FAO Daytrippers

403 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FAO Daytrippers

by floyd__streete » 04 Jun 2011 01:39

leon fair enough, but his overly righteous tone pretty much is replicated throughout the thread by all sides. who's the best fan really is a tiresome subject, it makes everyone look like c*nts

We're all actually c*nts as football fans. Our behaviour is risible; we are selfish, self-important bores who invest a disproportionate amount of energy, angst and analysis in something so utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. And that is because the meaningful things in life are either entirely boring or entirely depressing. No wonder Madejski described football as 'the opium of the masses'. Or did he say 'ambrosia of the masses'? Who cares what that guy thinks anyway - he chooses to sit down at football matches.

So, we're all c*nts. Except of coure Rother, who never tires to remind us that it is only a game and that he exists on a higher plain of consciousness, he is the George Harrison of Hob Nob. I like to worry about unimportant sh*t like football. Because the important stuff in life, it f*cking terrifies me.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 04 Jun 2011 08:47

floyd__streete We're all actually c*nts as football fans. Our behaviour is risible; we are selfish, self-important bores who invest a disproportionate amount of energy, angst and analysis in something so utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. And that is because the meaningful things in life are either entirely boring or entirely depressing.

That quoted bit is the single best thing I have read in my time on Hobnob.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 04 Jun 2011 10:26

St Pauli
floyd__streete We're all actually c*nts as football fans. Our behaviour is risible; we are selfish, self-important bores who invest a disproportionate amount of energy, angst and analysis in something so utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. And that is because the meaningful things in life are either entirely boring or entirely depressing.

As Floyd states - football is the pure escapism from the humdrum of life and no matter what desperation there is out there in our personal lives, it lures us back in like a young kid lost in the fantastic fantasy world of a womans bust.

Of course the arrogance exists - it has to, otherwise the passion dies.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 04 Jun 2011 10:44

Reminds me of that scene in 'looking for eric' where the main character explains that very point.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Jun 2011 10:49

Great film that.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 04 Jun 2011 10:52

It's helped me through some desperate shit in my life. Sad to sad, actually no, i'm proud to say it is sometimes the very highlight of my week.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Jun 2011 11:23

St Pauli Reminds me of that scene in 'looking for eric' where the main character explains that very point.

I haven't see Looking For Eric. I went to Blockbuster but couldn't find it.

As an aside, does anyone else remember Video Box, the best video hire shop in the Earley/Woodley area, it was opposite Suttons Seeds. I remember hiring out such classics as Dot & The Kangaroo and various Police Academy films from there, as well as looking down our noses at those poor unfortunates in the Betamax section. Happier times. Video Box is now Ramgarhia Sikh Centre.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 04 Jun 2011 11:38

The Video Inn in Twyford used to be great, now a shop selling expensive kids stuff. Twyford really seems to be going from decent village to wealthy commuter play pen.

Its all about love film now Floyd.

manny96

by manny96 » 04 Jun 2011 12:17

floyd__streete
We're all actually c*nts as football fans. Our behaviour is risible; we are selfish, self-important bores who invest a disproportionate amount of energy, angst and analysis in something so utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. And that is because the meaningful things in life are either entirely boring or entirely depressing.

True. Although I'm not so sure there really are many more 'meaningful' things in the grand scheme. Most things people seem to think have some deeper meaning i.e. art, literature, music, religion seem to boil down to irresolvable debates and complex sets of rituals and symbols. Even the more staple meaningful concerns - politics, the economy - seem completely irrational when you break it down. Statistically my vote means nothing but it still makes me feel good to do it; our economy is based on the consumption of things that, in essence, we don't really need and the exchange of electronic finance that rarely, if ever, contributes to the bettering of human happiness.

It's not that these things are meaningless but that a lot of their meaning comes from the time and energy people put into them and convincing others of how important they are. My thought is that if people care so much about football (and they clearly do), that is enough to give it meaning. The difference, when it comes to football, is that more (some?) football fans are self-aware enough to realise the absurdity of what they invest their time, passion and money in; as opposed to the rest of the world, which carries on regardless, ignorant to its own lunacy.

Scylla

by Scylla » 04 Jun 2011 23:14

Actually it's complete bollocks.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Jun 2011 23:32

floyd__streete
leon fair enough, but his overly righteous tone pretty much is replicated throughout the thread by all sides. who's the best fan really is a tiresome subject, it makes everyone look like c*nts

We're all actually c*nts as football fans. Our behaviour is risible; we are selfish, self-important bores who invest a disproportionate amount of energy, angst and analysis in something so utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things. And that is because the meaningful things in life are either entirely boring or entirely depressing. No wonder Madejski described football as 'the opium of the masses'. Or did he say 'ambrosia of the masses'? Who cares what that guy thinks anyway - he chooses to sit down at football matches.

So, we're all c*nts. Except of coure Rother, who never tires to remind us that it is only a game and that he exists on a higher plain of consciousness, he is the George Harrison of Hob Nob. I like to worry about unimportant sh*t like football. Because the important stuff in life, it f*cking terrifies me.

it comes down to perspective I guess - football used to regularly ruin weekends/summers/years of my life. still does actually, just that there's (some) more important things that are further up in the queue now. But these self flagellating threads are massively dull though. I don't need some 22 year c*ck telling me how and when to support RFC.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 06 Jun 2011 11:53

I agree

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 06 Jun 2011 11:55

Hiram K Hackenbacker I agree

A quick scan of your posts would suggest you're a bit of a yes man Hiram - any thoughts on this?

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 06 Jun 2011 11:59

I agree

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 06 Jun 2011 12:53

Hmm, that's interesting.

General B
Hob Nob Regular

by General B » 06 Jun 2011 13:02

floyd__streete As an aside, does anyone else remember Video Box, the best video hire shop in the Earley/Woodley area, it was opposite Suttons Seeds. I remember hiring out such classics as Dot & The Kangaroo and various Police Academy films from there, as well as looking down our noses at those poor unfortunates in the Betamax section. Happier times. Video Box is now Ramgarhia Sikh Centre.

I think you'll find B&C Video was the best video shop in the Earley area. The chap who ran it used to tape stuff off the telly and rent it out, including the saucy late night stuff on channel 4.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 06 Jun 2011 19:36

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 09 Jun 2011 00:01

I just wonder how many of the 'Jesters Hats' and 'Face Paint' critics have previously taken part in a call to arms for 'Inflatables Day' ? or even taken an inflatable to a game?
You know the that call generally goes out prior to the last away game of the season.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 09 Jun 2011 01:08

oldebiscuit I just wonder how many of the 'Jesters Hats' and 'Face Paint' critics have previously taken part in a call to arms for 'Inflatables Day' ? or even taken an inflatable to a game?
You know the that call generally goes out prior to the last away game of the season.

Fack off

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 10 Jun 2011 16:24

St Pauli

I was a c*nt and everything else above (according to my ex-wives)) before I watched football so leave the beautiful game out of this please........

403 posts