203 posts
Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Back from the Game - Brighton (H)

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 27 Dec 2011 08:36

Basingstoke Royal
grey_squirrel
SCIAG I hope Mills is back ASAP

And I hope you have too much Xmas Sherry typing that!

We do need mills back. The last couple of games he played he was excellent.

No goals conceded against three top teams and we need a player back, hmmmm ... Nope I disagree.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Dec 2011 08:39

Cripple Creek An interesting perspective you get as one who is a lifelong fan but who never gets to watch games because of my location is that which appears on threads such as Back From The Game. I kind of rely on it for opinion and match reports from other fans. There is a lot of unanimity - for example, while views on Jimmy Kebe are mixed there appears to be a general agreement that "when on form he is great and very hard to play against". Similarly, while views vary on Reading's two goalkeepers "the ongoing Federici, McCarthy debate" - there is again general unanimity that they are both good goalkeepers and that the club has a very healthy "goalkeeping situation". However, there are other players about whom it is very hard to fathom. It is almost impossible as a non-spectator, for example, to have any real idea of the quality of J. Mills. Some seem to think he should be automatic first choice while others are vociferous in their views that he is barely a championship quality player. Same goes, although to a lesser extent, with Karacan.
Just an observation I thought I would share with those of you who read this far.

But we all agree Church is pants :wink:

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Dec 2011 08:43

Handsome Man They played neat attacking football with Mackail-Smith looking a handful and their right winger also strong during the second half. However, their play-acting was pathetic: three times the ref didn't even give a foul let alone the red card all the writhing on the floor seemed to demand.

I have to agree with this. Their only game plan seemed to be to get our players booked and sent off whilst playing 4-5-1 and playing for a draw. Still it was their time they were wasting. Even when 2-0 down they still had a holding midfielder, it's only when he went off that they had a good spell and should of scored.

If CMS gets crocked they'll be in trouble.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 27 Dec 2011 09:54

A great team performance with 3 points well deserved with McAnuff and Karacan outstanding.

Poyet the new Warnock needs to get a life with his antics on the touchline out of order....... He was lucky not to get sent to the stands with his continual applauding of the referees decisions

Noone the Brighton number 11 is worth a look at are you reading this Brian McDermott
Last edited by The Real Sandhurst Royal on 27 Dec 2011 10:02, edited 1 time in total.

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 27 Dec 2011 09:55

I don't think anyone has mentioned this already but was Gorkss injured when he came off ?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 27 Dec 2011 10:11

Thanks for all the reports (thought I was going then couldn't :evil: )

I think those who were unimpressed with the second half performance need to make allowances for our upcoming fixture list.

Even without being there it seems obvious to me, whilst basking in the rare luxury of a two goal advantage at the break and with 2 games in 2 days to come, that our collective feet would have been taken off the gas in the second period.

Furthermore, whatever our personal views on who should make the first 11, right now Brian has scope for some much needed squad rotation, especially if Mills and Robson Kanu are fit by the weekend.

Our toughest game of the holiday season will be away at Cardiff and I'm sure some of the way we approached yesterday's match would have been with this in mind.

Keeping Harte fresh until Monday to face, hopefully, jaded promotion rivals could have distinct advantages, especially when I suspect he may be seen as our reserve centre half should one of Pearce or Gorkks get suspended.

Things are looking very good right now and, as usual, Brian McDermott deserves huge praise for creating a team that is rapidly developing into one that is as good as any in this division, on a budget dwarfed by those still receiving parachute payments.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 27 Dec 2011 10:23

BenReadingFC I quite liked this from NSC

In the mid-70s, in another life, I produced a poster for Royal Mail featuring the Albion. The headline was "Seagulls soar over BN3 7DE" and it featured a game at the Goldstone against Port Vale. It went down pretty well - people were nicking them off the sides of mail vans - and Reading asked for their own version so I went up to Elm Park one midweek morning.

As a I remember, the main stand backed on to a road, like the West Stand at BN3 7DE, and was clad in corrugated iron. Right down at one end was an elderly man up a ladder. He had a pot of blue paint and was painting the cladding in the house colour using a not-exactly-large brush. I asked the club's commercial guy about this heroic effort and he explained that the gent was a lifelong fan, now retired, who was painting the stand as a gesture of support for the club he had followed for 60 years. He wasn't charging.

