Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Matthew Connolly Signs

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 13:16

:lol: :lol:

Ghost Royal

by Ghost Royal » 31 Jan 2012 13:19

FiNeRaIn
...its massively unlikely that someone who failed to prove themselves at derby who had been woeful the last few years is going to come in and create the chances we are lacking.

LOL :D You've been playing too much Football Manager...people are not like computer simulations...perhaps he was underperforming because he didn't get on with the other lads or the manager, or was too far away from home. Just because he didn't get on at Derby, does not mean he won't get on at Reading. And tbf, I think the Derby backroom staff and the Reading backroom staff know a little bit more about his ability than you do (or if you do know more than them, you're certainly very good at hiding it on here).
Last edited by Ghost Royal on 31 Jan 2012 18:32, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 13:20

We are getting in Keith Andrews, im not arsed with that argument anymore now we are getting in this proven genius with a goal scoring record. much needed.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Jan 2012 13:20

Ghost Royal perhaps he was underperforming because he didn't get on with the other lads or the manager, or was too far away from home.

Reading is about 150 miles nearer Poland than Derby, so this should ensure we get the best out of him :|

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 13:21

rofl

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 31 Jan 2012 13:22

comeonyouroyals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Connolly

Was him and Gorks that formed their cb pair last season so can't be to bad.

not heard of him but if so then can see why - then again pearce is getting better with every game and id stick with pearce - cant believe im saying that after his first 5 or so games this season

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Jan 2012 13:23

floyd__streete
Snowball Let's remember this post for when we pinch second at Birmingham

These are GREAT signings IMO

Tongue slightly in cheek. Roberts is a good signing for the short term. I do not know enough about the others, they give us extra options I guess. I wanted a ball playing central midfielder but I guess that's unlikely now. As has been said in this thread, lets get top 6 now, inevitably lose in the play-offs and then move on some of the mediocrity in our squad in the summer to have a proper good go next season.

If we get second I'll sell my three houses.

no need to sell all 3, just give me one of them

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Jan 2012 13:24

Snowball no need to sell all 3, just give me one of them

No, I insist it'll be all 3.

*No home-o*

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 31 Jan 2012 13:26

floyd__streete
Ghost Royal perhaps he was underperforming because he didn't get on with the other lads or the manager, or was too far away from home.

Reading is about 150 miles nearer Poland than Derby, so this should ensure we get the best out of him :|

Never understimate the power of Gospoda

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Jan 2012 13:30

BR2
Hoop Blah This looks a cracking signing but I'd be a little surprised if McDermott had him pencilled in as a left back (although it does sound like we might've been in the market for one).

Connelly, from what I remember of him, is very much a centre half who can play left back a bit. McDermott, much like Coppell, likes his fullbacks to be fullbacks and be ready and able to support the attack. I don't get the impression that Connelly really fits that bill. It could be that McDermott is looking for something a bit different (perhaps to release the shackles in midfield a bit?) and that's why he's gone for him.

Either way, another positive sign that we're looking at the right kind of players at the moment. It makes quite a refreshing change!

Same thoughts as you Hoops.
IIRC he is right-footed (May be wrong and Vision argued with me years ago about left-backs not needing to be left-footed which I disagreed with then and still do today)so we don't need another right-footed left-back to take the place of Griff.

Well you disagreed with it until I pointed out that Houllier played Carragher at left back for your beloved Liverpool for ages without too many complaints.... :wink:

Arguably the best full-back in the last 10 years or so Lahm has played alot of it on the supposed wrong side

FWIW I always said ideally players should play on their correct sides if possible but from a defensive standpoint its not as much of an issue. It's probably more important in an attacking fullback sense in providing overlap runs and getting crosses in. If Connolly were to be more of a Cummings type and barely cross the hallfway line then in my view its not as much of a problem. Its why I'd probably play Cummings at Left back and Griffin at right back if that was the choice available even though Griffin himself says he played a lot of his early career at left back.

