Back from the game - Bristol

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Back from the game - Bristol

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2010 12:24

EPR First ever lady official in a league game at the MadStad?

Or [probably] not?

You obviously missed the home game earlier this season when the same lady assistant was running the West Stand Line!

Also, I believe Wendy Toms had at least one game at the Mad Stad.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2010 12:31

Snowball [
7.5 Mills. Good solid game. One VG tackle

9.0 McDermott. The manager madea solid choice in dropping Harte so Armstrong could deal with the Bristol RW threat. In the first 20 minutes it looked like his decision was a mistake, and for sure we missed Harte's free-kicks, but how can you argue with a 4-1 win?

Yes, Mills had a good game but I felt he was asleep when the ball came back off the bar for their first. Should have been challenging Stead for the ball and trying to head wide/over.

Yes, Armstrong had a pretty torrid first twenty minutes but, given the way that he was found wanting for pace, I hate to think what would have happened to Harte. His mobility scooter would have needed turbo-charging!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 13:22

RoyalBlue
Snowball [
7.5 Mills. Good solid game. One VG tackle

9.0 McDermott. The manager madea solid choice in dropping Harte so Armstrong could deal with the Bristol RW threat. In the first 20 minutes it looked like his decision was a mistake, and for sure we missed Harte's free-kicks, but how can you argue with a 4-1 win?

Yes, Mills had a good game but I felt he was asleep when the ball came back off the bar for their first. Should have been challenging Stead for the ball and trying to head wide/over.

Yes, Armstrong had a pretty torrid first twenty minutes but, given the way that he was found wanting for pace, I hate to think what would have happened to Harte. His mobility scooter would have needed turbo-charging!

Agreed. I can't remember a defender anywhere near Stead.

When Armstrong was being ripped up, I thought about Harte and wondered as you have done. We really missed his free-kick skills, tho'

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Dec 2010 13:25

Snowball .....
When Armstrong was being ripped up, I thought about Harte and wondered as you have done. We really missed his free-kick skills, tho'

The scoreline would suggest we managed OK.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Dec 2010 13:43

Awful first 25 minutes, but we actually played football for a change after that. Actually enjoyed a Reading game for once.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Dec 2010 14:07

After watching the game at Ashton Gate in October it was obvious that Harte couldn't start this game.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 27 Dec 2010 14:27

It was a very enjoyable game, but the quality of our football wasn't any better than mid-table form. The first twenty was poor, but after we scored, I thought there was only one winner. Bristol City should be ashamed of themselves.

Having said that, you don't just win 4-1 by accident and once we got our noses in front we pressed home our advantage. Although Liegertwood and Karacan did well, I think there is a lot more to come from them. First time I'd seen Liegertwood live and initially, I wondered what all the fuss was about. Glad to see him get better as the game went on. Mills hasn't convinced me all season and he was comprehensively outplayed by Pearce.

Great banter with Feds at the end and a fun way to end Christmas. There is definitely the basis of a decent Championship side here and it will be interesting to see what happens in January. Outside bet for the playoffs but no more at present.

And well done Shane Long for a great forward's performance.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 27 Dec 2010 15:22

Snowball 7.0 Federici. Solid. Don't understand the so-called "indecision" alleged. He managed to get the lob NOT to go in. Let down by his defence?

Just seen the highlights - he started coming for the ball but then hesitated and so was stuck in no mans land which presented an easy lob chance which should have been taken without the need for the followup. He should either have stayed at home or gone harder for the ball.

Leigterwood clearly lost his man in the build up too.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 27 Dec 2010 15:38

Liegterwood! i did'nt see anything that showed quaility from him lost the ball more times than i could count by hanging on to it to long, and his passing was great.. to Bristol City, our mid field was shakey at best, the fact we had a better attack saved us, and ofc a much improved defense imo, nice to hear West stand on 2 occasions dont think the North where awake, it was a great drive back to the West Country with the gutted City supporters.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 15:59

Platypuss
Snowball 7.0 Federici. Solid. Don't understand the so-called "indecision" alleged. He managed to get the lob NOT to go in. Let down by his defence?

