Back from the game - Pompey

RockheadRumple

Re: Back from the game - Pompey

by RockheadRumple » 07 Mar 2012 11:23

He was still contributing more than Hunt down the left. What was that about?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 07 Mar 2012 11:39

melonhead a word about the pompey fans.

superb attitude. id hate to see what wed be like in those circumstances.

actually started to feel sorry for them after tonight, whereas before i was actively hoping theyd fold

Reading fans may not be as feral as some fans, but I believe the core fans have backbone. Look at the way we kept going to the stad and supporting the team during that huge run of never winning a single home game. Some of the groups of fans that have the most legendary reputation, such as Liverpool fans and Newcastle fans, can turn very vicious indeed, for less reason.

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 07 Mar 2012 11:45

Remember, it was just a funeral friendly, we're not gonna get too excited, (prob why the players didn't get out of 2nd gear),
but one of Pompeys last nights out, so let them enjoy it, they haven't got many left. :lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 07 Mar 2012 11:48

Can't stand pompey fans, the audacity of calling us a shit club and singing about winning the FA cup. Their FA cup win was the most hollow in the entire history of the competition and most football fans think that. It was bought with players they couldn't afford with money they never had. How they could go around paying players the wages they were with an average attendance of 18,000 :lol: :lol: dream on.

Yes their fans sing a lot and fair play for that, that's about their only plus point in an otherwise horrid club. They are ridiculously fickle thinking anyone takes their short term success serious, as far as I am concerned cardiff won that FA cup as they were there legitimately there in the first place.

Had this state of affairs happened to a nicer club with more down to earth approachable fans than I would have a lot more sympathy for the fans of said club, as it stands I genuinely do hope pompey go bust and disappear off the map, its the least they deserve after oxf*rd over so many hard working people.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Mar 2012 11:53

RockheadRumple Contrary to some views on here, I thought McAnuff was pretty much our only threatening attacker. He was taking on his man often and had a few decent looking shots on target. Why he was subbed off instead of Hunt for Cywka (and why that substitution didn't happen earlier) I have no ruddy clue.

Because he recently had an op and he needs protecting for March and April?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 07 Mar 2012 12:05

Apologies if already mentioned but I don't believe Dave Kitson touched the ball even once last night

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 07 Mar 2012 12:07

I fully expected to see Portsmouth fighting like terriers, fired up by the injustice of it all but, instead, thought Portsmouth, the players, management and fans, had thrown in the towel. No spirit or fight, no urgency and no apperent desire to get something out of the game.

Obviously yellow cards aren't a good thing but it's telling that Portsmouth picked up none in a game they onlylost by the odd goal, at a time when they are in what is usually referred to as a 'fight against relegation'. I saw no fight whatsoever.

Ghost Royal

by Ghost Royal » 07 Mar 2012 12:25

FiNeRaIn Their FA cup win was the most hollow in the entire history of the competition and most football fans think that. It was bought with players they couldn't afford with money they never had. How they could go around paying players the wages they were with an average attendance of 18,000 :lol: :lol: dream on.

Sorry for going off topic, but isn't this one of the most pervasive football myths around at the moment...that attendance figures are a major revenue stream for top flight football clubs when compared to TV rights, merchandise, licencsing and other revenue streams? The difference between having 18,000 bums on seats compared to 35,000 bums on seats is tiny compared to the other amounts of cash coming in and coming out of clubs.

(Dellor repeated the myth on the build up to last night's match....that the board must be very pleased to see the cash coming in from an average attendance of 18,000 as oppossed to 16,000...think about it, at £25 per ticket, that's only an extra £50,000 per week which is nothing compared to other incomes / outgoings. You may as well talk about how programme sales are up from 2,500 per match to 2,575).

Back on topic...I thought the pitch looked nice...just a shame we decided to keep the ball in the air for long periods!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Mar 2012 12:39

RockheadRumple He was still contributing more than Hunt down the left. What was that about?

On this topic....... HRK was utter dross (again), but I really could not see the sense of having hunt there, unless it really was out only tactic to pump it in the air to him for flick-ons.

Jobi should have gone left and Cywka on the right.

Have to say, ace run aside, some of Brian's subs are starting to concern me

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Mar 2012 12:46

I found the Pompey singing pretty monotonous.

