You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

183 posts
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: You're Reading manager for the Jan transfer window

by facaldaqui » 02 Jan 2011 16:26

LoyalRoyal22 I think if we can get one really good striker e.g Charlie Austin for say 1.25m, thats pretty much all we are missing. No point buying a mediocre striker, as we already have 3 of them who are all pretty much the same(average/quite good Championship forwards).

Dont think we should sign Mikele, not much better than we got already, would be a sideways move, just abit of a journeyman. If we lacking a Defensive Midfielder, why not go into the lower leagues and pluck out a up-and-comer for a couple of hundered k. Its not a hard position to fill, and we already starting to fill up with journeyman...e.g Harte, Griffin, Zurab.

Now I wouldn't call any of them journeymen. They're experienced players who have some unusual skills. Leigertwood, though, is certainly a journeyman: the same with Tabb and Howard. I suppose Long and Church are too young and untravelled to be called journeymen, but I think that's what they will become. For me a journeyman is someone like Bryan Carnaby or Lloyd Owusu.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 02 Jan 2011 16:56, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Jan 2011 16:38

Jamie cureton is also a journeyman. He's done lots of journeys.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 02 Jan 2011 16:50

We need a striker who can get us 15-18 goals in the 2nd half of the season, and a quality central midfielder; hasn't Michael Tonge just been recalled by Stoke from his loan at Preston? He would give us something in the middle as a loanee. As for a striker, is Charlie Austin the Swindon striker?? He is definitely worth a punt imho.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 02 Jan 2011 16:58

Mr Angry We need a striker who can get us 15-18 goals in the 2nd half of the season,

Now that would be something ...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jan 2011 17:52

Mr Angry We need a striker who can get us 15-18 goals in the 2nd half of the season, and a quality central midfielder; hasn't Michael Tonge just been recalled by Stoke from his loan at Preston? He would give us something in the middle as a loanee. As for a striker, is Charlie Austin the Swindon striker?? He is definitely worth a punt imho.

15-18 goals in 22 games? Is Jesus available?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jan 2011 17:55

Negative_Jeff We have yet to see the best from many of these players, so I would look at my own shortcomings and bring in an additional coach, someone who could help get the team playing the "right way" and "get the ball down". The latest punditry wizard spouting this type of crap was the Mad Dog on New Years Eve. Apparantly Rodger`s Swansea play the right way, but McDermott has merely done a good job at Reading. As it happens I broadly agree with the Mad Dog but as I am neither a pundit nor an out of work manager let me buck the trend and say Brian`s methods are the "wrong way".
So what is the "wrong way"? I would say any combination of; long balls to a big striker, long balls down the channels, pressing the opposition relentlessly in their own half, and no link up play involving midfielders and defenders. I was an admirer of Swansea and Martinez methods long before Ian Holloway cottoned on to the idea, and have to own up to being a bit of a purist myself. However RFC passed up the opportunity a year ago to play the"right way" with a pragmatic decision to try to turn results around. From my point of view I could have accepted relegation last year if it meant we could have returned with the enterprising football such as under Mark McGhee in 1994. Anyone else agree?

i find the swansea style of play quite dull tbf.
and also think that teams like that, dont like opposition playing"the wrong way" because its so effective

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 02 Jan 2011 17:56

Mr Angry We need a striker who can get us 15-18 goals in the 2nd half of the season, and a quality central midfielder; hasn't Michael Tonge just been recalled by Stoke from his loan at Preston? He would give us something in the middle as a loanee. As for a striker, is Charlie Austin the Swindon striker?? He is definitely worth a punt imho.

15-18 goals in 1/2 a season is some sort of wonder player who wouldnt be coming here.

id take tonge and austin- think theyd do well, but it all depends who else is interested in them

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 02 Jan 2011 17:57

Snowball

15-18 goals in 22 games? Is Jesus available?

Probably the best post I've seen you write. Well worth hitting " Display this post".

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 02 Jan 2011 18:05

^ :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Jan 2011 18:41

The long-ball game can be very exciting. Look at the superb play for the moment we should have won the penalty.

Good pressure-relieving ball out to Long, great header on and Kebe is away.

The problem, yesterday in particular, was that our clearances were wild
blasts away or hopeful punts. They weren't decent passes in the league of
Harte when he picks out Kebe, or Harte when he got Long away at Watford.

And really, despite Shane getting better and better as the target man, it's still not his forte.

He should be playing in the channels, chasing balls over or through the defence.

Oh if we had a 6-2/6-3 striker who was a NATURAL hold-up man, or Jason Scotland.

And the defence learning to pass a bit better.

