The Summer clearout / Coming in thread. Updated 27/8

652 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Scott Davies released

by ZacNaloen » 09 May 2011 14:49

andrew1957 A few seasons ago we used to send out our up and coming young players on lengthy loans to League 1 and 2. Some benefited but I am wondering of the lower standard of play and coaching has hampered the likes of Davies and meant that they have not continued to develop. He did really well in his two seasons at Aldershot - but the last two seasons he has disappointed, as none of his loans spells have gone really well.

Maybe this is why we have not loaned out the likes of Taylor this season and kept him training with the first team squad and why we have sent the promising Walcott and Mills to Telstar - in a more technical league.

Sad to see Davies go but I think this was inevitable and really hope that the Wycombe manager (who knows him well) signs him up and gives him a chance.

I thought we kept Taylor because Brian thought he was good enough to compete, but then he got injured for a long period so was never really available for a Loan when he was missing out.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 May 2011 15:08

ZacNaloen
andrew1957 A few seasons ago we used to send out our up and coming young players on lengthy loans to League 1 and 2. Some benefited but I am wondering of the lower standard of play and coaching has hampered the likes of Davies and meant that they have not continued to develop. He did really well in his two seasons at Aldershot - but the last two seasons he has disappointed, as none of his loans spells have gone really well.

Maybe this is why we have not loaned out the likes of Taylor this season and kept him training with the first team squad and why we have sent the promising Walcott and Mills to Telstar - in a more technical league.

Sad to see Davies go but I think this was inevitable and really hope that the Wycombe manager (who knows him well) signs him up and gives him a chance.

I thought we kept Taylor because Brian thought he was good enough to compete, but then he got injured for a long period so was never really available for a Loan when he was missing out.

He had an injury but was fit well before the loan deadline shut.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 May 2011 15:50

andrew1957 He did really well in his two seasons at Aldershot - but the last two seasons he has disappointed, as none of his loans spells have gone really well.

I think it's probably more to do with the standard he was playing at and the motivation.

Going out on loan to Aldershot he was a youngster looking to make a name for himself and played in the Conference and then League 2. As a youngster full of themselves that would've been easier than having yet another loan spell here there and everywhere because your own club have decided that you're not going to make it.

He looked a decent enough player, but not technically good enough to play successfully at this level. He'd score a few goals for you but he'd lose the ball too often too from what I saw of him. He wasn't good enough at this level to build a team around (in the same way we kind of built a team around Andy Hughes) but if he goes back to League Two and has the right attitude then he could be a big hit.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

Scott Davies and Julian Kelly Released.

by AlexY25 » 09 May 2011 17:59

Text from club.

Scrappy

Re: Scott Davies and Julian Kelly Released.

by Scrappy » 09 May 2011 18:01

From Twitter:

Club hand free transfers to young duo Scott Davies, 23, and Julian Kelly, 21, after the conclusion of their contracts with the club.

Thought they were both fairly decent, but when the academy has provided the first team with a decent amount of talent recently, there was always going to have to be some players who didn't make the cut.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Summer clearout Thread

by pea » 09 May 2011 18:06

Kelly given a free transfer today too

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 May 2011 18:10

Always impressed with Julian Kelly.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2011 18:13

Always thought Davies would be a decent player for us, but obviously never happened for him. There was a rumour a while back that he didn't put a shift in for training which didn't help him out...

Wish him luck, I think he'll do a v good job at a league two or possibly league one club. But it's been a couple of seasons without much football for him so he may have gone backwards.

Kelly, always looked very enthusiastic, but not actually that good to me. Best of luck to him, but I can't see him making it above League two.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 09 May 2011 18:29

Davies - disappointed that we didn't see more of him in all honesty. I thought Rodgers bombed him out of the first team too quickly early last season after he was subbed at half time against Newcastle when he looked a very good prospect against Forest. Energetic, looked like he could be exactly the type of box-to-box midfielder we missed once Sidwell left.

