Back from the Game - Palace

194 posts
prostak
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the Game - Palace

by prostak » 12 Sep 2010 21:02

Victor Meldrew Heard our manager say on the radio what a good job Long did up front on his own.
I agree-the question is in my mind should he have to battle away on his own and is that progressive football?
A good result but it does cocern me that this is now the Reading way-hit teams on the break at home.

Except he's not 'battling away on his own', in theory at least. It's Kébé's and McAnuff's job to back him up, treating him as a fulcrum for attacks. Watching St Pauli earlier today, it struck me that both them and Reading now play in very similar ways. It's the same formation and basic mentality as that employed by all semi-finalists at this year's World Cup, except we second-tier teams haven't the skill to employ short passing.

Where would you take a player from to employ a second striker? Take away one of the two deeper midfielders and we're short of defensive cover. Take away the central attacking midfielder and the only option is lumping it to the wing.

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Sep 2010 21:29

Alan Partridge
Victor Meldrew I noticed yesterday that our car parking charge is £8-at that sort of price how come we have a black hole?
I bet it's not £8 in Torquay AP but then Arch would probably say that ours is a better standard of car park. :wink:

It's free. It's also not £3.90 a pint.

They have parking for 16 cars in the school car park and sod all else in the area. Not worth hiring a steward for that level of income!

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 12 Sep 2010 21:59

quote="That Friday Feeling"]
LoyalRoyalFan
roadrunner So, what happened with the Palace kids trying to get into the East Stand then?

Tried to invade the East Stand. About 20 of them.

20 against 2,000 fans in Y25/26 wasn't going to work.

LOL

If it wasn't for TVP stepping in you lot would of (sic) shit yourselves![/quote]

As per normal, as after the Millwall, Cardiff and Brizzel City games, the Reading 'Boys' would have taken to their collective toes and left the old boys(who should know better) to sort it out

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Sep 2010 22:26

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Sep 2010 22:30

working class hero
Alan Partridge
Victor Meldrew I noticed yesterday that our car parking charge is £8-at that sort of price how come we have a black hole?
I bet it's not £8 in Torquay AP but then Arch would probably say that ours is a better standard of car park. :wink:

It's free. It's also not £3.90 a pint.

They have parking for 16 cars in the school car park and sod all else in the area. Not worth hiring a steward for that level of income!

Street parking. Which is what everyone uesed to do before Identikit were hired to make every football 'stadium' in the country exactly the same.

working class hero

by working class hero » 12 Sep 2010 22:33

Street parking. Which is what everyone uesed to do before Identikit were hired to make every football 'stadium' in the country exactly the same

From what I recall of Torquay a few weeks ago there was precious little street parking.... Probably enough as long as they don't get promoted.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 12 Sep 2010 22:35

working class hero
Street parking. Which is what everyone uesed to do before Identikit were hired to make every football 'stadium' in the country exactly the same

From what I recall of Torquay a few weeks ago there was precious little street parking.... Probably enough as long as they don't get promoted.

Plenty of it within spitting distance of Plainmoor as I recall

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 12 Sep 2010 22:46

Big Foot
working class hero

Plenty of it within spitting distance of Plainmoor as I recall

You could almost park right outside on the closest street about 1 hour before kickoff.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 13 Sep 2010 00:55

There are loads of side streets and places to park within 5-10mins walk of the ground, i am amazed you found it difficult :shock:

Behind the away end there are 3 side streets immediately that lead to a park, all around there is free and available to park the wagon, if the cup draw takes you there again I'd advise any of these.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 13 Sep 2010 08:08

Karacan's best all round performance in a Reading shirt.

Long twice the player after the goal.

Harte still has class in that left foot.

Howard is not the replacement for Sig.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 13 Sep 2010 08:34

I will keep it simple, Ratings...

Fed- 8
Cummings- 6
Harte- 8
Mills- 7
Pearce- 7
Kebe- 8
Jobi- 6
Bryn - 7
Jem- 8
Howard- 6
Long- 8

Basically really pleased with Ian Harte and Jem Karacan.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 13 Sep 2010 09:31

Big Foot http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liQK2tAMzfw&feature=player_embedded

LOL @ 17 seconds in

Amusing.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 13 Sep 2010 09:57

PEARCEY
RoyalBlue
PEARCEY ^ Agree about Mills temper. He got booked, argued with the ref and then committed 2/3 fouls over the next 10 minutes...he was pushing his luck and it wasn't necessary.
My immediate reaction re the second pen was that it looked like a really good tackle...although I still shouted out for a pen along with half of East Stand. Looking at the pen on tv earlier this morning it was never a pen so we were a little lucky because after the second goal Palace were all over the place and we could have scored 7 or 8.

