To all the fans who booed today

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: To all the fans who booed today

by Ian Royal » 26 Apr 2011 11:54

Just FYI the youngsters.

Booing is called for when you conceed 6 goals in the second half at home.
Booing is called for when you lose the third game in a row 3-0 to a shit team destined to relegation when you should be going for the play offs.
Booing is called for when you weakly capitulate to yet another of your relegation rivals at home, when you ought to be mid-table.
Booing is called for when you lose having conceeded two goals to 10 men and are abject shit.
Booing is called for when you lose yet again, despite being 2-0 up at half time, to relegation material.

Booing is not called for when you lose your first league game in about 12 matches and have just been in almost the best form of our lives and have an off day against a team desperate for points. No matter the performance.

Feel free to boo v Derby if we lose at Coventry and in that game. Otherwise stop being so spoilt.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Apr 2011 11:57

even then, its a bit gay to bo

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Apr 2011 12:01

brendywendy even then, its a bit gay to bo

I wouldn't, but I could understand why. I think I've only ever booed a couple of times. QPR away under Rodger, P'Boro away under Rodgers...

I laughed at Bristol Rovers, it was just so ludicrous. I was too shocked and disgusted at Wimbledon and Fulham to raise the motivation to boo.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 26 Apr 2011 13:49

Not read all of this thread, but it's astounding that the respect and goodwill that the team has earnt from such a remarkable run of results is so wafer-thin that it doesn't last beyond the first poor perfromance in nearly 3 months.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 26 Apr 2011 13:50

Svlad Cjelli Not read all of this thread, but it's astounding that the respect and goodwill that the team has earnt from such a remarkable run of results is so wafer-thin that it doesn't last beyond the first poor perfromance in nearly 3 months.

Agreed. I'm booing this thread.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 26 Apr 2011 16:20

brendywendy
Libertine Maybe it is just me. Or maybe it is the sporting culture I've grown up in but when a team/player doesn't play the game the way it should be played, even a great team/player, they deserve to be booed and usually are. It has nothing to do with booing just because a team lost a game. All teams lose games and in no way deserve to be booed based solely on that fact. For example the Boston Red Sox of MLB have been booed off the field many times, including in their championship seasons, when they didn't play the game the way it should be played. The booing doesn't mean we hate the team or think they are shite, just that we didn't approve of the way they played that particular game which we spent hard earned money to attend. And of course we want our favorite team to come out next game and make it right by winning 10-0. Maybe it is different over there and it gets chalked up to just being "one of those days", but I don't think booing or whistling a team off the pitch is out of bounds, if deserved, like, imho, today's game. These players are paid a great deal of money to play a child's game. More money than most of us will see in a decade, if not a lifetime for the bigger stars. They need to have thick skin, accept why they were booed and redouble their efforts to make sure it doesn't happen again, or at least for a very long time.

For what it is worth...

its clearly not just you. i doubt id have been able to hear it if it were.

imo booing for one bad game is moronic. booing(post match only) may be ok towards the end of a season where we look like relegation candidates, maybe. but not this season, and not that game.

for people to question the players effort, or will to win, or whether they cared at all is also moronic.

but then we are suppoprted by a lot of morons, so its to be expected now.

Well I guess, by your definition, Brian McDermott is moronic. Because he addressed the issue of the player's effort, and their "switching it off", in the wake of yesterday's game.

Hey I am done with this. I said my peace and have no desire to beat this issue to death. I felt it was completely warranted to boo the team, based on the reasons I gave earlier on this thread, others disagree, and now it is time to move on to our next game against Coventry City, not see a replay of yesterday's effort, and hopefully punch our play-off ticket.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Apr 2011 16:37

no. i demand we beat this issue to death until you change your mind about motivational booing.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 26 Apr 2011 16:40

How many lifetimes do you have? :wink: :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Apr 2011 16:46

an infinite number

(+1)

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict

by Libertine » 26 Apr 2011 16:54

Well Don Quixote, keep on tilting at those windmills...you'll bag one of those elusive dragons yet. :D

I am closing in on 50 years old...and on this point I'm far too old to change my mind. :wink:

:)

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Apr 2011 16:54

Svlad Cjelli Not read all of this thread, but it's astounding that the respect and goodwill that the team has earnt from such a remarkable run of results is so wafer-thin that it doesn't last beyond the first poor perfromance in nearly 3 months.

