Isn't there just a little bit of you that is happy ...

Half Man Half Biscuit

Isn't there just a little bit of you that is happy ...

by Half Man Half Biscuit » 31 May 2011 01:40

.. for Brendan Rodgers.

It didn't work out for him in charge of Reading, and now he's done for Swansea what I think he really wanted to do for us at Reading.

Good luck in the Premier League Brendan.

AR Royal

Re: Isn't there just a little bit of you that is happy ...

by AR Royal » 31 May 2011 01:44

Yep, fair play to him. Didnt work out at Reading but he has moved on and done well for himself. Like's his team to play an attractive brand of football and has stuck to it.

However i cant see them surviving in the premiership if they try to play the same way. Teams like stoke give Arsenal (who have players of a way higher quality than Swansea) a very tough time. They will need a plan B.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 31 May 2011 01:45

Not really :|

I've got a real uppity funk on about Rodgers' comments after the game. Doesn't take satisfaction from beating Reading, he says. They gave me my chance, but he just didn't bring what was needed there. "Someone coming in trying to pass the ball, you know, playing attractive attacking football with tactical discipline ... my way of working just didn't suit at that time."

Well, ok, it's a bit :lol: and there is some truth in it.

But it's a massive slight to McDermott who played some wonderful football with the same players last year, and again on occasion this year. Swansea play great football but there's more than one way to skin a cat. He's claiming a monopoly on attractive attacking football and it's rubbish. He sounds an arrogant egotistical fool. Again.

We scored 8 more goals than you this season Brendan.
Last edited by RobRoyal on 31 May 2011 02:31, edited 1 time in total.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 31 May 2011 02:20

No, no there isn't just a little bit of me that is happy.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 May 2011 04:17

Nope not a bit. I really don't care about the fortunes of the other teams, coaches and players...except when they play us and then I hope it is all bad for them. :wink:

I am a bit happy about the way we fought back today, which is a story for another thread tho.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 May 2011 04:47

I'm happy for Brendan, hope he does well but I also hope he gets another crack at the Reading job when the time IS right for him.

In the meantime let's hope Brian can unearth another bag of wonders next season, certainly going to take some doing....

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 31 May 2011 06:57

Rodgers found a club that wanted to play in the the Rodgers way, good luck to him.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 31 May 2011 07:19

Rodgers and Reading got what they deserved.

Good luck Brendan.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 31 May 2011 07:26

Have to say I'm looking forward to a lot of Saturday 3pm games instead of the Sunday / early or late Saturday kick off times we had in the Prem

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 31 May 2011 08:05

Big Foot Have to say I'm looking forward to a lot of Saturday 3pm games instead of the Sunday / early or late Saturday kick off times we had in the Prem

quite, and TBH I would rather Swansea and Brendan made it than Billy Davies or the financially doped Cardiff.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 31 May 2011 08:26

Very pleased for him. A real shame it didn't work out with us. Given time it would have done and the pleasure his playing style would have brought us all (well, most of us) would have been immense.

He isn't everyone's cup of tea as he talks in circles and cliches but I think he's a genuinely nice guy with the right ideas about football. I like BMc a lot, and he's doing a terrific job, but I'm still gutted Brendan Rodgers was sacked.

Winchester Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Winchester Royal » 31 May 2011 08:27

Fair play to Brendan, he's gone to Swansea and in his first full season managing them (or any club), he's taken them up. It didn't work out at Reading because he tried to do the right things at the wrong time. We needed results, he didn't deliver. He had to leave when he did or we could have gone down.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 31 May 2011 08:27

I am pleased for him......despite sounding like an arrogant knob, I do think he means us no ill will. I think he was really stung by SJM sacking him. I'd rather it was us that went up. As it wasn't us, I can't think of another Championship team who I'd prefer to go up instead of Swansea. There are many I wouldn't want to go up.......Cardiff being one of them!!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 31 May 2011 08:34

I've moved on..............

Half Man Half Biscuit

by Half Man Half Biscuit » 31 May 2011 09:58

Royal Rother Very pleased for him. A real shame it didn't work out with us. Given time it would have done and the pleasure his playing style would have brought us all (well, most of us) would have been immense.

He isn't everyone's cup of tea as he talks in circles and cliches but I think he's a genuinely nice guy with the right ideas about football. I like BMc a lot, and he's doing a terrific job, but I'm still gutted Brendan Rodgers was sacked.

Yeah RR - that's the type of reply I'd hoped we could all post, no malice, if it couldn't be us then I hope Brendan would be our second choice.

Very near...far away

by Very near...far away » 31 May 2011 10:03

He was with our club for over 10 years and, for the most part, never says anything disparaging about the club since leaving.

That's decent enough, and I wish him well.

yuomi

by yuomi » 31 May 2011 10:05

...i'm happy for his collection of oversized watches. with his new prem wages im sure he'll be able to afford a right pearler.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 31 May 2011 10:08

Though i wish the man all the best for next season i just cannot equate to the word happy at the mo.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 31 May 2011 10:39

Winchester Royal Fair play to Brendan, he's gone to Swansea and in his first full season managing them (or any club), he's taken them up. It didn't work out at Reading because he tried to do the right things at the wrong time. We needed results, he didn't deliver. He had to leave when he did or we could have gone down.

This + the significant ground work put in by Martinez and continued by Sousa. I guess he's just got the right DNA for that club.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 31 May 2011 10:52

The little bit of me that is happy is because I get to go to a match 15 minutes up the road now thanks to Ferguson Jr.

The scene of a spectacular collapse under Brendan for RFC too!

I am pleased its working out well for him as he's had nothing bad to say about us ever