The Echo

by The Echo » 02 Jan 2011 19:18

brendywendy
Negative_Jeff We have yet to see the best from many of these players, so I would look at my own shortcomings and bring in an additional coach, someone who could help get the team playing the "right way" and "get the ball down". The latest punditry wizard spouting this type of crap was the Mad Dog on New Years Eve. Apparantly Rodger`s Swansea play the right way, but McDermott has merely done a good job at Reading. As it happens I broadly agree with the Mad Dog but as I am neither a pundit nor an out of work manager let me buck the trend and say Brian`s methods are the "wrong way".
So what is the "wrong way"? I would say any combination of; long balls to a big striker, long balls down the channels, pressing the opposition relentlessly in their own half, and no link up play involving midfielders and defenders. I was an admirer of Swansea and Martinez methods long before Ian Holloway cottoned on to the idea, and have to own up to being a bit of a purist myself. However RFC passed up the opportunity a year ago to play the"right way" with a pragmatic decision to try to turn results around. From my point of view I could have accepted relegation last year if it meant we could have returned with the enterprising football such as under Mark McGhee in 1994. Anyone else agree?

i find the swansea style of play quite dull tbf.
and also think that teams like that, dont like opposition playing"the wrong way" because its so effective

Unfortunatly not. Swansea have bagged nine points out of nine against us. I would suggest that we are in fact their perfect opposition. Swansea expose our weaknesses rather than the other way round.

This naive comment encapsulates what's been holding English footballl back all these years. Our "up and at em" "get up a head of steam" may please some but not me. In the trenches during WW1 General Haige probably felt the same. The Somme bombardment is pretty much the warfare equavalent to our "crash, bang, bombard the door from 30 yards football". Noise, explosions and bluster do not neccasarily equal breached defences.

Opposition managers refer to Reading being "a tough opponent when they ge up a head of steam" they are eluding to exactly this point.

I'm glad I wasn't in the trenches with you. Give me NJ's leadership anyday as I might live. Please feel free to go and follow Stoke.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Jan 2011 19:33

When we get up a head of steam we play most of our best passing football IMO.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 02 Jan 2011 19:44

I just want to see us play like we did at Anfield again. We were so confident, so awesome. I want to watch my team and be like "wow, that was special".

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 02 Jan 2011 19:59

NR_Royal I just want to see us play like we did at Anfield again. We were so confident, so awesome. I want to watch my team and be like "wow, that was special".

Gimp

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 02 Jan 2011 20:00

Pseud O'Nym
RoyalBlue LOL at Sky referring to Cotterill's limited budget at Pompey!

Limited it may be but he is still able to have the players we couldn't afford e.g. Kitson, Nugent, Sonko in his squad!

Yeah, what an enviable position to be in, only being able to put 4 substitutes on the bench because you can't afford to pay the appearance money!

Yeah. we do so well filling our bench don't we! Absolutely oozing with quality - NOT! Better four quality subs than just making up the numbers. And despite their supposed financial problems they've still managed to go out and sign another player already in this transfer window.

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 02 Jan 2011 20:44

In- Austin,Leigterwood
out- mooney,williams

most likely outcome:
in- leigterwood
out- long,kebe

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 02 Jan 2011 20:56

Were not in a position where we can be picky with our strikers. We're in a tight promotion race and we need to pick up goals/points fast.
Our strikers clearly haven't cut it this season, so how can people be so picky with some of the options we are looking at? Austin has a decent goal record and is worth a try.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Jan 2011 20:13

I really suspect Madejski and/or his men must be putting something into the manager's tea!

I couldn't believe it when in today's post match interview McDermott referred to the strength in depth that he has in the squad! :shock:

Has he looked at his strike force?! He has just three senior 'strikers'. My heart was in my mouth when Long went down injured today. If he is out injured we are left with just Hunt and Church!!

How often to you hear good managers say you can never have too many strikers? Even Sir Steve said on more than one occasion that you need to have four good strikers on your books in order to be able to compete effectively.

You need more strikers Brian and you need to get that message through to Madejski. Mick Gooding knows only too well what it is like working for Madejski and he said today that he is certain that you will be asked why you need another striker when Long is scoring. That is a question you must answer well and an argument you must win if you are serious about pushing for promotion.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Jan 2011 21:16

I thought Brian's comments on BBCRB were quite reassuring as I have been more worried about players leaving than expecting a lot to come in.

If we can retain all our main players and perhaps lose one or two of the ones we don't play and sign Legs and one new striker - then we have every chance of at least making the play offs.

If on the other hand we sell the likes of Fed, Long, Kebe or McAnuff - then I really will struggle to find the motivation to bother attending games for the rest of the season.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 03 Jan 2011 21:25

Much like we hoped to retain all our main players in the autumn, until Siggy was sold, like it or not that was a kick in the balls for the manager, progressive management would be buying at the start of the window, rather than sit and wait, my fear will be that we get no one in to strengthen the squad, then QPR come along and snap up Kebe, and someone comes along for Long, we almost know for sure that should we get offers of about £2m for either we will accept it.

Also we always hear how there is little money, and that we never brag about what we have as it pushes prices up, we the same happens if you have a large squad, if we get another striker in fast then we dont need to sell anyone, so can reject offers, looking to strengthen not weaken.

183 posts