Six weeks later I returned with a supply of posters. The man on the ladder was still there, but right down the other end of the stand, which was now a pretty strident blue. He'd been there every day for almost the whole summer.

From this I learnt one thing. To its supporters each club is the best club in the world but for this same reason no one should claim that other clubs are second rate. However successful, rich or well-supported a club is, it is no better than any other. It is just a matter of opinion and the postcode of the person speaking's maternity hospital. That needn't reduce the passion we have for our own club, but it should increase the respect we have for others'. Thank you, elderly Reading gent of 35 years ago.

Great story, remonds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEaszN2y9nQ 8)

Used to be a lot of that at Exeter City as well when I lived there, but then that was/is a trust owned club.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 27 Dec 2011 10:27

A hugely enjoyable game; not just the result, but some of our play in the first half was superb.

Its clear that the back 5 and the 2 central midfielders are solid, which gives the foundation for this performance and other recent ones, with the result that we have come into the top 6 almost under the radar.

2nd half of the season looks a lot more intersting than it appeared it would in September!

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Dec 2011 10:29

Royal With Cheese
BenReadingFC I quite liked this from NSC

In the mid-70s, in another life, I produced a poster for Royal Mail featuring the Albion. The headline was "Seagulls soar over BN3 7DE" and it featured a game at the Goldstone against Port Vale. It went down pretty well - people were nicking them off the sides of mail vans - and Reading asked for their own version so I went up to Elm Park one midweek morning.

As a I remember, the main stand backed on to a road, like the West Stand at BN3 7DE, and was clad in corrugated iron. Right down at one end was an elderly man up a ladder. He had a pot of blue paint and was painting the cladding in the house colour using a not-exactly-large brush. I asked the club's commercial guy about this heroic effort and he explained that the gent was a lifelong fan, now retired, who was painting the stand as a gesture of support for the club he had followed for 60 years. He wasn't charging.

Six weeks later I returned with a supply of posters. The man on the ladder was still there, but right down the other end of the stand, which was now a pretty strident blue. He'd been there every day for almost the whole summer.

From this I learnt one thing. To its supporters each club is the best club in the world but for this same reason no one should claim that other clubs are second rate. However successful, rich or well-supported a club is, it is no better than any other. It is just a matter of opinion and the postcode of the person speaking's maternity hospital. That needn't reduce the passion we have for our own club, but it should increase the respect we have for others'. Thank you, elderly Reading gent of 35 years ago.

That's a great story - some of our younger fans would do well to remember this sort of gesture in years gone by.

Agreed - but it only works when people support their local team, or the team that their family grew up with. When they grow up supporting a "global brand" because they're successful and on TV all the time that's when it starts to fall down.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 27 Dec 2011 10:36

Don't get all the Karacan (of) love. Yes he runs around a lot but he can't play a forward pass to save his life. The one time he did to release McAnuff it went straight through his legs - presumably because Jobi was so aghast to see the ball travelling towards him and not bloody Griffin or Gorkss.

Brighton were Jekyll and Hyde. Created 4 or 5 top quality chances but couldn't finish any of them. CMS got his move to a bigger club - one promoted with Peterborough last year :| and now 1 point and 2 places above them :| :| and as for the woeful play acting, spare me. Two highlights - LuaLua sneaking a look up off the ground before collapsing back to his prone position, and Buckley getting tackled by Griffin then deciding he'd lost the will to play on so had a nice sit down. And our fukking players always put the ball out. WHY? Play on, it's their own fault they're a group of nancy boys.

Ref had a good game, if being a massive homer. They should've got a penalty and a few more fouls. And he should have booked their players every time they went down.

Oh yeah, Reading performances. McAnuff outstanding, the rest of them just pretty efficient really.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Dec 2011 10:40

chilipepper91 Don't get all the Karacan (of) love. Yes he runs around a lot but he can't play a forward pass to save his life. The one time he did to release McAnuff it went straight through his legs - presumably because Jobi was so aghast to see the ball travelling towards him and not bloody Griffin or Gorkss.

It's James Harper all over again - a player who gets everywhere around the pitch, is constantly disrupting the opposition and always in their faces stopping them playing - and is criticised for doing that job so well by people who want every player to be an attacker. Stop the attack, give the ball to someone better placed = job done.

