Hob Nob Regular

Re: Armstrong retires

by LoyalRoyal22 » 08 Mar 2011 17:10

Really sad about this. Top player.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 08 Mar 2011 17:19

Whilst i wasn't as big a fan of Armstrong as others on here this is still sad news. Obviously the club kept it quiet, maybe at Chris' request, as it came as a shock to discover that he has MS when the text came through.

Its quite remarkable that he managed to play 7 games this season, including 3 back to back games in Sep/Oct and another 2 back to back in Oct, all in quick succession, and not do a bad job. I only saw one of those games, the Swansea home game, and although he struggled a bit imo i put that down to the way Swansea kept possession so impressively in that game, especially in the first half.

I found McDermotts tribute to him quite touching tbh.
Last edited by KC Royal on 08 Mar 2011 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Mar 2011 17:21

I thought Chris was terrific in the 2008-9 season and I was one of the many who voted for him as player of the season.

This is really sad news and as others have said I think it is very impressive how Chris himself, the club and other players have handled this anbd kept it quiet.

It is such as shame and I thought Chris did very well in the 4-1 win against Bristol City (which is the last time he started for us if I recall rightly) and I really could not understand why he has not been playing more this seaosn. Obviously we now know the reason.

I can only say how sorry that I am and hope for the sake of Chris and his family that he has a long period of remission from this horrible disease.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Chris Armstrong

by sandman » 08 Mar 2011 17:22

rfcjoe
Silver Fox Joe, you never fail to be unfunny but you've excelled yourself here

I see your fascination for me is still going strong dawg.

Because it's all about you isn't it? :roll:

If the club organised a benefit match for him that would be great. It doesn't matter if there's nothing in it for them because quite frankly it's not about them.

Anyway, desperately sad for Stretch. There may be no cure but if he takes on MS with the same determination he showed on a football pitch he'll be ok. Good luck and best wishes to him in the future.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Mar 2011 17:26

Heard this on radio when I was driving home from work, not ashamed to say it brought a little tear to my eye - great player - great bloke - best of luck for the future. :cry: xx

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 08 Mar 2011 17:35

Amazing that he carried on through all this, well done and good luck for the future, agree with son of Bdc, would be better if was a televised game tho.

TY Chris for your time at RFC, POTS, thats an achievement.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 08 Mar 2011 17:39

It seems as though Stretch has confronted this terrible, debilitating disease in the same way that he plays the game: with a quiet, unassuming strength of character and determination.

One of the genuine "good guys" and a classy player, too.

Full marks to MaccyD, the squad and especially the medical staff for the support they have given and confidentiality they have maintained.

All the best, Chris

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 08 Mar 2011 17:40

Terrible news; genuinely upset by this.

Thanks for everything Chris - all the best for the future.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 08 Mar 2011 17:40

Royal Lady Heard this on radio when I was driving home from work, not ashamed to say it brought a little tear to my eye - great player - great bloke - best of luck for the future. :cry: xx

Have to confess to feeling the same.
This is terrible news for the lad.
As Andrew posted this explains the big mystery of why he hasn't been playing.
I agree with BDC that the game v Sheff Utd could be a tribute to him.

Gloria Gooner
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gloria Gooner » 08 Mar 2011 17:42

Very sad news. Might be an idea to start a separate thread about a tribute game on the 25th, or the idea might get lost in the other posts.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 08 Mar 2011 17:45

Royal Lady Heard this on radio when I was driving home from work, not ashamed to say it brought a little tear to my eye - great player - great bloke - best of luck for the future. :cry: xx

I had tears in my eyes when I read the quotes on the OS

The way he has gone about it is amazing and quite humbling

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 08 Mar 2011 18:15

Such awful news.........top player!

Bedale Royal

by Bedale Royal » 08 Mar 2011 18:15

Very sad news indeed. It does show what a strong charachter he must be to have fought this in the way he has. I can only wish him all the best for the future.

Optimist

by Optimist » 08 Mar 2011 18:30

Testimonial with proceeds going to MS Society is great idea imo. He got a cap for Scotland B so SJM should ask the SFA if we could have Reading vs Scotland XI or something in pre-season.

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 08 Mar 2011 18:34

Knocked me sideways when I was at work earlier. The suggestion to make him fans player of the season would be a lovely tribute and I'm sure the players would agree.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Mar 2011 18:51

Can't say the retirement comes as a big surprise, but obviously the circumstances do, and I'd echo the sentiments of most Reading fans that it's a real shame for the club, the fans and most importantly the player himself.

He slotted in perfectly and filled Shorey's boots better than most would've expected, and that's no mean feat.

It's a shame there aren't more players around with Armstrongs character and commitment to the cause.

I hope the club or STAR do do something to allow us as fans to mark his, albeit relatively short, Reading career for the excellent contribution it was.

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 08 Mar 2011 18:59

what sad news, this guy was an absolute star in the 2008-09 Season. His consistent performances, cool head, steady nerve and attacking style from the back made him one of the best full-backs outside the premier league.

If this guy has battled through this disease all season and still managed the appearances he has (bristol C at home brought the memories back from the player of the season year) he deserves everyones votes for player of the season. to play with such courage and determination would be an inspiration for any young footballer today in an era which is scourn by over paid andover inflated price tags for footballers who do not even earn the admiration of the fans.

Take care Chris, all the best in what will be a long fight

doylefan

by doylefan » 08 Mar 2011 19:07

Gutted to hear this. A great player for us during his time at the club. Always took the time to talk to fans as well before and after games, no matter what the score or if he had played or not!

Wishing you all the best for the future Chris, the fans won't forget you!

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 08 Mar 2011 19:11

Very sad news indeed. Proud of the way the club has handled it. Puts all the fuss over cup tickets in perspective. I agree with the idea of a tribute at the Sheff Utd game.

He was excellent in 08-09, in what was after all one of our top five best seasons ever. Player of the years ahead of Hunt, Doyle, Hahnemann, etc. Possibly even more amazing than stepping so well into Shorey's shoes is the possibility he was already beginning to feel the effects of what is a debilitating illness (diagnosed December 09 - could already have had an impact months before).

He'll be very fondly remembered.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Mar 2011 19:15

This news is so very sad. Now everything appears to fall more into place. Why he appeared to be injury free but not played.

As others have already commented, the fact he managed to play at all this season, let alone as well as he did when he was selected, is testament to a great man. I'm glad I saw him play again this season and play well.

I really hope he can win his battle with MS and continue to stay off its effects on him.

Would be nice to sing his name out loud and proud at the Man City game and our next home game.

146 posts