Who's shocked by how well we're doing?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Who's shocked by how well we're doing?

by TFF » 08 Apr 2011 08:55

I'm shocked by how poor the league is this season. The way we started we shouldn't be in with any sort of a shout.

A very average team will get promoted this season. It might be us.

Tutti Frutti

by Tutti Frutti » 08 Apr 2011 09:27

That Friday Feeling I'm shocked by how poor the league is this season. The way we started we shouldn't be in with any sort of a shout.

Don't buy that. If we take 2pts/game for the rest of the season, we'll end up with 77pts and be about 5th. In points total terms, that is about normal.

I had us down for 9th and a challenge next season.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 08 Apr 2011 09:41

That Friday Feeling I'm shocked by how poor the league is this season. The way we started we shouldn't be in with any sort of a shout.

It's the same nearly every year - all you need is a bit of consistency and a good run. Look at Blackpool last year, and look at the year before, where we were utter crap from Jan to April but still got into the play-offs.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 08 Apr 2011 11:13

Why do people say it's a poor league? Last season it was a similar standard but with a superior top 2. This year the only real difference is that it's a superior top 1. When you look at squads such as Cardiff and Swansea, the team ethics such as Norwich and us and the resources of clubs like Forest, it's not a weak league. As already pointed out on this thread, the points in play so far this season are no lower than usual.

The gap between Premiership and Championship has always been this big; we just weren't previously so aware when it was a big unknown. Any decent team at this level can walk to promotion, like us and Sheff Utd when we went up. You always get 1 or 2 mediocre teams going up. Fair play if it's us. McD has done a great job at forging a fantastic team understanding and ethic, we deserve to be where we are. We are now a good Championship team who look like possibly snatching a Premiership place.

The league next season won't be much stronger for my money. I know people talk about a good Premier League this season, but if Wigan, Blackpool and Wolves/West Ham/Blackburn/Birmingham come down, I won't be quaking in my boots. The issue is how good we would be next season, with Long almost certainly gone and possibly a couple of others.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Apr 2011 13:23

I am massively shocked about how well we're doing considering the fact that we are actually complete rubbish.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 08 Apr 2011 13:32

floyd__streete I am massively shocked about how well we're doing considering the fact that we are actually complete rubbish.

We're not complete rubbish, but we're flawed, that's for sure. Looks like our secret is to have a versatile squad at a time when other teams are being weakened by injury.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Apr 2011 13:35

I'm not surprised, just pleased.

Also glad that our squad depth is much stronger than many on here gave it credit for.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 08 Apr 2011 13:37

Not shocked at all, we're a decent team at this level.

Obvious.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 08 Apr 2011 13:39

At the start of the season the speculation and finally departure of Sigurdsson seemed to really knock the team.

However, Brian has done a remarkable job and the whole squad has just got better and better as the season has gone on. The current run of good form has put us in with a good shout of promotion.

Is the division weak - no - just very competitive.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 08 Apr 2011 16:07

Always thought "there or thereabouts" which meant about 6th or 7th to me. It's a shock that we have a chance of going higher.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 08 Apr 2011 16:17

floyd__streete I am massively shocked about how well we're doing considering the fact that we are actually complete rubbish.

Don't worry m8, normal service will be resumed when we lose the next two.

Cookie

by Cookie » 08 Apr 2011 17:57

Who's shocked? My mate Spike is.

He says "I don't do predictions but I had your lot to be struggling just above the drop zone" :|
Last edited by Cookie on 08 Apr 2011 19:35, edited 2 times in total.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 08 Apr 2011 18:37

I'm not surprised, we dominated games all season without getting the results we deserved but haven't lost many. That said, although you would expect some teams to falter, swansea Leeds forest and burnley all faltered at the last possible moment for us and all did so in style.

Forest have only 3 points from their last possible 21, while we took 19! The extent of that surprises me!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Apr 2011 18:44

Z175 I'm not surprised, we dominated games all season without getting the results we deserved but haven't lost many. That said, although you would expect some teams to falter, swansea Leeds forest and burnley all faltered at the last possible moment for us and all did so in style.

Forest have only 3 points from their last possible 21, while we took 19! The extent of that surprises me!

If Noel Hunt had played more 90-minutes games...

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 08 Apr 2011 20:13

I am surprised considering how we have been playing recently.The results have been superb, however we have played better.
At the moment we seem to be grinding out results, nothing wrong with that except, at some point someone will take advantage and beat us.
Having said that if we continue to grind out results until the end of the season, I for one will be elated.
(Then again with our recent injury list and players "playing" out of position, we have far exceeded my expectations and done superbly)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Apr 2011 20:20

Our problem is there have been about 8 other teams who have shown form as good as we currently have at some point during the season. Most of them have also either had significant mediocre runs of form, like us, or horrific short runs of form.

Forest, Burnley, Leicester, Pompey, Watford, Leeds, Swansea, Cardiff & Norwich have all looked like promotion contenders at one point or another. This division is always massively tight, with the difference between a run of great form and a run of poor form hanging on a knife edge of confidence and luck.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 08 Apr 2011 20:50

Snowball
Z175 I'm not surprised, we dominated games all season without getting the results we deserved but haven't lost many. That said, although you would expect some teams to falter, swansea Leeds forest and burnley all faltered at the last possible moment for us and all did so in style.

If Noel Hunt had played more 90-minutes games...

Haha that surprised me too Mr Snowball, Pleasure to meet you by the way!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Apr 2011 22:18

Ian Royal Our problem is there have been about 8 other teams who have shown form as good as we currently have at some point during the season. Most of them have also either had significant mediocre runs of form, like us, or horrific short runs of form.

Forest, Burnley, Leicester, Pompey, Watford, Leeds, Swansea, Cardiff & Norwich have all looked like promotion contenders at one point or another. This division is always massively tight, with the difference between a run of great form and a run of poor form hanging on a knife edge of confidence and luck.

Ian, I was saying that our poorer runs were due to the quality
of the opposition and that we would redress the balance when
we played the lesser sides. We aren't "playing brilliantly". It's just
we were always hard to beat and now we are (generally) playing weaker sides

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 08 Apr 2011 23:04

Ian Royal Our problem is there have been about 8 other teams who have shown form as good as we currently have at some point during the season. Most of them have also either had significant mediocre runs of form, like us, or horrific short runs of form.

It seems we have hit bad form this season when we have played teams at the top consecutively. It gives us hope as our remaining games are mostly against teams at the bottom.

*Should of really read the post above.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 08 Apr 2011 23:15

only shocked by how well we've done recently with our smorgasbord of squad/HNA rejected players