Would you refer someone like Marek Matejovsky, who could play some great passes forward but because he couldn't tackle to save his life he never had the ball in the firsat place to pass?

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 27 Dec 2011 10:49

Svlad Cjelli
chilipepper91 Don't get all the Karacan (of) love. Yes he runs around a lot but he can't play a forward pass to save his life. The one time he did to release McAnuff it went straight through his legs - presumably because Jobi was so aghast to see the ball travelling towards him and not bloody Griffin or Gorkss.

It's James Harper all over again - a player who gets everywhere around the pitch, is constantly disrupting the opposition and always in their faces stopping them playing - and is criticised for doing that job so well by people who want every player to be an attacker. Stop the attack, give the ball to someone better placed = job done.

Would you refer someone like Marek Matejovsky, who could play some great passes forward but because he couldn't tackle to save his life he never had the ball in the firsat place to pass?

Harper split opinions too. But Harper generally had Sidwell alongside him, who was far more dynamic a player in terms of getting forward. "Stop the attack" = stop our own attack? I'd prefer a little bit of adventure to be honest, like Leigertwood who actually had a go on occasion. Every time Karacan got the ball he was never looking to take it forward, only to stop, turn and pass it backwards. Nearly resulted in a massive chance for them when he played a hospital ball to Gorkss, who got a very nice block from Pearce to get us out of jail.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Dec 2011 10:52

chilipepper91
Svlad Cjelli

Harper split opinions too. But Harper generally had Sidwell alongside him, who was far more dynamic a player in terms of getting forward. "Stop the attack" = stop our own attack? I'd prefer a little bit of adventure to be honest, like Leigertwood who actually had a go on occasion. Every time Karacan got the ball he was never looking to take it forward, only to stop, turn and pass it backwards. Nearly resulted in a massive chance for them when he played a hospital ball to Gorkss, who got a very nice block from Pearce to get us out of jail.

Strange - because I remember Karacan tearing up the right wing leading the attack yesterday. Sounds pretty adventurous for a defensive midfielder to me.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 27 Dec 2011 10:56

I think he's just saying Karacan is not creative enough. He certainly busts a gut to get forward on a break, or conversely to cover an opposition break. You certainly need someone like him in the team, someone with enough energy and running to keep going 90+mins, but creativity is just not his game.
Last edited by PieEater on 27 Dec 2011 10:56, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 27 Dec 2011 10:56

Brighton were Jekyll and Hyde. Created 4 or 5 top quality chances but couldn't finish any of them. CMS got his move to a bigger club - one promoted with Peterborough last year :| and now 1 point and 2 places above them :| :| and as for the woeful play acting, spare me. Two highlights - LuaLua sneaking a look up off the ground before collapsing back to his prone position, and Buckley getting tackled by Griffin then deciding he'd lost the will to play on so had a nice sit down. And our fukking players always put the ball out. WHY? Play on, it's their own fault they're a group of nancy boys.

Ref had a good game, if being a massive homer. They should've got a penalty and a few more fouls. And he should have booked their players every time they went down.

Oh yeah, Reading performances. McAnuff outstanding, the rest of them just pretty efficient really.

How many good creative midfielders do you see in this division? I don't see many and someone has to do the dirty work. Jem does what he does very well and has actually improved his passing in the last 12 months. The way the team is set up it relies on the wingers to be the creative force and personally I think Ledge is the one who should be gambling and getting in the box more to try and get on the end of potential crosses. We need someone who is prepared to play a simple pass and retain possession rather than just lump it up to our tiny forwards.

Bucks Dave

by Bucks Dave » 27 Dec 2011 11:01

I also seem to remember Karacan the furthest player forward in their box at one point and desperate for the ball. Three clean sheets, three teams we're not keen on beaten, I'll stick with this side thanks.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Dec 2011 11:04

PieEater I think he's just saying Karacan is not creative enough. He certainly busts a gut to get forward on a break, or conversely to cover an opposition break. You certainly need someone like him in the team, someone with enough energy and running to keep going 90+mins, but creativity is just not his game.

