DEAL OFF - Bradley Wright Phillips

934 posts
tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MORE THAN A RUMOUR - Bradley Wright Phillips

by tomrfcurz » 10 Jan 2011 18:32

Linden Jones' Tash This is taking longer than rescueing trapped Chilean miners...

Wonder if BWP will have the photos done in 'those' sunglasses...

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 10 Jan 2011 18:35

brendywendy if it is off, it would once again reaffirm my belief that the revious policy of coppell about not ever talking before the deal is sealed was the co9rrect one.

Whether we complete this deal or not it was very surprising that McDermott made such a public statement of our interest which I agree is never helpful. However I think it is less relevant in the modern world of football. On these occasions once a fee has been agreed the players Agent contacts any Clubs who might be interested in the player to try to see if any of them want to match the bid and offer his client better terms. I have no doubt once we had agreed the fee with Plymouth BWP's agent would have been in touch with Blackpool and any other Clubs who had previously shown an interest.

At the price Plymouth have allegedly agreed to accept I would be surprised if there were no Clubs willing to match the fee tbh although Holloway has been quoted this afternoon as saying he has missed out on BWP as he has signed for us.

I will be a tad peeved if we lose him due to delaying the final formalities because SJM isn't available for the photoshoot but it could be the knee problem which has caused the delay.

Fordham's Twitter is normally a reliable source of information but on this occasion all he can say is that the Club have not confirmed the deal and he is guessing something may happen this evening or tomorrow.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 10 Jan 2011 18:43

tomrfcurz Typical Madejski: Cash-strapped Plymouth Argyle have accepted Royals’ bid of around £300,000 for the striker, although it is believed they turned down an initial approach of just £100,000 before the deal was finally struck.

£100,000. Joker

Are you saying we shouldn't negotiate price? We're not the Ministry of Defence.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 10 Jan 2011 18:47

facaldaqui
tomrfcurz Typical Madejski: Cash-strapped Plymouth Argyle have accepted Royals’ bid of around £300,000 for the striker, although it is believed they turned down an initial approach of just £100,000 before the deal was finally struck.

£100,000. Joker

No i'm saying £100,000 is ridiculous for a striker that the club are clearly aware of the skills he has. I think i'm right in saying Doyle cost £75,000 (correct me if wrong) and he was a pretty unknown player when it come to English leagues

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 10 Jan 2011 18:54

tomrfcurz
facaldaqui

£100,000. Joker

No i'm saying £100,000 is ridiculous for a striker that the club are clearly aware of the skills he has. I think i'm right in saying Doyle cost £75,000 (correct me if wrong) and he was a pretty unknown player when it come to English leagues

He was COMPLETELY unknown to the English Leagues.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 10 Jan 2011 18:58

I reckon we're probably waiting so we can unveil a double signing tomorrow. Although if UR&G is anything to go by it may be about 8.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 10 Jan 2011 18:59

Royal Lady He was COMPLETELY unknown to the English Leagues.

He was completely unknown to English fans, but it's a fair bet a few clubs knew about him. They just didn't have an employee with a relative who knew about his cheap buy-out clause.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 10 Jan 2011 19:00

Wizard I reckon we're probably waiting so we can unveil a double signing tomorrow. Although if UR&G is anything to go by it may be about 8.

EDIT: Misunderstood what you wrote there :oops:
Last edited by tomrfcurz on 10 Jan 2011 19:02, edited 1 time in total.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 10 Jan 2011 19:00

Elmer Park
brendywendy if it is off, it would once again reaffirm my belief that the revious policy of coppell about not ever talking before the deal is sealed was the co9rrect one.

Whether we complete this deal or not it was very surprising that McDermott made such a public statement of our interest which I agree is never helpful.

In McDermott's defence, the fee and terms had been agreed and only the medical left pending. I agree I'd rather he hadn't said anything at that point, but Plymouth manager Peter Reid chose his post match interview to also confirm Reading had agreed the fee and terms had been agreed, and the boy was at the stadium for the medical.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 10 Jan 2011 19:01

Wizard I reckon we're probably waiting so we can unveil a double signing tomorrow. Although if UR&G is anything to go by it may be about 8.

:lol: This board would go into melt-down if the club unveiled 8 new signings tomorrow.

Linden Jones' Tash

by Linden Jones' Tash » 10 Jan 2011 19:20

7 we can deal with...brayson, Crawford, fleck, macintyre, oh I forget the rest... For all the good that did us...

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 10 Jan 2011 19:31

Linden Jones' Tash 7 we can deal with...brayson, Crawford, fleck, macintyre, oh I forget the rest... For all the good that did us...

Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub !

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jan 2011 19:49

Linden Jones' Tash 7 we can deal with...brayson, Crawford, fleck, McIntyre, oh I forget the rest... For all the good that did us...