Bit like the whole game really................................

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Mar 2012 12:54

Ghost Royal
FiNeRaIn Their FA cup win was the most hollow in the entire history of the competition and most football fans think that. It was bought with players they couldn't afford with money they never had. How they could go around paying players the wages they were with an average attendance of 18,000 :lol: :lol: dream on.

Sorry for going off topic, but isn't this one of the most pervasive football myths around at the moment...that attendance figures are a major revenue stream for top flight football clubs when compared to TV rights, merchandise, licencsing and other revenue streams? The difference between having 18,000 bums on seats compared to 35,000 bums on seats is tiny compared to the other amounts of cash coming in and coming out of clubs.

(Dellor repeated the myth on the build up to last night's match....that the board must be very pleased to see the cash coming in from an average attendance of 18,000 as oppossed to 16,000...think about it, at £25 per ticket, that's only an extra £50,000 per week which is nothing compared to other incomes / outgoings. You may as well talk about how programme sales are up from 2,500 per match to 2,575).

Back on topic...I thought the pitch looked nice...just a shame we decided to keep the ball in the air for long periods!

What exactly are all these other income streams that are paying so much?

Serious question.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 07 Mar 2012 12:54

Ghost Royal

Of course its not all based on gate receipts, to put into perspective...reading didn't spend an eighth of what pompey did on wages/transfer fee's in the prem and we still struggled financially coming down. Portsmouth are not a liverpool, man utd arsenal,etc and dont have big income from merchandising. Where do you think their money came from? oh wait....it wasn't legitimate was it, go back to being a ghost and disappear.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 07 Mar 2012 13:09

John Madejski's Wallet Have to say, ace run aside, some of Brian's subs are starting to concern me

:|

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 07 Mar 2012 13:11

Thought the first half was very good, whether that was down to a very abject Portsmouth side or whether it was us causing so many problems I am not sure, but either way, 1st half was very pleasing. Very good goal.

2nd half was pretty disappointing, Portsmouth upped their game from the first half although they couldn't get much worse to be honest. However I feel that if we had conceded I think we could have got out of 1/2 gear and put another good move together.

Overall, 7th win in a row and its very hard to criticise the team.

Disappointed with Ledge though.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Mar 2012 13:27

1871 Royal

Everyone is entitled to an off day.

Thought he was lucky to avoid a yellow.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 07 Mar 2012 13:29

Was sitting in the posh(ish) seats with a Pompey fan last night. His preference is to let the club die, as it is to far gone and the fans will never get it back.
We discussed whether AFC Pompey would need to start in the Combined Counties/ Get in higher up the Pyramid/ Take-over Havant & W'ville.

Their was no pattern to their play, they played like strangers, but they had the better of centre midfield that in turn broke up our attacking play (i.e. getting it out to the wings).

btw Jimmy Kebbe had a nice herringbone overcoat - 'he wears what he wants'

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 07 Mar 2012 13:34

Gordons Cumming
1871 Royal

Everyone is entitled to an off day.

Of course. It was more of a shame that he didn't play too well.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 07 Mar 2012 15:16

melonhead
Geekins

actually started to feel sorry for them after tonight, whereas before i was actively hoping theyd fold

Yes they sang but they were embarassing in the second half pretending to score a goal and we are going up chant. I'd be too embarassed to sing stuff like that.

and thats the problem with modern reading fans- too embarrassed to sing- maybe thats why our ground is deathly silent for much of the game.

shit songs>>>>>>>>no songs

Not when it involves taking the piss out of your own club. We were laughing and mocking them and it highlighted even more so what a joke club they are.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Mar 2012 15:20

facaldaqui

Reading fans may not be as feral as some fans, but I believe the core fans have backbone. Look at the way we kept going to the stad and supporting the team during that huge run of never winning a single home game. Some of the groups of fans that have the most legendary reputation, such as Liverpool fans and Newcastle fans, can turn very vicious indeed, for less reason.

agree with that

maybe i just need to move seats

East End Lady

by East End Lady » 07 Mar 2012 15:52

Just in case the person concerned does post on here can I say thankyou to you for handing my nephew's rucksack into the counter staff in the East stand yesterday