Disagree completely about the second penalty. From where we were sat in the East Stand, it was an absolutely nailed on penalty, which was probably why Long didn't even bother to appeal. Their player only got near the ball after he had wiped Long out!

Can't believe you have formed your view on the basis of the tv picture. It was shot from completely the wrong side to judge (West Stand) and therefore couldn't show what actually happened as Long was blocking the picture.

I was on the East Stand too and my immediate reaction was the Palace player had won the ball and that Long went down with the momentum of the tackle...I appealed for the pen more in hope than expectation. The tv picture shows the view from the other side and again clearly shows he wins the ball from Long and no he is not complely blocking the picture. No pen in my view.

All I can say is that you must have a massive TV screen to be able to see him win the ball, given the angle and distance from which the footage was shot!

We were well positioned to see in Y21 and all three of us were of the opinion that their player went through Long before he got anywhere near the ball. Don't recall the offender protesting much either!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Sep 2010 10:24

Watching it live I thought the second looked more of a penalty than the first, although it wasn't quite the clear cut stonewaller some have made it out to be.

I think the defender took Long just before or at the same time as the ball and it was almost an excellent tackle. There was enough doubt there for our players not to appeal too much (and not because they just assumed it was going to be given!), but by the same token Palace didn't complain too much either.

I still maintain the first was very soft. Having now watched it on the TV footage I don't see any reason to change my mind on that.

The defender placed a hand on Longs shoulder as he was going round him (and full credit to Long for the turn and burst past him as that was good play) but it wasn't enough to bring him down and Long made a right meal of it, and probably started going down before the contact was made anyway (fair enough, it won us the game and got us out of the brown stuff as Palace were on top up until then).

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 13 Sep 2010 10:26

I was sat in the North Stand right in front of the incident and my initial thought was that it wasn't a penalty. And looking at it again I still think that that is the case. I don't think Long was "wiped out". Yes there was contact but the defender got the ball cleanly enough and Longy didn't seem to claim for a pen. I guess it all depends what angle you look at it from.

The defender got the ball that is a dead cert, whether or not you think he 'went through' Long to do so is a matter of opinion.

I don't think he did, the ref obviously though he did. 50-50 call. Either way, it was given and was put way perfectly by Harte, does it really matter now???
Last edited by londinium on 13 Sep 2010 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Sep 2010 10:31

Hoop Blah Watching it live I thought the second looked more of a penalty than the first, although it wasn't quite the clear cut stonewaller some have made it out to be.

I think the defender took Long just before or at the same time as the ball and it was almost an excellent tackle. There was enough doubt there for our players not to appeal too much (and not because they just assumed it was going to be given!), but by the same token Palace didn't complain too much either.

I still maintain the first was very soft. Having now watched it on the TV footage I don't see any reason to change my mind on that.

The defender placed a hand on Longs shoulder as he was going round him (and full credit to Long for the turn and burst past him as that was good play) but it wasn't enough to bring him down and Long made a right meal of it, and probably started going down before the contact was made anyway (fair enough, it won us the game and got us out of the brown stuff as Palace were on top up until then).

I thought the 2nd looked like a quality challenge

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 13 Sep 2010 12:13

loyalroyal4life
Hoop Blah Watching it live I thought the second looked more of a penalty than the first, although it wasn't quite the clear cut stonewaller some have made it out to be.

I thought the 2nd looked like a quality challenge

.. but did you have the whistle in your hand and were you stood where the referee was? Sorry, that was unfair, but my point is that the referee didn't have the benefit of tv replay and had to make his call in an instant. From the angle I saw it my initial reaction was penalty; if you take a player from behind, or even from slightly behind then there is an inherent risk that it will be construed as a foul even if you do get the ball. I have to say that the replay does suggest that it might have been an excellent challenge by the Palace defender - but it isn't conclusive. The other issue for me is that referees tend to side with defenders when fouls are committed in the penalty area - so we should be grateful for this one.
Last edited by West Stand Man on 13 Sep 2010 14:16, edited 2 times in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 13 Sep 2010 12:27

Personally I'm not knocking the ref for giving either decision, I wish they'd give more soft penalties in our favour!

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 13 Sep 2010 12:55

Hoop Blah Personally I'm not knocking the ref for giving either decision, I wish they'd give more soft penalties in our favour!

I think that was our quota for the season.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 13 Sep 2010 13:03

I was side on in Y20 and I thought the defender went through Long to get the, so a definite penalty. I've not seen the TV replays though.

194 posts