TBF it was the second poor performance in 4 days, but otherwise +1000000

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 26 Apr 2011 17:12

Barry the bird boggler IMO any booing would be justified, the team performance was unacceptable and the attitude I felt throughout was that the players felt they just had to turn up.

Just because we've been on a good run and got ourselves involved in the play offs it isn't an excuse to accept crap when it turns up and there's no other way for fans to let players/management know instantly.

What is wrong is when there is booing and discontent towards players being expressed DURING a game....

My booing was alright because it was selective - indiscriminate booing is wrong. :|

royal-ross

by royal-ross » 26 Apr 2011 17:19

Absolutley ridiculous imo. One bad 70 minutes and suddenly we jump on their backs. What good is booing? What does it achieve especially with the play off's looming. I'm not gonna point fingers but i honestly feel the Prem glory boys have sniffed a chance of promotion and were disappointed yesterday.

Yes we played badly but as McD said, maybe it's a good thing this happened as i'd rather lose and have a bad performance now then have that performance in the play off's when it really matters.

Get behind the boys for these last few games and through the play off's if you wanna boo, please stay away.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 26 Apr 2011 18:57

Bandini

Agreed. I'm booing this thread.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 26 Apr 2011 19:52

Regardless of our recent string of results, I don't think that many fans were in a contemplative mood at the final whistle. It's hard to look back over the past few months after a performance like that and think "Well, I was totally let down by my team today; but given the circumstances of the season, the fairly meagre amount of money spent in comparison with our peers and the quite brilliant run we just been on, I'll give them the benfit of the doubt. Huzzah lads, I salute you, although I shant be happy should you go and produce another shower of shite against Coventry next week. Ye be warned!"

Fact is, we were as bad for 70 minutes yesterday as we have been for a very long time and to make matters worse, we thought we had the game won and that is inexcusable. I'm sure we will put it right against Coventry, but any booing that there was yesterday (and I heard only a few muted boos at full time) was borne out of sheer frustration. I can understand that, even if I'd prefer not to hear it.

Oh and Royal Lady, sorry to say that Matt Mills played more like Heather Mills yesterday.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 26 Apr 2011 19:55

brendywendy even then, its a bit gay to bo

I didn't realise that homosexuals tended to "boo" more than heterosexuals. Oh well, you learn something every day on this informed website.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 26 Apr 2011 20:25

Libertine

Well I guess, by your definition, Brian McDermott is moronic. Because he addressed the issue of the player's effort, and their "switching it off", in the wake of yesterday's game.

Hey I am done with this. I said my peace and have no desire to beat this issue to death. I felt it was completely warranted to boo the team, based on the reasons I gave earlier on this thread, others disagree, and now it is time to move on to our next game against Coventry City, not see a replay of yesterday's effort, and hopefully punch our play-off ticket.

For a 50 year old you really are a bit daft aren't you. There is more than a slight difference between the manager identifying issues with the team and you booing them. I have never yet heard him boo the team - largely because he isn't moronic like those who do boo. (ps I am 55)

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 26 Apr 2011 22:37

What were we meant to do? clap the players for their half-assed shite performance?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Apr 2011 01:01

Libertine I felt it was completely warranted to boo the team, based on the reasons I gave earlier on this thread, others disagree, and now it is time to move on........................................

Couldn't agree more.

There must be clubs up and down the country crying out for the kind of support that Grade "A" Pr*cks like you see as fully "justified" when a team loses it's first match in 13? whilst coming within a few points of automatic promotion to the best league in the world and one goal away from a first ever semi final in the most famous cup competition on the planet.

This club needs morons like you like the rest of us need a hole in the head.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 27 Apr 2011 01:43

Not going to read four pages of this drivel about how to be the perfect fan (and won't be coming back to this thread either), it is lolzworthy how you're told how you should behave at a football match.

Don't blame people for booing that rubbish after thinking it was going to be a walk in the park. No matter what the run of form is/league position, there is no excuse for that showing and people having paid the prices they've had to so are entitled to do what they want.

For the record i walked out in disgust and went for a pint, never stay long enough to boo the team.