Just seen the highlights - he started coming for the ball but then hesitated and so was stuck in no mans land which presented an easy lob chance which should have been taken without the need for the followup. He should either have stayed at home or gone harder for the ball.

The defence is nowhere, Pearce upfield, only Mills anywhere near close (and did nothing). Was a very clever reverse-through-ball put the player away. The reason Feds pauses is because he has to. He rushes out and realises he'll be outside the box if he continues. He stops, caught between the proverbial Devil and..

Point is he stopped the shot going in and was let down by his defenders

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 16:01

westongeezer Liegterwood! i did'nt see anything that showed quaility from him lost the ball more times than i could count by hanging on to it to long, and his passing was great.. to Bristol City, our mid field was shakey at best, the fact we had a better attack saved us, and ofc a much improved defense imo, nice to hear West stand on 2 occasions dont think the North where awake, it was a great drive back to the West Country with the gutted City supporters.

Than God McDermott is the manager, then.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 27 Dec 2010 16:05

westongeezer nice to hear West stand on 2 occasions dont think the North where awake

I think you've got that the wrong way round.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 27 Dec 2010 16:22

SLAMMED
westongeezer nice to hear West stand on 2 occasions dont think the North where awake

Someone must have dropped a stitch in their knitting patturn.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Dec 2010 17:40

Snowball
Platypuss

The defence is nowhere, Pearce upfield, only Mills anywhere near close (and did nothing). Was a very clever reverse-through-ball put the player away. The reason Feds pauses is because he has to. He rushes out and realises he'll be outside the box if he continues. He stops, caught between the proverbial Devil and..

What do you mean - he STOPPED the shot going in?? All that happened was that the Bristol City player failed to score with his lob; Fed had f**k all to do with the ball not going in!!!!!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 17:51

[quote="Mr Angry"

What do you mean - he STOPPED the shot going in?? All that happened was that the Bristol City player failed to score with his lob; Fed had f**k all to do with the ball not going in!!!!![/quote]

The player he was defending against failed to score.

Whether by luck or judgment, that's a fact.

The failing was, in part, because the player chose the lob, and that was because Feds didn't charge in and probably give away a pen and get sent off.

Cookie

by Cookie » 27 Dec 2010 20:11

SLAMMED

:D Great let's turn this into a West vs North Stand thread, I'm not sure enough has been said on the subject yet.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 27 Dec 2010 20:47

Mr Angry
Snowball
Platypuss

What do you mean - he STOPPED the shot going in?? All that happened was that the Bristol City player failed to score with his lob; Fed had f**k all to do with the ball not going in!!!!!

Beg to differ. In the end he positioned himself well and made himself big. In doing so he made it a lot more difficult for the Bristol City player to score.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

!

by brendywendy » 28 Dec 2010 09:55

Have to say it was keepers ball. Eithes stay' or come,and keep coming. Kick the ball,or at least put the striker off. Him standing 6 yards away in no mans land had no affect whatsoever on the lob.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: !

by Snowball » 28 Dec 2010 10:07

brendywendy Have to say it was keepers ball. Eithes stay' or come,and keep coming. Kick the ball,or at least put the striker off. Him standing 6 yards away in no mans land had no affect whatsoever on the lob.

which failed to go in.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: !

by Mr Angry » 28 Dec 2010 10:11

Snowball
brendywendy Have to say it was keepers ball. Eithes stay' or come,and keep coming. Kick the ball,or at least put the striker off. Him standing 6 yards away in no mans land had no affect whatsoever on the lob.

which failed to go in.

The point being, that Fed had ZERO influence on the lob being missed; to say, as you have done, that he "stopped" the lob from going in is staggering - by that token, all a keeper has to do is be on the pitch, and then every attempt at goal that fails to go in, even if its a shot that has gone closer to the corner flag than the goal, is claimed by the keeper as a save!

:roll: