Ive always rated Shane Long

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Ive always rated Shane Long

by Snowball » 26 Dec 2010 20:55

brendywendy cant fault his displays in the last 5-6 games except for his shooting.then hes just sparked into life with 4 in 2 games.finally mcD gets the rewards for giving the lad his extended chance, and showed real faith that must have really given th eboy some confidence.

started off shaky again today, but settled down and took his goals and assist well.
an all round great performance. top top stuff.
really pleased- nothing i like more is a player getting stick and (eventually) shoving it down peoples throats. just hope he keeps it up.

Great diving header saved by James too, and another save forced, a few great bursts into the box and passes

Trainspotter

by Trainspotter » 26 Dec 2010 21:59

I have given Shane Long a fair bit of stick in the past and slagged him off horrendously - and the manager for picking him.
However, today I witnessed one of the most complete performances by a Reading striker for a long time. Shane won everything, never stopped running, never gave the ball away, set up others and looked as good a player (if not better) than Kevin Doyle. And he was cheaper!
I am not prone to eggageration, but he was a joy to watch and was the inspiration behind Reading's impressive performance(apart from the first 20 Minutes). More performances like that and he must become an automatic choice for the Republic of Ireland for a long time. I take my hat off to you Shane(if I had one)

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 26 Dec 2010 22:02

I'm concerned for bids coming in for him :(

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 01:14

Trainspotter I have given Shane Long a fair bit of stick in the past and slagged him off horrendously - and the manager for picking him.
However, today I witnessed one of the most complete performances by a Reading striker for a long time. Shane won everything, never stopped running, never gave the ball away, set up others and looked as good a player (if not better) than Kevin Doyle. And he was cheaper!
I am not prone to eggageration, but he was a joy to watch and was the inspiration behind Reading's impressive performance(apart from the first 20 Minutes). More performances like that and he must become an automatic choice for the Republic of Ireland for a long time. I take my hat off to you Shane(if I had one)

Well said, and kudos to you for being honest and open, prepared to change your opinion.

IMO Shane is still a "kid" and the equivalent of an average Academy 21-year old.

He could still go a long way, which (unfortunately) makes him valuable

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 01:14

leww_rfc I'm concerned for bids coming in for him :(

Et moi

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Dec 2010 01:18

Anyone seen 2WW?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Dec 2010 08:29

Long will always be cr@p when viewed through Nicky Forster's anus.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 03 Jan 2011 20:14

The lads coming good.Lets hope we dont overlook a new striker then shanes goals dry up

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 03 Jan 2011 20:43

I'll pass my judgement at the end of the season. Remember last season when he had that run of 5 or 6 great games and then played like shite for the rest. Still, he has looked vastly improved of late and fair play to the lad.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 03 Jan 2011 21:21

If Shane carries on like this he may yet turn out to be a 20 goal a season striker! :shock:

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 03 Jan 2011 21:48

His workrate was high again today and he does well over the first 30 yds against defenders.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2011 22:07

Plymouth_Royal I'll pass my judgement at the end of the season. Remember last season when he had that run of 5 or 6 great games and then played like shite for the rest. Still, he has looked vastly improved of late and fair play to the lad.

He's got ten league goals and two international goals this season. Beats 6 league and 3 cup goals last season

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Jan 2011 22:09

I'm a few games behind most people.... but that was top display from Long against Bristol.

Excellent strength and determination to win the ball and then a cool and unselfish head to lay it off for Hunt to tap in (who looked like he was caught in two minds about controlling it or shooting to me - not that it mattered at all).

I thought he'd mishit his first goal and dragged it wide of the near post, but he obviously saw James had left a gap and went for it. Good play.

Second one and again he beat James at that post with a good finish.

I've always thought Long had the potential to have been a good player, just that his early career lack of games here had ruined his development. I'm far from convinced this isn't just another (slightly extended) purple patch he's going through, like he has in the past. The real test for me is can he keep popping in the odd goal over the next 4 - 6 games and finish the season with 15+. And then can he start next season (should he still be here) without a big early barren patch and considerably weaker performances.

Good luck in proving me wrong fully.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 03 Jan 2011 22:35

He scored his first goal this season September 11th 2010, and now has reached ten goals in 16 weeks, that's fairly spread out, I'd've said.

He's getting more goals because he has a strike partner, just as I said he would.

Let's not forget, either, that now he has 6 open-play goals for RFC, 150% more than any other player, plus he's won six pens, scored four, Harte 1.

And plenty of assists. Roll on February 1st.

firstdivision

by firstdivision » 03 Jan 2011 22:45

Another game, and some more goals from open play. My confidence in him is growing , and i think playing 4 4 2 suits him better. I still rate him.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 03 Jan 2011 22:52

He has been good for the last few games now, and if he can stay consistent then fair play.

He was piss poor for the most part of this season so far though and should be judged over the next ten games.

Makes me laugh how he scores a couple and is suddenly player of the month and secondly a premiership striker. Slightly fickle as if he had converted the gilt edged chances in those draws we would be top 2.

I really hope he continues to play like this alongside a goalscorer like Austin (we can but hope).

pearcetom

by pearcetom » 09 Jan 2011 13:22

Spotted in the hogs head in Newbury last night. Shane was lovin the shots a bit too much!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 09 Jan 2011 13:46

pearcetom Spotted in the hogs head in Newbury last night. Shane was lovin the shots a bit too much!

But statistically speaking, did he have more shots than any comparable Championship striker celebrating an FA Cup win over Premier League opposition?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 09 Jan 2011 14:16

I haven't always rated Long and when he's shit again I'll change my av.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 09 Jan 2011 19:20

Basingstoke Royal He has been good for the last few games now, and if he can stay consistent then fair play.

He was piss poor for the most part of this season so far though and should be judged over the next ten games.

Makes me laugh how he scores a couple and is suddenly player of the month and secondly a premiership striker. Slightly fickle as if he had converted the gilt edged chances in those draws we would be top 2.

I really hope he continues to play like this alongside a goalscorer like Austin (we can but hope).

been our most consistent player all season, has looked good all season, went through a patch on his own up front where he couldnt score, but that has gone now

to reduce that to"hes been good for the last few games" is stupid
even if you take the bit where he didnt score as "bad" hes still been "good" for way morte than a "few" games