Deadline Day

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Deadline Day

by The Prisoner » 31 Jan 2011 11:02

Normally the club come out and tell us that they are not going to sign/sell anyone on DD if they don't anticipate any action.

Nothing has come out, so is anyone coming in/going out ?

I am thinking Marcus Williams may get shipped out on loan somewhere and that someone might show their hand with Brian Howard with a loan move with a view to a transfer? Can't see anyone coming in - we seem to conduct our business a bit more openly now and nothing is being said.

And before the HNA pedants cry "UR & G!" a) nobody looks there and b) this very much affects the team!

Elmer Park

Re: Deadline Day

by Elmer Park » 31 Jan 2011 11:14

Even if nothing is planned I dont think the Club can be as catagorical as they have been able to be in the past. All McDermott can say is he hopes no one is sold which he has said. Hammond has been pretty quiet so, whilst I dont think we plan to sell anyone major, I think we will accept a serious bid for any of our players as it will have to happen at some point either now or in the summer to make up another dreaded shortfall.

Kebe's mystery 'illness' is a worry though.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 31 Jan 2011 11:17

Players get Ill all the time the same way people at work do. Do you expect the club to tell us all Jimmy's symptoms? :|

If someone comes in with a monster bid for Long or for Kebe then it will have to be a MONSTER to get a sale from us. Quite frankly if someone wants to overbid for a player with 18 months left on their deal who could leave for free and hold us to ransom in 12 months time then it's not the worst thing in the world.

Hoping nobody gets sold though and a creative midfielder on loan wouldn't go amiss......

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 31 Jan 2011 11:22

McDermott: Reading FC stars staying put
By Jonny Fordham
January 31, 2011

Brian McDermott is confident he can keep his first-team stars at Reading ahead of tonight’s transfer deadline.

All January sales have to be concluded by 11pm when the window slams shuts and Royals look to have done all their major deals with Brett Williams, Mathieu Manset and Sean Morrison all on board.

LIVE: Transfer deadline day

Midfielder Brian Howard, currently sidelined with a toe injury, is attracting interest from his former club Barnsley, but McDermott is reluctant to let him leave the club, insisting he is a vital squad player.

“We haven’t heard anything from anyone,” McDermott told the Post when asked about the 28-year-old.

McDermott will oversee first-team training this afternoon before his squad travel to Cardiff for tomorrow’s huge game against the Bluebirds at the City of Cardiff Stadium (7.45pm kick-off).

Follow Royals reporter Jonny Fordham on Twitter here

Winger Jimmy Kebe is expected to be back to full health and in contention for a start after missing Saturday’s 2-1 FA Cup win at Stevenage through illness.

And any rumours linking the Mali magician with a move away from Madejski Stadium are totally unfounded.

McDermott joked: “The only place he will be going today is on the bus to Cardiff with the rest of the squad. Jimmy trained yesterday and should be okay.”

However, centre-back Alex Pearce looks like he will have to sit out yet again with a thigh strain

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 31 Jan 2011 11:23

The Prisoner And before the HNA pedants cry "UR & G!" a) nobody looks there and b) this very much affects the team!

You appear to mainly be discussing Club Policies, though.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 31 Jan 2011 11:41

rabidbee
The Prisoner And before the HNA pedants cry "UR & G!" a) nobody looks there and b) this very much affects the team!

You appear to mainly be discussing Club Policies, though.

Whilst General Football may also be mentioned. Is there a section relating to The Team within the framework of Club Policies and Unfounded Rumours? Perhaps Snowball could knock up a pie chart of bias towards these sections within HNA and argument could follow as to the percentage and probability based requirement for redistribution of topics.

Or we could just say bollocks to it.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 31 Jan 2011 12:35

BBC reporting West Ham want Long but Nicky Hammond has ruled it out and said...

"West Ham want Shane Long but Reading director of football Nick Hammond tells me 'no deals of any consequence today, just a few kids coming in'."

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 31 Jan 2011 12:37

Presumably the two guys from Dulwich.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 31 Jan 2011 12:45

Forest sign Konchesky. What's Bertie done wrong?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 31 Jan 2011 12:52

Man Friday What's Bertie done wrong?

Apart from no longer playing for Forest I don't know.

Username:

by Username: » 31 Jan 2011 12:53

Man Friday Forest sign Konchesky. What's Bertie done wrong?

Back at Chelsea as his loan has finished I think

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Jan 2011 12:54

@SkySportsPeteF:
Reading boss Brian McDermott claims the club have not been approached regarding any of their star assets.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 Jan 2011 12:55

Username:
Man Friday Forest sign Konchesky. What's Bertie done wrong?

Back at Chelsea as his loan has finished I think

would love it if we got him back in

Elliott

by Elliott » 31 Jan 2011 12:59

On the BBC deadline day feed...

From bbcsport_david on Twitter: "West Ham want Shane Long but Reading director of football Nick Hammond tells me 'no deals of any consequence today, just a few kids coming in'."

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 31 Jan 2011 13:03

I think there's an echo in here.....

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2011 13:18

comeonyouroyals BBC reporting West Ham want Long but Nicky Hammond has ruled it out and said...

"West Ham want Shane Long but Reading director of football Nick Hammond tells me 'no deals of any consequence today, just a few kids coming in'."

As I'm sure Snowball will confirm, Shane's too good for that Cockney shower these days!

Why guarantee Championship footy for yourself next season whilst there's still an outside chance of a campaign in the top flight with us?

I'm delighted to see our east end "friends" in such dire straits.

There's a manager in the north east who's just signed a five year contract and might fancy moving south to help them out :P

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 31 Jan 2011 15:16

James Beattie.
Last edited by Chillitsphil on 31 Jan 2011 15:32, edited 3 times in total.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 31 Jan 2011 15:19

Who are the young players?

Plus, neither McDermott or Hammond have ruled out any more singings? They've only said players won't leave.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Jan 2011 15:32

Chillitsphil Bit of word on the huddersfield message board about Anthony Pilkington. Surely not, he can't be as good as Kebe or McAnuff.

http://downatthemac.proboards.com/index ... 977&page=5

Not really much though is it - more just a reference to your post here!

Chillitsphil

by Chillitsphil » 31 Jan 2011 15:33

James Beattie mate, James Beattie.