Who's going to win the play-offs?

Who do you think will win the play-offs?

Poll ended at 12 May 2011 21:58
Cardiff
8%
Forest
14%
Reading
45%
Swansea
33%

Total votes: 168
Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

Re: Who's going to win the play-offs?

by Svlad Cjelli » 10 May 2011 11:46

Thames Valley Bluebird
Svlad Cjelli No-one's denying what he does for charity. But he's not the type of player that Reading would ever sign, whether they had to pay his wages or not - too much baggage, too much of an ego, too much potential for disrupting the dressing room.

You have to know how this club thinks to understand it - and, no disrespect, I don't think you will - but part of the whole Reading ethos is not "win at all costs" but "win the right way".

But anyway I was just being flippant with the original comment. :wink:

Ha ha ha. I didn't realise Reading were a modern day Corinthian Casuals, a model of sportsmanship and good practice.

Maybe not to that extent, but there is a certain something about "[img]the%20Reading%20Way[/img]" of doing things that means that they won't do things that some other clubs do, including signing certain types of players.

Thames Valley Bluebird

by Thames Valley Bluebird » 10 May 2011 11:51

Svlad Cjelli
Thames Valley Bluebird
Svlad Cjelli No-one's denying what he does for charity. But he's not the type of player that Reading would ever sign, whether they had to pay his wages or not - too much baggage, too much of an ego, too much potential for disrupting the dressing room.

You have to know how this club thinks to understand it - and, no disrespect, I don't think you will - but part of the whole Reading ethos is not "win at all costs" but "win the right way".

But anyway I was just being flippant with the original comment. :wink:

Ha ha ha. I didn't realise Reading were a modern day Corinthian Casuals, a model of sportsmanship and good practice.

Maybe not to that extent, but there is a certain something about "[img]the%20Reading%20Way[/img]" of doing things that means that they won't do things that some other clubs do, including signing certain types of players.

I see your Craig Bellamy and I raise you an Andre Bikey.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 10 May 2011 11:56

Thames Valley Bluebird I see your Craig Bellamy and I raise you an Andre Bikey.

Andre Bikey is a true gentleman. A lovely soft bloke with a real heart. He is passionate on the pitch and a vigarous defender of racism with the occasional headbutt. But he doesn't whine, spit or get in fights on nights out.

He keeps it on the field.

That said Bellamy is a fantastic footballer and I felt sorry for the way Man City refused to let him join another premierleague team. I would probably feel a little bit warmer towards him if he was forgoing the 50% of his beloved hometown club are chipping in for though.

We would obviously take him in a shot if he didnt require more than our total wagebill, reading way or not!

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 10 May 2011 12:17

Thames Valley Bluebird
I see your Craig Bellamy and I raise you an Andre Bikey.

Is this a racial thing?

Thames Valley Bluebird

by Thames Valley Bluebird » 10 May 2011 12:26

Z175
Thames Valley Bluebird I see your Craig Bellamy and I raise you an Andre Bikey.

Andre Bikey is a true gentleman. A lovely soft bloke with a real heart. He is passionate on the pitch and a vigarous defender of racism with the occasional headbutt. But he doesn't whine, spit or get in fights on nights out.

He keeps it on the field.

That said Bellamy is a fantastic footballer and I felt sorry for the way Man City refused to let him join another premierleague team. I would probably feel a little bit warmer towards him if he was forgoing the 50% of his beloved hometown club are chipping in for though.

We would obviously take him in a shot if he didnt require more than our total wagebill, reading way or not!

We pay 20,000 a week of his 90,000 wages. It's a quite bizarre arrangement.

And PlasticRoyale - ??????, it's a demonstration that Reading have had players of dubious intention in the past too.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 10 May 2011 12:31

Maybe, but not knowingly. Bikey was pretty much an an unknown quantity they took a gamble on. Halford's character was fully investigated and when they discovered that contrary to expectations he was a billy big bollocks he was shipped out PDQ.

There certainly is a list of players that RFC wouldn't touch with a bargepole - not for the morals or ethics, particularly, but because of the effect they'd have on the dressing room.

Not sure if CB would be on that list - but he has a lot of the characteristics of some on it.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 10 May 2011 12:45

Ian Royal I'd say Swansea.

Cardiff, Forest and us have a bit of a bottle job history. And I think they play the better, more reliable football. Though they'll struggle in the Prem.

I'd rather we lose to Cardiff in the semi than Swansea in the final. Imagine Todger's smug face if he does the trebble over us.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 May 2011 12:47

marcusopp

Cardiff, Forest and us have a bit of a bottle job history. And I think they play the better, more reliable football. Though they'll struggle in the Prem.

I'd rather we lose to Cardiff in the semi than Swansea in the final. Imagine Todger's smug face if he does the trebble over us.

But imagine OURS if we beat them 3-0

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 10 May 2011 13:56

marcusopp

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Because it rhymes with Rodgers and is a willy! Brilliant! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 10 May 2011 14:21

Thames Valley Bluebird

And PlasticRoyale - ??????, it's a demonstration that Reading have had players of dubious intention in the past too.

Explanation acceptable - carry on

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 May 2011 16:01

My memory is a bit crap but I can't remember Andre Bikey ever hitting a team-mate with a golf club because the guy refused to sing a song. Nor can I remember him being accused of hitting women, threatening to fake an injury and throwing a chair at an assistant manager.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 May 2011 16:08

sandman My memory is a bit crap but I can't remember Andre Bikey ever hitting a team-mate with a golf club because the guy refused to sing a song. Nor can I remember him being accused of hitting women, threatening to fake an injury and throwing a chair at an assistant manager.

We did employ John Oster though.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 10 May 2011 16:09

Platypuss
sandman My memory is a bit crap but I can't remember Andre Bikey ever hitting a team-mate with a golf club because the guy refused to sing a song. Nor can I remember him being accused of hitting women, threatening to fake an injury and throwing a chair at an assistant manager.

What did he do?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 10 May 2011 16:25

Sarah Star
Platypuss

What did he do?

Blazed a trail down which Ashley Cole recently strolled.

NB - does not involve mobile phones

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 10 May 2011 16:31

Sarah Star
Platypuss

What did he do?

Ended the career of a team-mate by shooting him in the eye with an air rifle.
Police caution for fighting outside a nightclub
Arrested over a "roasting" incident.
I'm sure there's more.

Nasty pice of work all told, and played for WaLOLes but is seemingly without Bellamy's redeeming features.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 May 2011 16:32

What did he do (off the pitch) whilst playing for Reading?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 11 May 2011 11:45

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 May 2011 18:27

Snowball I've narrowed it down to four clubs.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 11 May 2011 18:50

We heard you the first time. Very amusing. :roll:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 May 2011 18:54

That was for Maguire.

I'm repeating what I previously said, that I don't think it's (sensibly) predictable