Maybe - but if so then I think he has unrealistic expectations of any player at this level. I'd rather have a spoiler who does that job supremely well and passes to someone else who can be creative, rather than someone who's a bit creative and a bit of a spoiler.

In any case, I think the contention that he's not good at passing is correct - in the past I've seen him play some superbly-weighted diagonal passes for attackers to run onto. Are we sure he's not being criticised here because of the role he's being asked to play?

chandog

by chandog » 27 Dec 2011 11:13

Brilliant result from a game that could easily have turned out differently had brighton been able to take any of the chances they created in the second half.

The back 5 looked pretty solid despite brighton making 3 or 4 clear goalscoring chances, but this is going to happen in a competitive league where every team can match each other. The bottom line of it is that we have 3 clean sheets in a row against 3 promotion chasing teams, maybe not so much the case for brighton now. For the rest of the season i am going to be terrified of one of pearce or gorkss picking up and injury or suspension. They are a brilliant partnership, its great to see pearce developing into a first team regular thanks to the influence of gorkss alongside him.

Thought karacan and leigertwood worked really hard and did a good job of breaking up play and keeping possession in the first half. Bit disappointing that we reverted to a bit of long ball stuff for the second half and seemed unwilling to keep the ball on the deck like the first half. Neither are particularly creative on the ball, karacan especially today was only looking for the simple pass back or across the pitch, but that keeps us in possession which is a good thing. Leigertwood was attempting quite a few runs forward to be fair to him.

The front two worked their socks off and had very little service to feed off. The second half was frustrating for them both as we were just punting the ball up to them and as neither are the biggest of targets that style of play is unlikely to suit them that well.

Mcanuff was brilliant, easily our best and most productive player today.

The only negative for me was unfortunately my favourite player, kebe. He really didnt seem interested once we went one up. He was getting involved nicely for the first half hour and was very unlucky not to open the scoring and also did well for the assist of jobi's first. But after that i cant really think of any times that he broke out of a jog and attacked the full backs with any real commitment. He did get another assist with the last goal but he was passed the ball and just played it across the box.

I really want to see kebe in a reading shirt every week as on his day he is our best player and will scare any defender in the country with his pace. But when he is clearly not that interested it is a bit of a wasted position as we have young and hungry players on the bench and in the reserves who would give their all if they were given a chance. I was watching him at the end of the game and perhaps worringly he was the first off the pitch, before all the brighton players. I hope im reading too much into this but yesterday his overall body language and effort didnt reflect a player who was happy at the club and enjoying the brilliant season we are having so far.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 27 Dec 2011 11:16

chandog The only negative for me was unfortunately my favourite player, kebe. He really didnt seem interested once we went one up. He was getting involved nicely for the first half hour and was very unlucky not to open the scoring and also did well for the assist of jobi's first. But after that i cant really think of any times that he broke out of a jog and attacked the full backs with any real commitment. He did get another assist with the last goal but he was passed the ball and just played it across the box.

I really want to see kebe in a reading shirt every week as on his day he is our best player and will scare any defender in the country with his pace. But when he is clearly not that interested it is a bit of a wasted position as we have young and hungry players on the bench and in the reserves who would give their all if they were given a chance. I was watching him at the end of the game and perhaps worringly he was the first off the pitch, before all the brighton players. I hope im reading too much into this but yesterday his overall body language and effort didnt reflect a player who was happy at the club and enjoying the brilliant season we are having so far.

TBF he's always really seemed to be disinterested a bit, even when he's playing superbly and tearing defences apart. I think it's just the way he is rather than anything we can read too much into.

chandog

by chandog » 27 Dec 2011 11:21

Svlad Cjelli
chandog The only negative for me was unfortunately my favourite player, kebe. He really didnt seem interested once we went one up. He was getting involved nicely for the first half hour and was very unlucky not to open the scoring and also did well for the assist of jobi's first. But after that i cant really think of any times that he broke out of a jog and attacked the full backs with any real commitment. He did get another assist with the last goal but he was passed the ball and just played it across the box.

TBF he's always really seemed to be disinterested a bit, even when he's playing superbly and tearing defences apart. I think it's just the way he is rather than anything we can read too much into.

i really hope so. and i also hope we tie him down to a new contract and all this speculation will be over. im sure this is affecting him and we can just settle down and focus on how he is going to help us get towards promotion

203 posts