Howie? Gray? Scott?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2011 19:57

I'm hoping that BWP will turn out to be a very good signing (assuming there is no last minute glitch).

However, I think the suggestion that we are getting a £1M player for £300K or less because Plymouth are strapped for cash is pretty silly.

Most, if not all, managers, including our very own, say that genuine goalscorers are extremely hard to come by and therefore carry a price premium. That being the case, you would have expected plenty of clubs to be vying for BWP's signature and that competition would have pushed his price up close to his market value, irrespective of Plymouth's financial situation. The latter would only really come into play if time was of the essence and Plymouth had to complete the transfer and get the money into the bank in hours rather than days/weeks.

The fact the the price has only reached £300K suggests to me that that is more or less what the market perceives his value to be and/or other clubs have been put off him for some reason e.g. his injury record or brushes with HM Constabulary.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Jan 2011 19:59

facaldaqui

£100,000. Joker

In Madejski's defence I can only suggest that he has an even tighter relative working behind the scenes at Blackpool! Their reported bid took the p even more.

Bedale Royal

by Bedale Royal » 10 Jan 2011 20:10

Harpers So Solid Crew
Bedale Royal
ROY AL Since moving to Reading 18 months ago and becoming a Royals supporter attending most games home and away, and also an avid reader of this forum. It is more than apparent that many of the forum users will moan at just about everything. So instead of knocking the team and management lets get behind them and SUPPORT the team.

Well said. That's why I and many I know don't bother posting on here much, if at all.

Yet you come along and read it . Perhaps if you and others you knew joined it it might be more reflective of the feelings of fans.

Is my reading this forum a problem for you? Ok, here is a reflection of my feelings for you to consider. Having supported this club through thick, and some very thin years for 34 years I have an opinion. But the level of debate on this forum is....not that good. It often, from what I can see, consists of moaning and whinging. And on occasion personal abuse.I really don't want to be a part of that. But I do want to be informed about what is happening.

I am not pointing the finger at you by the way; I love all Reading fans of course, as they are blessed with fine taste. I just wish they would appreciate more how lucky they currently are. :D Yes, I'm an old git and can remember cold rainy days at Elm Park playing Wimbledon in front of 3,000.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Jan 2011 20:38

Z175 I jsut had a few too many pints before nipping back to the park and ride this afternoon so thought I'd use the gents in the hotel and see if I could see our new boy anywhere...

Sadly the only face I recognised talking to a couple of suits in the atrium was Nigel Howe. He said he was sorry he could not give details but we will not be signing bradley wright phillips today due to an issue with his knee. Nick hammond is on his way to Plymouth to meet Ridsdale face to face. Risdale is keen to meet as Hammond is a well respected director of football and Risdale needs advice on which goldfish to get rid of and whether to loan Seth Johnson and Robbie Fowler.

Hammond will try to get 50% off as WP has only 50% of his knees but Blackpool and Nottingham Forest have matched our original bid for jsut his right leg so it is now unlikely... back to gossip and rumours please

Nigel Howe is a talkative, warm, friendly, chatty soul.

Not.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 10 Jan 2011 20:47

Bedale Royal I am not pointing the finger at you by the way; I love all Reading fans of course, as they are blessed with fine taste. I just wish they would appreciate more how lucky they currently are. :D Yes, I'm an old git and can remember cold rainy days at Elm Park playing Wimbledon in front of 3,000.

Wimbledon? Pfff. That doesn't make you old. I remember when Wimbledon was just a place where wombles lived. Now if you'd said Workington...

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 10 Jan 2011 21:02

Ian Royal Am I the only one that saw Z175's post and immediately dismissed it as mildly funny wind up? Everyone seems to be taking it rather too seriously.

Chillax people.

Maybe. I dismissed it as a totally unfunny wind up.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Jan 2011 21:06

Arch
Bedale Royal I am not pointing the finger at you by the way; I love all Reading fans of course, as they are blessed with fine taste. I just wish they would appreciate more how lucky they currently are. :D Yes, I'm an old git and can remember cold rainy days at Elm Park playing Wimbledon in front of 3,000.

Wimbledon? Pfff. That doesn't make you old. I remember when Wimbledon was just a place where wombles lived. Now if you'd said Workington...

Hey!!

I was a very bad person in a bad life and my karma dictated I would be a Newport County fan.

We went one season (I think) starting the season with about 20 losses (can't find the records)
and our first point was a 2-2 at Hartlepool.

We were so far adrift at the bottom of the4th division and word was we would not be re-elected.

We eventually went on a run and we played Workington almost back-to-back
with the last game being home to them. We had to win to get off the bottom, last game of the season, and we did.

I think the score was 4-3. A most incredible night.

934 posts