The Siggy role

Pele_Kitson

Re: The Siggy role

by Pele_Kitson » 13 Sep 2010 20:37

Early days to be writing off Howard. I thought he had a decent enough game and set up Kebe for his goal.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Sep 2010 21:23

I think Howard is a decent centre mid, really not sure he can play the 10 role.

From within the squad I would like to see Church given a go there. I think the Northampton game will have left BM reluctent to move to 442.

Tabb's not a bad shout, but he's too important in his defensive role though imo. I think we have really missed him.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 14 Sep 2010 00:27

rabidbee I just think that Howard is one of those players who, when he is playing well he isn't noticed, so people often only note the misplaced pass or the scuffed shot on his wrong foot

Agree totally with this. He's almost exactly like Xavi in this regard...

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 14 Sep 2010 00:58

Cannot wait for a centre mid pairing of Tabb, Howard and Karacan.

Not sure why - but I think this would be super solid.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Sep 2010 01:41

Row Z Royal I'd like to think that we won't try to "replace" Sigurdsson, but instead adjust the way we play to suit the current staff, but within the regime they've not long adapted to.

It doesn't mean that Howard is fulfilling the same role (because he ain't!*) but that different players will do slightly different things.

And it'll probably turn into more of a 4-1-4-1 with Boris generally sitting back and Jem generally pushing on.

*no criticismo

S'what I said, isn't it?

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 14 Sep 2010 09:57

prostak He's almost exactly like Xavi

Agreed

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 14 Sep 2010 11:27

andrew1957
WoodleyRoyal jake taylor

Possibly but completely untried - probably needs to go on loan to get experience.

+1. Hope we can loan him out to a decent League 1 side for the full season, then bring him back here next year older, wiser, and fitter. I think he has the makings of an excellent first team player for RFC.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Sep 2010 12:23

Howard really impressed me against Leicester. Agree with RB, he's busy and competent at this level. Happy with what Mcd is trying to do. We've had a pretty good start of the season tbf.

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 14 Sep 2010 13:25

The thing that frustrates me about Howard's performance on Saturday was the miss from Kebe's cutback, from where I was sitting in Y21 it look like a sitter, can anyone shed any light on whether this is the case? In that role he has to score goals, if his finishing isn't up to it then we need to look for someone else. He's only played there once under McD so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I've seen him play a few more times.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Sep 2010 13:29

Arthur Pint The thing that frustrates me about Howard's performance on Saturday was the miss from Kebe's cutback, from where I was sitting in Y21 it look like a sitter, can anyone shed any light on whether this is the case? In that role he has to score goals, if his finishing isn't up to it then we need to look for someone else. He's only played there once under McD so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I've seen him play a few more times.

He wasn't the only one to miss what looked like a sitter. I'm sure I remember 3 chances I thought were dead certs. Can't remember who missed them all though. I think Kebe missed one, but then he scored aswell.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 14 Sep 2010 13:29

Mike Hunt Cannot wait for a centre mid pairing of Tabb, Howard and Karacan.

Not sure why - but I think this would be super solid.

Or maybe a three man midfield of Tabb and Karacan?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 14 Sep 2010 13:37

rabidbee
Row Z Royal I'd like to think that we won't try to "replace" Sigurdsson, but instead adjust the way we play to suit the current staff, but within the regime they've not long adapted to.

It doesn't mean that Howard is fulfilling the same role (because he ain't!*) but that different players will do slightly different things.

And it'll probably turn into more of a 4-1-4-1 with Boris generally sitting back and Jem generally pushing on.

*no criticismo

S'what I said, isn't it?

Guess what I wasn't going to read all of.

Still, glad we're on the same wavelength.

Arthur Pint
Location: Round and round the garden like a teddy bear, one step, two step and....

by Arthur Pint » 14 Sep 2010 14:31

Sarah Star
Arthur Pint The thing that frustrates me about Howard's performance on Saturday was the miss from Kebe's cutback, from where I was sitting in Y21 it look like a sitter, can anyone shed any light on whether this is the case? In that role he has to score goals, if his finishing isn't up to it then we need to look for someone else. He's only played there once under McD so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until I've seen him play a few more times.

He wasn't the only one to miss what looked like a sitter. I'm sure I remember 3 chances I thought were dead certs. Can't remember who missed them all though. I think Kebe missed one, but then he scored aswell.

Yeah I think Kebe missed one that was almost identical to the one he scored, but of course all is forgiven when you actually score! As previously mentioned it would have been nice if Jem's Ronaldo impression had produced a goal.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Sep 2010 15:09

Yes it was a bit of a sitter, he should've at least been hitting the target.

I don't think we can really expect any player to score with every chance though, even when they're that clear cut. If we had a player who was 100% clinical then he wouldn't be with us for long!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Sep 2010 16:01

cf. Sig.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 14 Sep 2010 16:25

I'm sure he's missed a few in his time. Definitely missed a penalty.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 14 Sep 2010 16:51

Well, of course.

My point was that good players won't stay at this level for long.

Arthur Pint

by Arthur Pint » 14 Sep 2010 17:36

rabidbee Well, of course.

My point was that good players won't stay at this level for long.

Indeed - our best chance of keeping The Sig was to have hoped he staid for this season and carried us into the Premiership (try not to laugh) and then remained because we were at a higher level.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Sep 2010 19:18

andrew1957 It looks like we are going to persist with 4-2-3-1 - which I would tend to agree with. Having seen Northampton draw 3-3 when we played 4-4-2, it does not inspire me with confidence that the extra striker makes up for surrendering the midfield. The later stages of the Coppell regime made 4-4-2 look very sterile and we ended up ineffectively hoofing it up to the two forwards most of the time. So given that we are going to stay at 4-2-3-1, then who plays the Siggy role?

No disrespect to Howard. I think he has been ok in the defensive midfield role, but I do not think he is a solution to take over the Siggy role long term. Against a poor Palace it all went ok, but there will be much sterner tests.

We have a few options in the squad, but the one I would like to see explored would be to bring McAnuff in from the wing and give him a go in attacking midfield.

I thought Antonio looked excellent until injured against Northampton and he can definitely do a job on one of the wings.

To me the thought of Kebe, Antionio and McAnuff all breaking forward from midfield looks a very exciting prospect. IMO McAnuff is a player who has enough quality to play almost anywhere on the park and this change could do him and the team good. Any thoughts?

With Howard out for 3 I hope McAnuff gets a shot at the Siggy role now - although i would rather have the Sig any day. I still think the sale of Sig was one of the most short sighted decisons any football club has ever made. We could so easily have been in the PL next season - whereas now survival is the goal.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 18 Sep 2010 19:50

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

There is no "Siggy role" without Siggy.