Anyway glad to clear that 10 year old debate up. It's clearly been worrying you :wink:

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Jan 2012 13:39

Good signing imo. Gives us cover at CB and might have enough pace to be used at LB. Would like to see one more come in but if not it doesn't matter...a window where we are not sweating about losing players is much different than usual.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 31 Jan 2012 13:45

floyd__streete I wanted a ball playing central midfielder but I guess that's unlikely now.

It was never going to happen in a 4-4-2.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 13:45

BR2
Hoop Blah This looks a cracking signing but I'd be a little surprised if McDermott had him pencilled in as a left back (although it does sound like we might've been in the market for one).

Connelly, from what I remember of him, is very much a centre half who can play left back a bit. McDermott, much like Coppell, likes his fullbacks to be fullbacks and be ready and able to support the attack. I don't get the impression that Connelly really fits that bill. It could be that McDermott is looking for something a bit different (perhaps to release the shackles in midfield a bit?) and that's why he's gone for him.

Either way, another positive sign that we're looking at the right kind of players at the moment. It makes quite a refreshing change!

Same thoughts as you Hoops.
IIRC he is right-footed (May be wrong and Vision argued with me years ago about left-backs not needing to be left-footed which I disagreed with then and still do today)so we don't need another right-footed left-back to take the place of Griff.
My other memory is of him being a bit reckless and headstrong like Mills.
As a centre-back a very sensible signing to put paid to the nonsense spouted on here about the geriatric Harte filling in if necessary.
All we need to do now is offload Church,Hunt,Manset and Williams and bring in a couple of strikers that could provide strong options to supplement Alf and Roberts and that would do for the moment meaning promotion as a viable chance rather than an outside possibility.

id be keeping hunt and church till the summer at least since roberts is no spring chicken, and once he retires we'll be left with no established back up, or younguns coming through.

or am i thinking as if we still have no money
(th edeal isnt done yet so..)

bripps

by bripps » 31 Jan 2012 13:46

Silver Fox
floyd__streete

Never understimate the power of Gospoda

:lol: :lol: :lol:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 13:47

FiNeRaIn Unfortunately that foundation also included taarabt and faurlin

We have karacan, elwood and tabb. :lol: :lol:

taarabt cant get a game for them now either- guess youd turn your nose up at him too :wink:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 13:48

Ghost Royal
FiNeRaIn
melonhead
...its massively unlikely that someone who failed to prove themselves at derby who had been woeful the last few years is going to come in and create the chances we are lacking.

LOL :D You've been playing too much Football Manager...people are not like computer simulations...perhaps he was underperforming because he didn't get on with the other lads or the manager, or was too far away from home. Just because he didn't get on at Derby, does not mean he won't get on at Reading. And tbf, I think the Derby backroom staff and the Reading backroom staff know a little bit more about his ability than you do (or if you do know more than them, you're certainly very good at hiding it on here).

welcome new type

please sort out your quote so i am no longer associated with finerains negative drivel :wink:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 13:48

royalsteve
comeonyouroyals http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Connolly

Was him and Gorks that formed their cb pair last season so can't be to bad.

not heard of him but if so then can see why - then again pearce is getting better with every game and id stick with pearce - cant believe im saying that after his first 5 or so games this season

tbf every time pearce has had a consistent partnership with someone for a period of games hes been great

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 31 Jan 2012 13:49

FiNeRaIn Sorry but no. He was released by derby, spent 10 mins on the wing and is not proven. Can you please stop repeating him like you think its valid?

We need a regular starter next to karacan who is going to create now, not someone for the future.

FineRain - do you concede that playing McAnuff, Kebe AND a creative attacking midfielder (ahead of a DM) is a little gung-ho and would probably result in the team conceding more goals?

People cannot proclaim Cywka as the answer yet, but as the same time you cannot declare he is not the answer.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 13:51

McD cclearly sees him as some sort of possible answer

and McD>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NClough>>>>>>>>>>Finerain

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 31 Jan 2012 13:56

floyd__streete Aged striker who Blackburn couldn't get rid of quickly enough. Derby reject. And now a QPR reserve.

Who else is on the board of TSI? Mark Goldberg and Spencer Trethewy?

I'd forgotten about Trethewy!

138 posts