Reading FC's financial year ended in 31/03/10. I imagine a set of financial statements verified and supported by independent auditors are imminent. Use your common sense and read them, because people need to wake up and smell the coffee.

I heard somebody say if Bradford can afford £1mill on a player, surely we can? How much transfer income have they received this summer (I don't know)? What is their current wage bill compared to ours? Get a grip people.

Having spent many years carrying out in depth investigations into companies accounts with the objective of building financial ROI models I find your faith in accountants and their supposed 'thorough investigations' somewhat amusing. Probably 25% of the accounts looked at, that had been 'signed off' by accountants and auditors, had discrepancies. Some major. Unless the accountant & auditor understand the business the accounts relate to it is amazingly easy to get away with a bit of ‘creativity’. The more complex the company structure more difficult it is for the auditors.

It’s worth noting that all the major players in the recent financial sector meltdown had accounts that had been audited and ‘signed off’ and few, if any, had any warnings flagged up.

This is not to say or suggest, in any way shape or form, that there is anything amiss with the accounts, accounting or auditing of Reading FC Ltd, Millennium Madejski Hotels Ltd or Reading FC Holdings PLC.

However, it will, for me, be interesting to see how the PLC accounts reflect JMs recent statement that he is able to support other businesses (specifically print) in his empire as other areas (specifically Madejski Stadium) are generating revenue.

Otherwise think the above is a pretty fair view on the current situation.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 14 Aug 2010 10:46

Friend of mine was at the VP'' AGM recently when Wood-Smith suggested that the club fear up to five players could leave before the window closes if decent offers are made - Siggy, Kebe, McAnuff, Feds and Long.

Debt free but also ambition free.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 14 Aug 2010 11:23

M Brook Friend of mine was at the VP'' AGM recently when Wood-Smith suggested that the club fear up to five players could leave before the window closes if decent offers are made - Siggy, Kebe, McAnuff, Feds and Long.

Debt free but also ambition free.

I'd probably settle for the last 2 from that list.

Frankly I'm amazed we haven't lost one of the "big guns" already.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Aug 2010 11:24

rhroyal
Hoop Blah I meant what from those out of date financials made you think we're in such a mess that we can't afford to bring in a half decent centre.

You've responded to my answer by asking the same question again. I'll take that as victory in this argument.

Firstly, I wasn't even in an argument so have no idea how you seem to have won one, I was merely asking you what it was in the accounts that you judged to put us in the mire.

In your reply you didn't answer that at all, you just skipped over that bit and went into an appraisal of our transfer strategy.

Feel free to answer the actual question if you like.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 14 Aug 2010 14:50

Hoop Blah
rhroyal

Firstly, I wasn't even in an argument so have no idea how you seem to have won one, I was merely asking you what it was in the accounts that you judged to put us in the mire.

In your reply you didn't answer that at all, you just skipped over that bit and went into an appraisal of our transfer strategy.

Feel free to answer the actual question if you like.

You asked why we couldn't afford a new centre back. I said financial statements and recent factors probably makes one beyond our means.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 14 Aug 2010 15:46

go back to earlier point - if chairman doesnt want to spend money and wants to sell players - then thats his call ...

but he should then keep his mouth fully shut and not spew total diatribe about "we are ambitious and want to get back into premiership" - fans arent stupid, yet the way he speaks to them, he obviously thinks they are....

He says it to placate the masses, but deep down this guy has no ambition to get club back into the top league....he says it because he needs fans to buy season tickets and come through the gates every week !

Best thing that could happen to this club is for Madejski to sell - otherwise if everyone is happy to stay put or even go lower, then him staying in charge will guarantee that

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 14 Aug 2010 17:40

we could really do with a centre back in on loan this week

Halifax 4-1

by Halifax 4-1 » 14 Aug 2010 17:45

[*He says it to placate the masses, but deep down this guy has no ambition to get club back into the top league....]

Yes, I am sure John Madejski is happy in this division with the club losing around £6-7 million a year.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Aug 2010 18:50

Scenario:
You are Jobi McAnuff, QPR have been chasing you all summer and are the only club in the League who can spend without getting into debt. Sir John Madejski comes out and says that Reading are quite happy to finish in mid table in the Championship. Now, if you're Jobi what are you going to think of that? I guarantee he wouldn't be impressed and would immediately request a transfer the same applies to Sig, Federici and Kebe.

Saying we have ambition to get back to the Premier League might not ring true to the fans but if we want to have at least a chance we have to keep our best players.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 14 Aug 2010 19:53

DOYLERSAROYALER go back to earlier point - if chairman doesnt want to spend money and wants to sell players - then thats his call ...

but he should then keep his mouth fully shut and not spew total diatribe about "we are ambitious and want to get back into premiership" - fans arent stupid, yet the way he speaks to them, he obviously thinks they are....

He says it to placate the masses, but deep down this guy has no ambition to get club back into the top league....he says it because he needs fans to buy season tickets and come through the gates every week !

Best thing that could happen to this club is for Madejski to sell - otherwise if everyone is happy to stay put or even go lower, then him staying in charge will guarantee that

Agreed. Its one thing to be debt free. Its another to be the best run club in the 3rd Division.

Sir MadStad's plan seems to be to wait til all the other clubs in the league have gone bust then RFC will take their rightful place as English Champions.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Aug 2010 20:17

You guys slay me. :lol:

Get someone else in as Chairman / owner and watch Reading flyyyyy eh?

Naive fools.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 15 Aug 2010 11:36

Royal Rother You guys slay me. :lol:

Get someone else in as Chairman / owner and watch Reading flyyyyy eh?

Naive fools.

Well, sadly, at the moment we are going backwards. Despite his, increasingly, hollow words, SJM is losing his enthusiasm for our club. He can't go on for ever. Now would be a good time to go.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Aug 2010 11:59

The only good time for Madejski to go is if someone with just as much integrity and genuine desire to see the club stable and successful, but who has significantly more money makes an offer.

Madesjki >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> some random Arab looking to launder some money / some dodgy geeza out for some publicity and a plaything

Madejski >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> no chairman.

723 posts