Kelly - never let us down when called upon but it was blatantly clear he would never be a Championship defender. Defensively sound, does that side well, but skillz on the ball sadly lacking League 2 beckons for him.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 May 2011 18:32

Davies best game was when he scored against Chelsea... I suppose there's not many young footballers that can say that when they're released... even if it was pre-season.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 09 May 2011 18:44

I hope these guys find clubs for next season. I can't imagine much worse than being out of a job because you weren't "good enough", with no qualifications at all.

Good luck guys.

Royal Tezza

by Royal Tezza » 09 May 2011 18:46

Was able to pass on my support to Julian Kelly through a mate. Same best wishes extended to Scott Davies, both decent players I thought when they got the chance.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 09 May 2011 18:51

Shame about Kelly. Did well in his debut home to Wolves but never reached the potential required. He and Davies would be great signings for Swindon this summer. I expect Wycombe to renew their interest in Davies as well.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 09 May 2011 19:00

Best of luck to both of them. A shame it didn't work out with us but I sincerely hope they land with teams where they will see playing time. Both are still young enough to have long careers ahead of them.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 09 May 2011 22:05

I thought Scott Davies was excellent in that Chelsea game and always hoped he migth come good for us: he looked a better prospect than Matejovsky. I hope he finds a club and crops up regularly on the football league show for the next few years.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 May 2011 22:37

On the rare occasions I saw Julian Kelly, he always seemed reasonably competent. He had some injury problems so maybe that's curtailed his development. I didn't go to the Chelsea friendly so didn't see much of Scott Davies and he never stood out as anything special.

We can't expect every Academy graduate to break into the first team and in comparison to Sigurdsson, Pearce, Karacan, McCarthy, Church and Robson-Kanu, Kelly and Davies were not in the same class. The club's judgement in these matters is usually pretty good. It would be nice to see them make a career for themselves in league football, not many of our rejected academy gradualtes have.

Cookie

by Cookie » 09 May 2011 23:12

Top Flight
brendywendy looked a good player every time i saw him, but siggurdsons meteoric rise rather spoiled his progression through the levels here.
hope he does well wherever he goes. hes a really decent prospect for a league 1 or new championship side imo

Sigurdsson's meteroic rise had nothing to do with Scott Davies progression through the levels at Reading. The only thing that stopped Davies from breaking in to our team was the fact that he simply wasn't good enough.

If he was good enough, he would have made it.

Aah Gylfi - I still miss him. I notice he scored the winning goal at the weekend.
http://www.espnstar.com/football/bundesliga/news/detail/item618634/Nurnberg-1-2-Hoffenheim/

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 09 May 2011 23:38

andrew1957 If we get promoted I could see the likes of Ingi and Gunnar getting another year as their experience could be very valuable in the PL.

If we do not get promoted I expect a large number of departures - obviously headed by those out of contract - but we will almost certainly see the likes of Fed, Long and Kebe leaving at the very least.

For the sake of stability I think it is very important that we do make it - or Brian will have a big rebuilding job on his hands.

No, No and No. Our final season in the prem of Harper partnering gunnarson with Ingi at the back has given me nightmares. Ingi and Gunnarson are older since then and I have no faith in them bringing any meaningful contribution to the team in the prem. If you want players with prem experience in the team you want ones that have been there done that, but can are still good enough to start.

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 10 May 2011 00:27

How about Brynjar's two performances against Premier League opposition this season? Nobody's claiming he can play like that every week, but even on Saturday he was very good in the 10 minutes he got. He managed to assist with a tackle ffs. Give him a coaching position if necessary, but I'd be very disappointed to see him leave when he clearly still has something to give.

Plus, we can't really afford to lose another good looking player; we're in danger of becoming the ugliest team in the league.

under the tin

by under the tin » 10 May 2011 08:04

prostak How about Brynjar's two performances against Premier League opposition this season? Nobody's claiming he can play like that every week, but even on Saturday he was very good in the 10 minutes he got. He managed to assist with a tackle ffs. Give him a coaching position if necessary, but I'd be very disappointed to see him leave when he clearly still has something to give.

Plus, we can't really afford to lose another good looking player; we're in danger of becoming the ugliest team in the league.

I fully agree with that, bar the last sentence.

652 posts